Getting recommendation
Jul 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sasiniri431

New Head-Fier
I am a normal gamer and who listens to music 24/7 and

I would like to get actual good headphone that is range of $0 ~ $450 

I do have a soundcard, Asus Xonar Essence Stx

and I am willing to buy amp or any other necessary equipments to make the gear better.

I currently have senhen HD 558 right now and is it true that the sound gets better if I do the mod?

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Do you want something really similar to the HD 558?  And yes, pretty much anyone here with the experience will tell you that modding the HD 558 will improve sound.  Not a bad place to start.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 4
I do have a sound card, Asus Xonar Essence STX
and I am willing to buy amp or any other necessary equipment to make the gear better.
I currently have Sennheiser HD 558 right now and is it true that the sound gets better if I do the mod?

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Essence STX.
Check out the "Unified Xonar Drivers".
Replacing the two I/V stock op-amps with LME49720 should improve audio quality.

Removing the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, should offer some improvements.

I'm assuming your looking to improve audio quality for listening to music, I'm assuming the HD558 is good enough for your FPS gaming.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (used $130) would be about the lowing costing headphones to offer a more "musical" experience, over the HD558.
Plus the AD900X should work great for gaming.

High costing headphones (for music) to look into.
Hifiman HE-400s
Sennheiser HD600 or HD650

My current preferred "music" headphones are the Audio Technica ATH-W1000Xs closed headphones ($420).

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 4

I do have a soundcard, Asus Xonar Essence Stx

and I am willing to buy amp or any other necessary equipments to make the gear better.

I currently have senhen HD 558 right now and is it true that the sound gets better if I do the mod?

What will you mainly be using the headphones for, gaming/movies or music? Personally I find bassier closed headphones better for movies and gaming. Closed headphones are also better at blocking out background noise which is good when you're watching a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back