Getting Started with the Rolling Stones(Newbie)
Nov 24, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Original studio efforts would be my preference, instead of compilations.

I think a compilation is the way to go with the Stones. Hell, you could get Hot Rocks and be done with it. I find their individual albums sort of boring. They never really did a super cohesive album except for His Satanic Majesties which isn't really that good. There are a couple standout solo albums like Sticky Fingers (even though it's well represented on compliations), Exile to Main Street (probably their best single effort) and It's Only Rock and Roll. I do like Some Girls as a single effort, in their later years. But for most of their early work, the compilations really do pull out the winners. It's not like they had "landmark" albums like "Revolver" and "Sgt. Peppers," the Stone just keep cranking out rock - the good with the bad. I'd get Hot Rock and the London Years Singles Collection and be done with it. Maybe pick up a later album or two. Of those, Black and Blue and Some Girls are good.

Oops just read page 2 of this thread, well, I guess I'm seconding some of the opinions here!

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a compilation is the way to go with the Stones. Hell, you could get Hot Rocks and be done with it. I find their individual albums sort of boring. They never really did a super cohesive album except for His Satanic Majesties which isn't really that good. There are a couple standout solo albums like Sticky Fingers (even though it's well represented on compliations), Exile to Main Street (probably their best single effort) and It's Only Rock and Roll. I do like Some Girls as a single effort, in their later years. But for most of their early work, the compilations really do pull out the winners. It's not like they had "landmark" albums like "Revolver" and "Sgt. Peppers," the Stone just keep cranking out rock - the good with the bad. I'd get Hot Rock and the London Years Singles Collection and be done with it. Maybe pick up a later album or two. Of those, Black and Blue and Some Girls are good.

Oops just read page 2 of this thread, well, I guess I'm seconding some of the opinions here!

I forgot about the London Years Collection. My assumption about singles is they are basically album cuts chopped down in time by the band or the record co. for air play. I may be wrong in that. But were Stones singles separately recorded tracks as well as edited versions? If so, a collection like this would be a whole lot more interesting than at first glance.
Even so, there are some songs I would not listen to the single version-Beast of Burden comes to mind.

Nov 29, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes of the post "exile" albums Some Girls is the my top pick also, interesting artwork for album........you can move the faces and try different hair-dos out

Was just listening to Tatoo You again today.........perhaps I was too quick to declare Some Girls best of post Exile albums, both are very good for me it would be a hard choice between them.

Also wanted to mention if you can get the original digipak versions of 2002 ABKCO label remasters they are much nicer packaging than jewel case versions now sold

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Was just listening to Tatoo You again today.........perhaps I was too quick to declare Some Girls best of post Exile albums, both are very good for me it would be a hard choice between them.

Also wanted to mention if you can get the original digipak versions of 2002 ABKCO label remasters they are much nicer packaging than jewel case versions now sold

Oh definitely. I snatched up a copy of Exile on Main Street yesterday at a local electronics store-looks like it had been there a while-I figured it was a bargain for under $15. My UK version of Aftermath arrived this week and expecting it to be another $15 audio cd, I opened up the pack to find a sealed digipak SACD hybrid of the disk. Sweet!

I think I'd go with Black and Blue before Tattoo You. Fool to Cry and Memory Motel are hard to beat, but Hang Fire is fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a movie about Brian Jones called Stoned. I saw it quite some time ago and thought it was interesting.

Stoned (2005)

Stones back Brian Jones death movie - Film - Entertainment - smh.com.au

Thanx, sounds good; interesting link too.
You're probably familiar with it, but I like the "Ready Steady Go" live performance of Under My Thumb (can be seen at MTV Music and Youtube). Looks like it dates from the mid sixties featuring the screaming hyperventilating girls, and a very restrained and studious looking Jones on marimba. There's also Jagger doing his "gotcha, gotcha, gotcha" which I think he uses in Going Home as well.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given your criteria (studio albums, no compilations) I think the following are pretty safe bets for you:

Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

All three, plus Beggars Banquet, were recorded when the Stones were at their peak. If I had to pick one for your first disc, I guess I'd say Let It Bleed.

Since you mentioned them, "Angie" is from Goats Head Soup and "Fool To Cry" is off of Black and Blue. Both are okay, but lack the power and creativity of the aforementioned albums.

Good luck - let us know what you decide and how you like it.

Well, for those interested, I was able to find most of my short list fairly quickly. Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., and Some Girls were at a local electronics store. Easy. Big Hits (High Tide...) and Aftermath (US) I ordered online but were not the SACD releases. However, Aftermath (UK) was SACD and I was able to find Let It Bleed(CD) and Beggar's Banquet SACD at my favourite local CD store (with that certificate of authenticity).

It's funny. For Aftermath, there is an American and a British version. You will find some who say that the Stones preferred the UK version. However, only the US version is listed on the Rollingstones own web site in their discography. I wonder what's up with that?
confused.gif

As it happens, I didn't know until a few years ago that "As Tears Go By" was a Stones' song. For some reason I thought that Donovan had sang it(!). And I was also surprised at the impact that the melancholy "No Expectations" had on me. It now has taken the place of Lady Jane as my 2nd favourite Stones' early song-the first is Paint It, Black. Black and Blue and December's Children et al. are in the future. Thanx to all of you for the feedback. It was a great learning experience.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

And I was also surprised at the impact that the melancholy "No Expectations" had on me. It now has taken the place of Lady Jane as my 2nd favourite Stones' early song-the first is Paint It, Black. Black and Blue and December's Children et al. are in the future. Thanx to all of you for the feedback. It was a great learning experience.

Ah yes....No Expectations from Beggars Banquet! Brian Jones plays incredibly beautiful slide guitar on that one! Unfortunately, it would be his final "Great" moment with the Stones. Such a shame....

Curious as to your opinion of Exile On Main Street? My personal favorite!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yes....No Expectations from Beggars Banquet! Brian Jones plays incredibly beautiful slide guitar on that one! Unfortunately, it would be his final "Great" moment with the Stones. Such a shame....

Curious as to your opinion of Exile On Main Street? My personal favorite!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Hey thanx.
Just gave Exile a sit down listen. It'll take awhile to really really warm up to it but I can see myself really liking this in a few years. There's a lot there to digest-it's not just a double album, it's a meaty double. I esp. liked Torn and Frayed & Loving Cup. Let It loose started off well, but was disappointing as a whole(can't quite put my finger on why). And as for Tumbling Dice, I haven't enjoyed drumming in a song that much since Clapton's "Motherless Children".

I wish I could say the same for Some Girls. Perhaps more of a nostalgia pick but I was surprised to hear how threadbare it sounded ( esp. compared to Exile or Beggar's...). Miss You and Beast of Burden were old familiars; When the Whip Comes Down and Respectable were good rock songs, and Shattered is fun to listen to. Far Away Eyes was just a curiosity, as was Before They Make Me Run. Just My Imagination is the most enjoyable of the bunch and I enjoy it more than the slower original. Summing up; Not bad but not great. Maybe I should've put the cabbage on It's Only Rock and Roll or Black and Blue before Some Girls. Live and Learn though.

Disclaimer - The above comments are written by someone who is not a musician. He is unable to sing or play any sort of musical instrument. Hell, he can't even read music
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #39 of 45
Hey DC2! Yes, Exile is a lot to digest in one sitting. However, you named two of my favorites as songs that made an impression on you: Torn & Frayed and Loving Cup! Two brilliant songs indeed!!!!!!!!! Both showcase Keith Richards singing his classic backup vocals! Awesome!!

Keep listening........it just gets better!!!

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Yes of the post "exile" albums Some Girls is the my top pick also, interesting artwork for album........you can move the faces and try different hair-dos out
bigsmile_face.gif

Exile on Main Street must be your first Stones CD!

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #41 of 45
Just a brief follow-up note on which Stones' cds to start off with. This concerns their effort Aftermath. Despite the Stones' official site endorsing the American version of Aftermath, unless you're getting a fantastic 4.99 bargain, I would hold off and get the Aftermath UK version instead. It has 14 tracks, as opposed to the 11 for Aftermath US version. Included are ALL of the 11 except for Paint It, Black. UK adds Mother's Little Helper (the opener), Take It Or Leave It, What To Do, and the nice lengthy Out of Time.

If you must have Paint It, Black as part of Aftermath, then by all means get it, but if its exclusion doesn't bother you, and you'd like a little more, then get the UK version. Others who've responded to this thread can tell you where to find Paint It, Black.

As far as I know Aftermath UK shouldn't be hard to find. Amazon has it in stock as I write this.

On a more personal note, I've mentioned Out of Time, another great track is I Am Waiting. A little different than I'm used to, but very good.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #42 of 45
I never got into the Stones. But I think Paint It Black is a great song. So whatever album that's from would be my pick.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never got into the Stones. But I think Paint It Black is a great song. So whatever album that's from would be my pick.

Oh definitely. I see Paint It, Black as one of those perfect songs right up there with The Everly Bros. 'Dream', the Carpenters's 'Close To You', Bob Seger's 'Main Street', Bob Dylan's 'Just Like A Woman', and The Jam's 'That's Entertainment'. Just my opinion of course.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given your criteria (studio albums, no compilations) I think the following are pretty safe bets for you:

Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

I need to put beggars banquet on that list too...and I may even put it before let it bleed but Exile has to be my #1.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Oh definitely. I see Paint It, Black as one of those perfect songs right up there with The Everly Bros. 'Dream', the Carpenters's 'Close To You', Bob Seger's 'Main Street', Bob Dylan's 'Just Like A Woman', and The Jam's 'That's Entertainment'. Just my opinion of course.
wink.gif

It certainly is your opinion. Personally, I can't stand music like Dream and Close To you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back