GIFT suggestion: mini system for family
Mar 12, 2003 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
This may not be the best place to put this, perhaps the sources forum would have been better...

It just dawned on me that I might want to get my grandmother some CDs and a nice little mini-sytem (<$200) for her birthday this weekend. I'm somewhat running out of time, and would love to find something B&M, but I could always order it online and have it shipped to her later at worst.

Are there any makes/models you guys would recommend? it doesn't have to be audiophile quality, but something "nice." Something to just sit back and relax to, with it being a complete POS.

Thanks for your help!!

Mar 13, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 16
nanahachi:

I'm not a fan of cheaper minisystems, but I know that most people will be quite happy with them, and I've bought a few as gifts, just like you.

In the $200 range, IMO the best models are from JVC, Aiwa, and possibly TEAC.

For your grandmother, you might consider this nice Aiwa model that's made of real wood; it looks very nice, which is important to a lot of people, and the sound is decent for the price:
http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.a...2&catky=643993

You could probably get it at your local Good Guys over there in the East Bay.

Mar 13, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 16
the ones i find good are the ones from yamaha - those little things.

nakamichi soundspace has good ones but a lil expensive.

other than that - JVC ,sony , aiwa and panasonic.

Mar 13, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 16
MacDEF,
welcome back, sir, and thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to check it out tonight or tomorrow.

you too, screwdriver...btw, why wasnt i invited to the support group! if i wasnt the first to post Team Compulsive Buyer, i certainly have done my part to prove my memembership
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 16
I would think twice about Aiwa.

Phillips systems seem okay though and I have had good luck with JVC products, though I haven't tried their audio stuff.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 16
I was considering minisystems before I was sucked into sites like this. I listened to a bunch of stuff in that price range, and the Panasonic SCAK500 sounded 'reasonably ok', but ugly as sin.
scak500.jpg

Yamaha MCR-E150 systems cost more, but definitely sounded much better.
MCRE150GGF.jpg

Step up from that are the Denon units which are >$400 + speakers.

Mar 13, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 16
well the last time i bougth one - a year ago i guess- i was thinking about the denon m30 but it was around $350.

i then looked at the yamaha but then they are still expensive at that time but their prices have gone down now.

i ended up getting a sony DVP F21. it is a mini system which plays dvd and cd's and it comes with a sub and 2 front speakers. i bought this at crutchfield as an open box for $229 .

here is a thread where we talk about it :

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=28765

here is a pic without the speakers :

619756-elec_lg-resized200.jpg

product-792543.jpg

Mar 13, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I would think twice about Aiwa.

The system I mentioned is actually of impressive quality for $200. We gave it to a relative for a gift and it worked great
smily_headphones1.gif

I have plenty of other recs, but none for $200 or less (or even $300 or less)
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 16
It's for your grandmother so I'm guessing handling electronics is not one of her stronger points.
But maybe she is an exception. If so disregard the comments i'm gonna make
wink.gif

I think it would be wise if you also take in consideration how easy the miniset is to handle. The more buttons the more confusing it will get for her. Make sure that the buttons are big and very understandeble.

Mar 13, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 16
EXCELLENT point lisa, thanks!

i'll probably do some in store shopping tomorrow (fri 3/14). If I'm not wowed by any products, I'll just hold off and do more research.

Please keep posting ideas if you have them. Thanks for those who have!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 16
You might want to look at the Onkyo CS-210, I think it retails for around the $200 mark. The sound is a little 'boxy', but that is really no surprise. Otherwise, it is a funky little system. If you wanted to spend double that, the Onkyo MC35Tech is a definate improvement in sound quality, but may be overkill for your grandmother.

Say happy birthday to her from us
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 16
I have a little Teac system (EX-CD3) that I keep in my work shop. The only time I saw it on-line, the vendor wanted about $340.00 for it but I actually paid $190.00 at BJ's Discount Club (one of those warehouse joints). The sound is surprisingly full and rich. It was worth every penny I paid.

Teac2.jpg

Mar 14, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 16
I bought my "Mini System" (KEF Reference Series Speakers), Pioneer SX2300 Amp, and Denon CD Player for a grand total of 80 dollars. (36 Speakers + 20 each for the Amp, CDP). You can score AMAZING deals at thrift stores. The speakers here alone sell for 700 dollars on Ebay.

Mar 14, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by nArKeD
I bought my "Mini System" (KEF Reference Series Speakers), Pioneer SX2300 Amp, and Denon CD Player for a grand total of 80 dollars. (36 Speakers + 20 each for the Amp, CDP). You can score AMAZING deals at thrift stores. The speakers here alone sell for 700 dollars on Ebay.

And you are a member of team broke!?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back