Getting some closed headphones!
May 16, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 30
I did some research on the 215's and they seem like they MIGHT be right for me. My choice is currently between these 4, keeping in mind the price to performance ratio.

I mainly listen to Electronic (Trance, Drum N Bass with a hint of House), some Jazz and some Experimental Rock (think Mars Volta).

SJ5's (Pros: relatively cheap, decent sound, closed, portable. Cons: "decent" sound, might not be the most comfortable.)

ES7's (Pros: Very good audio quality, closed, portable, sharp looking, comfy for a little bit. Cons: Near the top of my budget, possibly not enough bass impact for me, might not be comfortable for long periods of time)

Ultrasone HFI-15g's (Pros: Good sound/bass, light, highly comfortable. Cons: Near the max of my budget, open-aired which is bad for my roommate, sound may be inferior to ES7's.

HD215's (Pros: Relatively cheap, good bass and sound quality, comfortable for a fair amount of time, coiled/detachable cord. Cons: Possibly not comfy for extended use, may not have the dynamic range Im looking for.)

May 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 30
I am a Trancer... i am all into Electronic dance music...

hmmm since i havent tried other brands i cant say..
but for Punchy Bass HD212pro are popular.

and for a Dynamic range..check out these: Sennheiser Worldwide: HD 25-SP II - HD 25-SP II

May 16, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 30
what about the comfort of the 215's? How comfy are they for you? Not for DJing, but just home listening, or for example wearing them to fall asleep.

May 16, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 30
Nops, u ll never be happy with 215 for comfort & going to sleep...

Why? Too big, heavy & Leather pads are sweating.

For comfort u avoid Closed headphones with Leatherpads...

Try Creative Aurvana Live... much more comfortable

May 16, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 30
Seeing as how nobody has recommended the philips 9600 i'm going to!
These are better than every other phone thats been mentioned so far,and i know that as ive owned all of them!
The 9600 have an incredible soundstage and are super comfy.
They sound better than any of the others,and are the best all round choice in my opinion.
In fact most of philips headphone line up is seriously overlooked,and thats a shame because they are incredible.

May 16, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #21 of 30
actually if you read my first post, I suggested them as well (thanks to your thread). But I would have to import them to the states, at about $90 + shipping, and for some headphones with hardly any reviews, I dont want to take my chances (im going to be using these for a long time.) Although, I do agree that Philips has some very good overlooked products. My old philips have lasted 5 years and still sound great.

I was checking out the Aurvana Lives. How is the sound quality? What about the bass? Keep in mind I listen to a fair amount of trance and such.

May 16, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 30
Trance...yeah the creative would do a very good job with that style,its ever so slightly muddy,not much but a little.
However if its mostly bass heavy stuff you are listening too you will enjoy them.

May 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 30
After doing some research, the Aurvana Lives seem almost perfect for my needs, the only problem is they are exactly at the edge of my budget for this "project."

So I would like to go into retrospect and ask for help comparing some cans in terms of sound quality.

Ordered from 1 3 to could you guys please help out and rate these cans in terms of OVERALL SOUND QUALITY? I would much appreciate it, thank you.
- ATH-ES7's
- HD 215's
- Aurvana Lives

and then in terms of COMFORT:
ES7's
HD 215's
Aurvana Lives

Thank you for all the help.

May 17, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #24 of 30
hey Sackynut...sorry man...i almost forgot to tell you my famous experience with Creative..

pls read this article posted by me on NBR:

http://www.forum.notebookreview.com/...d.php?t=227777

Creative products are believed to be overpriced for cheap quality & damage easily.

So be careful..

I strongly suggest u try out Sennheiser HD205 & HD215

I am a trancer like u ..i listen it all the time..

and i feel Sennheiser 212Pro are good for Trance.

May 17, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #25 of 30
Well these are going to mainly be for falling asleep. You mentioned the 215's would not be good for falling asleep, but I generaly have no problems falling asleep with big closed back headphones.

Still, I would rather not take a $60 chance with them. Im really in need of some closed back (preferably circumaural) headphones that I can fall asleep with on (and wouldnt die if I rolled onto them).

The ES7's seem almost ideal, but the cord is somewhat short for home usage, and since they are ideally portable, Ive read they arent the most comfortable phones compared to others.

If all else fails Ill get the Ultrasone HFI-15G's

May 18, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #26 of 30
Why dont u go to store & check them out..
And also see HD212 Pro..

212pro are lighter,smaller & better for "Trancing while sleeping".

May 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey Sackynut...sorry man...i almost forgot to tell you my famous experience with Creative..

pls read this article posted by me on NBR:

http://www.forum.notebookreview.com/...d.php?t=227777

Creative products are believed to be overpriced for cheap quality & damage easily.

So be careful..

I strongly suggest u try out Sennheiser HD205 & HD215

I am a trancer like u ..i listen it all the time..

and i feel Sennheiser 212Pro are good for Trance.

+1
I had some Creative cans before, it doesn't come close to Sennheiser, in both music performance and comfortability.

If you are afraid of rolling over it and break it, then maybe Denon D1000. I just bought the D2000, i take it to my bed too, it is big enough to prevent you from rolling to the two sides
biggrin.gif
. It is very comfortable for the D2000, and it looks like D1000 is just as good.

May 18, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #28 of 30
I was considering the D1000's as well, but from the reviews I read they just didnt seem for me (not bad, just not what I personally am looking for.)

I think Im going to purchase either the Sennheiser EP-150's or 250's. $25, and $50 respectively. Although they are bass heavy, and not the most high quality cans in the world, they are fairly priced and seem to fit my needs at this place and time. Mostly trancing, drum and bass-ing, jazzing and such.

I stumbled across them while checking out the 212pros (which would most likely be too uncomfortable for me.)

But thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. And thanks to Nocturnal for leading me to the 150's.

May 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering the D1000's as well, but from the reviews I read they just didnt seem for me (not bad, just not what I personally am looking for.)

I think Im going to purchase either the Sennheiser EP-150's or 250's. $25, and $50 respectively. Although they are bass heavy, and not the most high quality cans in the world, they are fairly priced and seem to fit my needs at this place and time. Mostly trancing, drum and bass-ing, jazzing and such.

I'm pretty sure the D1000 is what you're looking for. The first time I heard my D2000, I could only think... "WOW! Drums!" I figured it'd stop there since the AD700 was my jazz headphone... but the Denons sound great with jazz, too. The soundstage is almost as good as the AD700.

I'm not sure about the D1000 or D1001, but if they're anything like the D2000... buy 'em and don't come back.

May 21, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 30
Nocturnal, how do you normally power your 215's?

Ive read here and there that its recommended you power it with something besides an iPod (preferrably amp, or more powerful source), and others saying that since its 32 ohm you need not worry.

What is your opinion on this? I would MAINLY be using these cans with my iPod unamped in bed. Ive decided the size and weight are not an issue but if they sound crappy I wont get them. How is the bass unamped?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back