Gilmore Lite DPS SQ improvement?
Jul 26, 2006 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
I will finally be able to purchase my gilmore lite amp along with some 701's within a week. Now I'm thinking if I should get the DPS while I'm at it and save about 25$ as opposed to buying it later on(if i wanted). For those who have A and B'ed the amp with the dps, could you give some feedback about the SQ difference it made. Would you recommend me get this set up for 500$ or is there a better amp out there to get at that price range?

another reason I want to get the dps and gilmore lite is because they look so good together =P

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 12
TBH, in my opinion, the DPS isn't worth the cost increase, especially considering the price and value of the glite. I had a glite v2 for a while, got rid of it switching to tubes, then borrowed a glite v2 and dps for a week be4 buying a gs-1. Kind of screwy logic, that i'd pay 600$ for the gs-1, but not 400$ for the glite + dps. I guess, at 400$, theres more you can do with your money for amps.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 12
I used to own the Gilmore Lite with the stock Elpac power supply and decided to try the DPS. I personally could not hear ANY difference between the two after an hour of A/B/A testing. For this, I would listen to a portion of a song over and over for a few minutes, then quickly unplug one power supply and plug in the other.

Jul 27, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 12
wah, so many different opinions. at this rate, I think Ill buy the amp now and decide if I want to upgrade later. I was thinking I would just buy the lite and upgrade to the gs-1 later on when upgraditis strikes.

Jul 27, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 12
It depends largely on the power where you live. I bought a standard Lite and then upgraded to the DPS later. At home (out in the woods with very dirty AC, the DPS made a very appreciable difference). At work (in town with very clean AC) the DPS made much less of a difference. Some improvements you'll see in varying amounts include a blacker background and deeper, tighter bass. You'll also get a little more volume.

Personally, the next amp I'd look at (somewhere near that price range) would be a fully stock PPX3 Slam.

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Well, I tried some A/B comparisons yesterday morning for an hour or so.
Despite my best efforts to notice differences, I just couldn't aside from the unit getting warmer with the DPS and a faster click when I turn it on connected to the DPS vs Elpac.

So, take that for what's its worth. Maybe I just can't notice much of a difference (ears not trained enough), perhapse my equipment is not revealing enough, or perhapse it has to do with the quality of power to my house (dedicated line to the circuit breaker).
I personally would edge toward the first two being at fault. ^_^

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 12
The Elpac has about ,2,500uf of capacitance whereas the dps has around 4,500uf plus better filtering.The difference is subtle .Once,I let the dps fully warm up,for me,the bass and overall sound is slightly fuller.

It does depend on how clean your ac is where you live.I am very satisfied with this combo and recommmend it.Still,you get great sound with the supplied Elpac.

If for any reason it's not to your liking,I'm sure you can sell it with no problems.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
I used to own the Gilmore Lite with the stock Elpac power supply and decided to try the DPS. I personally could not hear ANY difference between the two after an hour of A/B/A testing. For this, I would listen to a portion of a song over and over for a few minutes, then quickly unplug one power supply and plug in the other.

ummmmm......
I trust in your ear
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 12
I've since sold my Gilmore Lite and DPS, but I can offer some insight.

I didn't buy my DPS with the Gilmore Lite, and in fact only purchased it about 4 months later, so I had some quality time with the amp and its standard Elpac before upgrading to the DPS. In my opinion the Gilmore Lite is one of the best deals in Headphone amps available, and I was more than satisfied with the sound; rather than buy a new amp, I decided to make the $200 investment into the DPS in hopes of improving what I already thought was great.

My setup at the time was Spitfire DAC (with OPA627) + Supplier DPS, HD 650's, and the Gilmore Lite "stack". The three biggest differences I noticed were bass extension and tightness, overall crispness, and blackness between notes. To be sure, these aren't arbitrary observations that required rediculous attention to detail to even pick up, they were quite obvious - even to my friend who is far from an audiophile. Now to be sure, it didn't turn it into a whole new amp - it made things better than weren't broken in the first place, so if you don't like the sound of your Gilmore Lite, the DPS isn't going to fix your problem.

It is important to note that the power in my NY appartment is extremely poor. I eventually purchased a PS Audio P300 to fix this problem, but that was after I owned the Gilmore Lite. Because of this, I might have been experiencing more benifit out of my DPS than most.

I should also say that I noticed a much bigger difference when I upgraded to a modified Gilmore V2-SE (blackgates and silver wiring), than when I upgraded the power supply on my Gilmore Lite.

In conclusion I would say that the DPS is a valuable upgrade if you are very satisfied with your Gilmore Lite, especially if your power isn't great. At approx. $500, the combo beats out almost anything else in that price range. If you don't like it, it will be easy to sell, people are always looking for GL power supplies.

Jul 30, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 12
It might depend on how good your power is, if you have ****** power the filtering in the DPS might make a difference.

I reommend everyone get a power filter.

I absolutely love my Belkin unit, I mean just look at these things:

FUL1_AP21101-12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back