Getting started with vinyl
Mar 12, 2007 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

against

New Head-Fier
I found a record store that's located pretty close to me, so now I'm thinking about getting a turntable. I've never used one before, so I have no idea what I need to get. Something less than $100 would be best, but I don't want anything that sounds crappy. I'd be willing to spend a bit more of necessary. Also, will my 'phones be able to plug straight into it, or will I need to buy some kind of adapter?

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 14
Vinyl is a great way to go. Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to spend a little more than $100 on a setup. It can be affordable, though.

Take a look at the used turntables. You will find good used ones from Dual and Thorens. Prices can vary widely. I'd recommend looking at Craigslist or your local thrift/junk stores. You might be able to score one for $20 that goes for $100 on eBay. You never know. Next, you'll probably need to replace the cartridge, or stylus. There are a number of good inexpensive ones. I like the Grado black, which goes around $30. You'll also need a phono preamp. These can range from $30 to thousands. These are different from regular preamps in that they apply an equalization curve to playback.

Here's a good resource for inexpensive vinyl setups:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php

Good luck, and take the plunge. Vinyl is very rewarding.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by against /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more question. If I bought a headphone amp with phono sockets, would I still need a preamp?

Er, that depends on what you mean by "phono sockets." The standard RCA jacks on the back of any consumer audio component, with (typically) a red plastic insert for the right channel and a white plastic insert for the left, are often called "phono jacks." While you can plug a turntable, or any other source, into these jacks, you need one of the following to get any sound out of a turntable:

-An outboard phono preamp, which as mentioned, range from about $30 on up; or
-A receiver/integrated amp/preamp with a proper phono input.

Either does two things to the signal from the turntable: amplifies it (as the signal coming off a phono cartridge is very minimal) and applies the right RIAA equalization to the signal so that it sounds correct.

A long-winded answer, but just because your headphone amp has "phono jacks" on the back of it does not mean that you can plug a turntable into it. You still need a preamp.

I suppose it is possible that someone has made a headphone amp specifically designed for vinyl playback and has a phono preamp built into it, but I doubt it.

Here's a bunch of phono preamps available from a popular online source (no affiliation):

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 14
JXBJXB kind of mentioned it, but many older integrated amps and recievers, like a NAD or Marantz, have pretty good phono stages and decent headamps as well (and they will also power speakers if you ever so desire). I think if you are patient and dig through yardsales, craigslist and ebay you could find a nice older table like the ones Uncle Erik mentioned above as well as a reciever and still have enough to buy a decent but inexpensive cartridge and be able to stay around the price of your budget.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 14
There's a nice NAD phono preamp in the FS forum. May still be available...

I found my turntable on craigslist. It took a couple of weeks to get one I felt good about, but it was important to me to buy from a local person. I didn't want to deal with having one shipped, because from what I've read, unless someone knows what they're doing, it's not easy to properly pack a turntable for shipping.

You will also need to buy cleaning supplies for the records -- a brush at least.

Mar 12, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 14
My Son decided he didn't want his TT anymore so I have a nice Fisher MT-6224 table for sale if you'd like to have it.
It has a Empire 999 TE/X cartridge and the stylus is in excellent shape.
$50 + shipping. PM or E mail me if you'd like it. I can have some pictures tonight.
TR

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by YZHI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also neet to invest on the Lp cleaners.

would canned air work, or is it best to get one of those kits?

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 14
When you're looking at used turntables, the two most important things to check are:

1. The main bearing. Put your ear very close to the spindle, tell everyone to shut up, and spin the platter. All you should hear is dead silence.
2. The tonearm bearing. Pick up the tonearm by the fingerlift, and move it laterally and vertically in its' range of motion. There should be NO friction, just perfectly smooth movement.

If it fails either of the above tests, walk away. It will sound like crap. Of course, if you can sound check it for correct speed rotation and motor noise, those would be pretty important as well. Good luck.

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinyl is a great way to go. Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to spend a little more than $100 on a setup. It can be affordable, though.

Good luck, and take the plunge. Vinyl is very rewarding.

True words

Users who are viewing this thread

Back