Getting Started with the Rolling Stones(Newbie)
Nov 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

DC2

100+ Head-Fier
I have no cds by the Stones and would like to get started. But where? The choice is pretty bewildering.
Original studio efforts would be my preference, instead of compilations.
I know there are some classic live Stones' songs but generally don't like live stuff unless it's embedded in an album of anti-live stuff. The only Stones work I owned was a copy of Beggar's Banquet that my brother gave me at Christmas years ago. Sadly, my bros' taste was wasted and the lp is now long gone. It was the one with the white cover and rsvp on it; not the toilet.
I have some good high school memories of "Angie" and "Fool To Cry" but beyond that, not much.

I guess I need recommends from Stones' experts out there.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 45
Well best of compilations are a safe start. I like the Abkco releases.

High Tides and Green Grass is a safe start as are Hot Rocks.

Abkco remastered "Get Your Ya-Ya's Out" Live concert sounds fantastic.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 45
Given your criteria (studio albums, no compilations) I think the following are pretty safe bets for you:

Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

All three, plus Beggars Banquet, were recorded when the Stones were at their peak. If I had to pick one for your first disc, I guess I'd say Let It Bleed.

Since you mentioned them, "Angie" is from Goats Head Soup and "Fool To Cry" is off of Black and Blue. Both are okay, but lack the power and creativity of the aforementioned albums.

Good luck - let us know what you decide and how you like it.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 45
Come on, man.
wink.gif
Aftermath has Paint It Black and Satanic Majesties has 2,000 Light Years from Home. Those are must haves.

If I was getting a compilation I would get their most recent 2CD set called 'Forty Licks' as it has a decent collection including Angie and Fool To Cry but is still missing 2,000 Light Years From Home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_Licks

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given your criteria (studio albums, no compilations) I think the following are pretty safe bets for you:

Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

All three, plus Beggars Banquet, were recorded when the Stones were at their peak. If I had to pick one for your first disc, I guess I'd say Let It Bleed.

Everything this man said.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, man.
wink.gif
Aftermath has Paint It Black and Satanic Majesties has 2,000 Light Years from Home. Those are must haves.

If I was getting a compilation I would get their most recent 2CD set called 'Forty Licks' as it has a decent collection including Angie and Fool To Cry but is still missing 2,000 Light Years From Home.

Forty Licks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bigsmile_face.gif
Well, if I had to add a fifth studio album, it would probably be Aftermath. It gets a little tricky around that time because not all of the great singles were released on studio albums (Honky Tonk Women, Jumping Jack Flash, Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby). While the OP understandably prefers studio albums, the Stones were really a singles band for most of the 60's, and compilations like Hot Rocks, Through The Past Darkly or (if you're real serious) Singles Collection - The London Years might be a better way to go.

Satanic Majesties? For a newbie? I like it too (even have the album with the 3D cover), but I don't think it's a great starting place. (Besides, 2,000 Man is the best song on there.
wink.gif
).

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 45
Hot Rocks is a really good starter compilation
rolling_stones_hot_rocks_1964_1971.jpg

Get yer ya yas out is a great live 60's disc
let it bleed
sticky fingers
its only rock n roll
goats head soup

if you like the stones country songs like wild horses etc. then check out the first two Flying Burritos Brothers records with Gram Parsons - Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Delux. Also, if you like this stuff check out the Jerry Garcia Covers of Stones, Dylan, Beatles and the Band songs. He does a nice version of Lets Spend the Night Together, Dixie and Dear Prudence.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 45
I much prefer Sticky Fingers to Exile On Main Street, Let It Bleed, and Beggar's Banquet. I think this is because Mick Taylor's guitar work changes the dynamics of the band abit - and I suppose one could argue it is not the definitive Stones sound. Still, I find it more listenable than the other classic Stones albums.

I started with Hot Rocks - which is good if you want the singles, but I find the albums mentioned above give a better feel of what the band really sounds like.

P.S. - I'm not a really great big Stones fan.

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 45
As a life long Stones fan, (well...since 1972 when I was 14), I would get the following albums first and go from there:

Aftermath - 1966 - Brian Jones at his best and the first album that all material was written by Jagger/Richard. Simply a must have!

Beggars Banquet - 1968 - Primarily an acoustical blues album that is brilliant on all fronts!

Let It Bleed - 1969 - Another masterpiece!

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! - 1970 - Although the op prefers studio work, this live album recorded at Madison Square Garden in November 1969 is the way God intended rock & roll to sound live!! Of the many Stones live albums, none contain the raw energy of this masterpiece!

Sticky Fingers - 1971 - Just get it! It's excellent!

Exile On Main Street - 1972 - My favorite Stones album. First Stones album I ever bought. Came home from the record store in June 1972 with this tucked under my arm. Carefully placed the needle down on side 1, Rocks Off came blaring through the speakers and changed my life forever!

As several have mentioned, these albums represent the Stones at their best. It's referred to as the "Golden Era" in Stones circles.

I have to disagree with the poster who suggested Satanic Majesties Request. This was the Stones attempt at Sgt. Pepper in 1967. While it has a couple of good songs it doesn't even come close to the sound of the Rolling Stones and what they are all about. NOT a good choice for a newbie to the Stones.

Get these and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 45
FWIW, I'll chime in with my suggestions (which are in synch with several others here).

I'd start with these, maybe in this order, although I go back in forth on whether Exile or Let It Bleed is my all time favorite...

Exile On Main Street
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Beggar's Banquet

Those four are pretty much the holy grail...

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 45
I would go with:
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Satanic Majesties Request

If you still want more:
Beggar's Banquet
Get Your Ya Ya's Out
Exile On Main Street

If you still want more:
Forty Licks (for the best of before and after what you already have)

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 45
Funny you should start this thread now, I just bought my first Stones Album a couple of weeks back.

Don't know why it has taken me this long, anyway I bought Let it bleed and think the whole disc is great.

Next up for me will be Sticky Fingers Keeping my eye out for a mint LP with a working zipper on the front !!!! Try getting packaging like that with your MP3 download.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 45
Thanx to those who answered my post; Stones' fans or not. I value the input and there are some interesting ideas and anecdotes here. Maybe I could add that what I'll be listening to these on(for the most part) is an inexpensive Sony home theatre set up with a Yamaha Cd/ DVDaudio/ Sacd player (DV-S5860). I was a little confused as to whether most of these were SACDs but I'll find that out as it goes.

I was not aware that so much of their stuff - early and later - exists in compilations. I'll have to bend my rule about them a bit.

Here's my short list:

1. Aftermath - I guess there are two versions, I'll be getting the one with Paint It Black, Lady Jane and Under My Thumb

2. Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) - mainly for Play With Fire but others as well.

3. Let It Bleed - never a great fan of Gimme Shelter but the whole thing looks good esp. the last two tracks

4. Sticky Fingers - Wild Horses, Bitch

and
5. Some Girls - tough choice between this or Black and Blue but Miss You clinched it for me.

Budgetary considerations prohibit me from making the list longer right now, and Beggar's Banquet, Exile... and others will have to wait a few months at least(well, maybe less). RogerB, if I do get a live work Get Yer Ya Yas out will be the one I'll try. omegaman good luck with your search for the zippered holy grail. I remember joking about that album with buddies in high school; how the record stores had to keep people from breaking the packaging and unzipping it
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back