Getting strange static during frequency sweep on new headphones (Ultrasone PRO-750's)
Mar 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MordecaiWalfish

New Head-Fier
Hello!  This is my first post here at Head-Fi, although I have been following some threads here for quite a while now..

Gonna be brief because I'm having to re-type this whole thing (grrrr)

Got some new headphones, first pair over $100.  Ultrasone PRO-750's.  Previous best were Sony MDR-7506

Doing some frequency sweeps, from this site: http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php

Followed the instructions to a T, always making sure my volume is at medium levels, and when the first frequency sweep starts (don't know if it's 20-20000 or 30-30000, it's the first one after the 3 noise variations) I can hear an audible electric/static sound playing during the last 10 seconds of the frequency sweep.  It's only on that one particular sweep, and I've tried setting my DAC to 24/96k and 16/44.1k and get the same result.  The other sweeps don't exhibit this static/electric sound during any part of them, only the standard sweeping tone/oscillations.

I use an Audinst HUD-MX1 as a DAC, and the volume never passes ~35% on the MX1, and only then for really old low volume recordings. (I listen to mostly classical, always at a moderate volume.)

Should I be worried about this electric/static noise at the end of this particular sweep?  Is it a sign that the headphones may have some defect in them?  I've only had them for about a week now, and have only run the burn-in for 6-8 hours at a time in 3 different sessions.

Thanks Head-Fi'ers for any help you can provide here!  (Sorry if this is a noob question.. just trying to do it right.)

-Mordecai

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 4
Okay! I hooked up my floor speakers finally (just moved so all I could test with before were the new headphones, as my 7506's are broken at the moment) and noticed that same static at the end of the 1st sweep test.

Thought to myself "great, it's probably the MX1 that's messed up".. but connecting the speakers (or headphones) to my motherboard audio resulted in the same thing, so I guess it's either just normal.. or I destroyed *everything* in the process.  heheh =)

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Okay! I hooked up my floor speakers finally (just moved so all I could test with before were the new headphones, as my 7506's are broken at the moment) and noticed that same static at the end of the 1st sweep test.

Thought to myself "great, it's probably the MX1 that's messed up".. but connecting the speakers (or headphones) to my motherboard audio resulted in the same thing, so I guess it's either just normal.. or I destroyed *everything* in the process.  heheh =)

It's the source more than likely, I wouldn't worry about it. Google sinegen, it's a free download and lets you generate your own real time sine sweeps. It's a great tool for finding peaks and knowing what frequencies you need to cut in EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back