Getting some closed headphones!
May 13, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
Im in the market for a solid pair of closed (preferably circumaural) headphones.

I dont mind a pair for Supra-aurals, but they have to be comfy as hell!

The current cans Im looking at are (ironically all supra-aural):
Audio Technia SJ5's ($60 on audio cubes)
Philips SHL9600 DJ (I would have to import from UK. Ive had nothing but good experiences with Philips headphones! $90 USD once imported)
Audio Technica ES7's. ($107 on amazon [hopefully not fake])

Although Im willing to go to about ~$110 (plus tax & shipping) the price to performance ratio is a factor. Although the ES7's obviously sound better than the SJ5s, its the price to performance ratio Im looking at. I want good sounding cans with punchy bass, and clear mids/highs.

I would love some suggestions, or even comments on these three cans.

p.s. By the way, how comfy are the ES7's (without the headband mod)? Ive read a lot about their sound quality, but I havent heard THAT much about the comfort. These are going to be my main "at home computer usage" and "falling asleep" phones so Id like them to fit nicely if I got them of course.

Isolation is NOT an issue.

Thanks a bunch for any help.

May 13, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 30
Thanks, but Ive used the 280 Pros before (in a studio) and I do not enjoy using them for music. They are great for studio work, and have very high audio fidelity, but very flat freq. response (at least for me). The bass is not very accented, and doesnt "make me grin" when i listen to it.

May 13, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 30
Perhaps I should suggest Ultrasone, for they make excellent pairs of closed-can headphones... Just thought I'd throw that in there.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find one in your price range. Maybe the HFI-450 or the HFI-700 B-stock.

Just throwin' it out there,

-Tech

May 13, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia258 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't any experience on the headphones you mentioned, just got this Sennheiser HD 280PRO these days, the audio quality truly impresses with details I've never noticed before in my Definitive Technology and Aperion Audio home theatre/stero systems. very satisfied with it, and it's a deal price of $100, maybe you can give it a look

HD280 can be bought cheaper than that.

I would personally get ES7s, but they're rather colored - meaning that somem people won't like their presentation.

D1000 are not bad around 100$ as well, if you don't want too much coloration.

May 13, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 30
I myself have no problems with the ES7's comfort. There are some that do. I also have no problems with Grado's which a lot of people seem to. If you have had problems with the comfort of other headphones, you might want to pass on the ES7's. If not, I strongly recommend them.

May 13, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 30
I was looking at the D1001k (I think thats it) and it seems nice, but I heard the bass is not as strong as I would like, and it isnt the most comfy set of cans in the world.

I would find a pair of SJ5s for < $60, but I heard they arent at high quality as I once believed. I read a review saying the mids sucked.

The SHL9600s seem like a good choice, Ive read good things about them and Ive always had good experiences with PHilips, but its $90, which is about $15 away from the ES7's.

Id definitely get the ES7's, but Im not quite sure how comfortable they are. I want to be able to fall asleep with them on easily.

But thanks for all the suggestions thus far.

May 13, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the D1001k (I think thats it) and it seems nice, but I heard the bass is not as strong as I would like, and it isnt the most comfy set of cans in the world.

Don't know where you heard that?
confused.gif

Denon's are known for their bass and comfort. The D2000s are some of the most comfortable headphones I've worn, and from what I've read the D1000s are just as comfortable as the D2000s. And if anything, the Denon's have too much bass - I sold my D2000s as they had too much bass.

May 13, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 30
Checkout Sennheiser HD215.... they are one of the best in Closed sub $100 class.

Closed + Circumaural ... Little heavy maybe but damn good

May 13, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 30
I think if I got some sennheisers, I would go for the HD485's, they seem perfect for me.

What about the Ultrason HFI 15's? Those seem really nice. How do they compare to the ES7's?

May 13, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checkout Sennheiser HD215.... they are one of the best in Closed sub $100 class.

Closed + Circumaural ... Little heavy maybe but damn good

over Denons AT's? hmm

May 14, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 30
HD485 have double sided cord..hence i didnt buy those...also the earpads are not leather.

HD215 are better.

@Rednamalas1
Denond AT's i havent tried so cant tell.

May 14, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 30
if by double sided cord you mean the cord comes off of BOTH ears into the source you are incorrect, the HD485 is single sided and detachable as well. Although the pads are not leather, I have heard they are VERY comfortable.

I think I am going to get the Ultrasone HFI-15G's, unless I can be convinced into getting the ES7's.

I prefer a closed back because I wish not to disturb my roommate.

May 14, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 30
I think you would be pleased with the ES7's. I have had mine for about a year now, and have never regretted purchasing them. They perform extremely well without amplification and the looks are sweet. If you were to decide that you didn't like them, they are very easy to sell on Headfi (fakes causing high demand).

May 15, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 30
Does anyone own or have tried some Ultrasone HFI-15G's? If so, could you even go as far as to compare them to the ES7's?

May 15, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if by double sided cord you mean the cord comes off of BOTH ears into the source you are incorrect, the HD485 is single sided and detachable as well. Although the pads are not leather, I have heard they are VERY comfortable.

I think I am going to get the Ultrasone HFI-15G's, unless I can be convinced into getting the ES7's.

I prefer a closed back because I wish not to disturb my roommate.

Oops ..must be confused with others. yes they are comfortable..
but since i am into DJing,, they dont have Rotatable Earcups...and are not DJ grade headphones...
this means they dont offer very high passive Noise cancellation.

In closed sub $100 category... i think HD215 are one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back