Getting your eam impressions! How did you do it? Open Mouth? Closed Mouth? or Chewing Gumds?
Jun 3, 2009 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

So I just got my impression done the second time. My audiologist asked me to chew gums while doing the impression? Is that good? I just saw the JHAudio site suggesting that I should do an open mouth impression. So.. I am a little worried that I might have gotten a bad impression. Any ideas?

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 14
some recommend open with bite block some recommend closed some recommend opening and closing throughout honestly I don't know if anyone can say one is better then the other but most have had success doing a open impression with a bite block

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 14
Open mouth, that is when your canals are at their widest/biggest.

That way, you will never loose your seal because it is already made for when your ears are at their widest.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 14
Kathy Peck at CanJam did my impressions with a dried ice bit block in my mouth, and she has 20 yrs of experience.
Sorry: it was styrofoam. I must have been asleep......

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kathy Peck at CanJam did my impressions with a dried ice bit block in my mouth, and she has 20 yrs of experience.

Dried ice bit block? Little cold on the teeth, no?

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 14
I did mine with a biting block crafted out of styrofoam.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Mine fit wonderfully, and I had my impressions done while moving my jaw around. I don't lose the seal unless I yawn or something like that.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 14
When I got my custom molds for my 530 custom tips initially, I had my mouth closed, and found out later that they slipped out of my ears way too easily so I had to go for a refit. I opened my mouth/jaw slightly the second time (and increased the canal length a bit), and now it fits perfectly secure.

The amount of opening your mouth/jaw will depend on how tight you want the fit to be. If you want it really tight (which will give you a better seal but may become uncomfortable), then you'll want it wide open, and if you want it little looser (will lose seal sometimes but be much more comfortable), then you'll open it very little. I'd suggest somewhere in between.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 14
good to hear tintin. I am really looking forward to my customs... I will also post the result of the impression here once I get them. My audiologist convinced me that it's better to do the impression while chewing gum
tongue.gif
The way she explained it is that it will be more comfortable, and I am also likely to listen to music when I eat, so it's better for me to chew something in a but exaggerated motions
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good to hear tintin. I am really looking forward to my customs... I will also post the result of the impression here once I get them. My audiologist convinced me that it's better to do the impression while chewing gum
tongue.gif
The way she explained it is that it will be more comfortable, and I am also likely to listen to music when I eat, so it's better for me to chew something in a but exaggerated motions
smily_headphones1.gif

Just so you know ahead of time, customs and eating do not go together, no matter how good your seal is. If you are chewing, the movement of your jaw messes with the fit no matter how good because your ear canal is constantly changing shape. You also get wonderful chewing noises from inside of your head because you have the equivalent of plugs in. Try putting your fingers in your ears and chewing on something. Then imagine that there is music playing but becoming louder and softer as the seal goes in and out with your jaw.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just so you know ahead of time, customs and eating do not go together, no matter how good your seal is. If you are chewing, the movement of your jaw messes with the fit no matter how good because your ear canal is constantly changing shape. You also get wonderful chewing noises from inside of your head because you have the equivalent of plugs in. Try putting your fingers in your ears and chewing on something. Then imagine that there is music playing but becoming louder and softer as the seal goes in and out with your jaw.

True. Eating really creates a disturbing feeling when you're wearing customs. If you put your finger on the custums while you're eating, you can clearly feel them going in and out.

By the way, i had an (wide) open mouth impression without using a bite block. Most of the time i had great seal although there were times that it would put too much pressure on my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back