Gift Quality Portable Rig for a Novice
Feb 27, 2007 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
I’d like to give a really nice portable rig as a gift. A digital Audio Player (iPod what ever), a pair of headphones and a par of In the Ear Monitors. Plus recommendations for any carrying bag or accessories like that would be greatly appreciated. $600-$800

I’d like small, ease of use, battery life, ease of use, reasonably good audio quality. So list 2 Digital Audio Players, 2 pairs of head phones and 2 pairs of IEM’s. Think package deal. No amp- a built in long life battery with a charger would be ideal. The end user will have a Win XP based laptop for loading music. More portable / rugged the better. They’ll be leaving to work in Alaska in early May.

I figure they’ll probably lose 1, both or all 3. Regardless, if an 80 gig video iPod is worth it for ease of use I like it. I’ve got 3 months or less- if I can give them 2 choices for each item in the next 2 weeks I’ll have time to order the items. It’ll give me a month or so to teach them how to use it.

Thanks Mitch

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 9
OT: I thought your username was "brailled liver".

(And these days, you can get a refurbished iPod cheap! My 4G 20 GB was all of $99.)

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 9
iPod Nano
iRiver Clix

Xin SuperMicro
RSA Tomahawk

Etymotic ER4s
Shure E4c
Westone UM2

If you were to ask me, I'd go:
Nano->ALO LOD (Not the jumbo, too big for your application)->SuperMicro-UM2

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 9
If I thought that whoever I was buying such a gift for would most certainly lose it, then I would go with a Refurbished iPOD, and a pair of KSC-75s or Portapros, or Sportapros. I don't have any really good ideas for IEMs. Headroom has some really nice gear bags.

My Dad can even use an iPOD (which is impressive, because he doesn't even know how to shut his computer off). So if he can use it, anyone can. If there is an easier to use, more intuitive player out there, I haven't seen it yet.

Good luck.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 9
IEM/canalphones: If you really think that the recipient will lose them, go with something less expensive like JVC Marshmallows. Try to get the bright yellow ones. Might be harder to lose.

Steve

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 9
creative zen vision: m 30 or 60 gig; hd 580 or ms-1; er-4p or shure e500. good luck man, hope the one you are giving this to will be more than happy
smily_headphones1.gif
he or she is a lucky person!!

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Cretive Zen Vision-M
Microsoft Zune

Sennheiser HD595
Beyerdynamic DT770

VModa Vibez
Another of that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back