getting sandisk sansa express to function as 'normal' drive - can I
Feb 20, 2008 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jon_m

100+ Head-Fier
Got a new sansa express, that I really like. However, it appears in Windows as an MTP device - which makes it a pain to cut, copy etc files to and from it. Is there any way to just get windows to see it as a 'normal' pen drive, so I can copy files across?

TIA.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by imported_jon_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a new sansa express, that I really like. However, it appears in Windows as an MTP device - which makes it a pain to cut, copy etc files to and from it. Is there any way to just get windows to see it as a 'normal' pen drive, so I can copy files across?

TIA.

I have no idea if this will work with your sansa but it works with the trekstor vibez which is also MTP on windows (and falls back to MSC on other systems):
Go to Device Manager, find your Sansa, right click -> Update driver -> no Windows Update -> advanced mode -> Don't search (I will choose the driver myself) -> you may have to check the "view all" checkbox there -> and if you are lucky you will see the MTP driver _AND_ the MSC driver for it, update it to the MSC one. That is if it has one.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 5
great - set windows to use a Mass Storage Device driver, and now it seems to work fine
biggrin.gif
Thanks.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 5
just to update - the method i used to make the express work as MSC caused problems - adding files to it this way meant it no longer recognised the tags
frown.gif
Have returned it to MTP mode for now... Oddly, there is no usbmode option under the settings on my express.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back