Gillette Mach 3 Turbo vs. Schick Quattro
Aug 21, 2005 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Alex Altorfer

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently use the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo but am curious about Schick's 4 blade system. Has anyone compared those two? How do they stack up against each other? Are four blades really necessary? How about blade durability?

Thank you all for your input.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 20
I think if I remember correctly, there was an older thread that had this same topic, but there was an offer for a free quatrro.

I think most people prefered the good old mach 3 turbo. I've never tried the quatrro , but what I've heard its not very good.

Aug 21, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 20
IMHO it's Mach3, no contest. The Quattro is a little cheaper and the blades did seem to last longer. Its handle is also a little heftier and more substantial, if that's a plus for you. But the Mach3 (and Turbo especially) was a far smoother shave for me. The Quattro pulled more and was downright nasty if I tried to shave against the grain - I got some killer razorburn that way. I also found the Mach3 a lot easier to rinse out because the back of the blades is really open, whereas the Quattro isn't. I was happy to try the Quattro since I got one free, but I didn't buy more blades after the free one dulled.

Aug 21, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 20
Mach3 here. The Quattro pulls some of my hairs out, and hurts like hell. Mach3 isnt perfect, but its ok. Right now I use Wallgreens disposable 3 blade razors. Best I've used so far, and they are only $4 for five of em.

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 20
none. not having a need to shave is great!
icon10.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 20
Easy decision, electric shaver! The insane prices of replacement blades have paid for the shaver 1000x over since I got it like 6 months ago.

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 20
I found the quattro was more irritating- you still need two passes for a complete cut, so that's 33% more abrasion. I'm still afraid they'll discontinue the mach 3 to force us to pay off all the money they spent research.
eek.gif

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 20
Not only do I used the Mach 3, but I also picked up some "special" shaving gel for the Mach 3's. It's got Aloe in it, and has been treating my face very nice.

Aug 21, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 20
I "think" I have a mach 3 (got a free one) and I only use it to shave my chin in the shower. Haven't replaced the head in months. Doesn't cause me any irration whatsoever, and I don't use shave gel or soap or anything, just water.

Aug 21, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
I currently use the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo but am curious about Schick's 4 blade system. Has anyone compared those two? How do they stack up against each other? Are four blades really necessary? How about blade durability?

I recently did this comparison. There have been a lot of free give-a-ways in the razor wars of the last several years. For me (fair complected, skinny whiskers) the Gillette Turbo 3 beat out the Schick Quattro. However, the shave with the Schick 3 blade head was close enough to give this lazy boy an extra day between shaves. The Turbo 3 head (while not attaching to the handle any too firmly; ie drops off when tapped to clear) had an unusual yet very effective attack and pivot. The Quattro head was just getting too wide without any apparent shaving advantage. For the complete sturm und drang of my analysis, the lefties at Costco stock the lefties at Gillette (at a good price), but since Gillette was just purchased by P&G ( I am a shareholder), all of the other was forgiven.
biggrin.gif
The only thing that hurt was that I got to replace the free Turbo 3 handle I had discarded about a year ago with one that actually cost folding spondulaks (cash money). *sigh*

Aug 21, 2005 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 20
You should add a Poll to this thread to see who votes for what.

My vote goes for the Quattro. I switched to it from a Mach3 Turbo about a year and a half ago and have been incredibly pleased. I recieved a Mach3 Power as a gift earlier this year and just didn't see the benefit. The Quattro blades cost less, last forever, and give a smoother shave with less cuts in my personal experience.

Aug 21, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 20
I've used both, and the Mach 3 is the better. Shaving upwards-and-against the hair, I get an absolutly clean shave and hardly ever get cut.

Aug 21, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 20
Never tried the Quattro, but I've not really had any issues with the Mach3, and I was an early adopter of the M3 Power, which I find works quite well. Shave gel optional for that, it works that well, IMO.

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back