Getting myself into audio.
Nov 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bazzzze

New Head-Fier
I've been looking around for about 2 months and I've come up with some good suggestions to what I could get, but I'm not completely sure yet ofc. Idk if it affects anything but i mostly game when using headphones, i do listen to music at the same time.

I've been looking at the AT2020 for the microphone (XLR version), and maybe the Scarlett 2i2 with it. Then I've looked at many headphones and can't come up with anything, i know i like some bass (but that is also the only I've ever heard from headphones other than cheap earplugs)

PS. I dont have a specific budget (ofc not too high price), and if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Welcome to the audio world. I will recommend

MDR Z7 if you love some bass, also JVC Headphones. You can buy used Z7 for pretty good price. I started out there, and before I knew it....it got over my head lol

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 17
You need to be a bit more specific in order for us to help because we're thinking off of very limited information.

First of all it would help a big deal if you told us what budget you had, if you don't have a specific budget then tell us the absolute most you want to pay for the headphones alone.

Then comes the main part - the headphones. What kind of headphone do you want? Open or Closed? Removable or Non-removable cable? DAC/Amp requirements or not? (costs extra money) What kind of sound signature do you like?

Open headphones - Only for home use and in your room alone since they leak sound. They have a better soundstage (surround sound effect) than closed headphones and are better for immersion and sound more natural/real/airy.

Closed headphones - Can be used in the home and outside since they're closed back and they don't leak sound and they provide isolation. For music and gaming I'd suggest open over closed if your situation allows it.

Removable or Non-removable cable - I personally want removable cables and strongly dislike non-removable ones but if your headphones will literally NEVER leave your desk then I guess a non-removable cable isn't so bad.

DAC/Amp requirements - Are you willing to spend extra to get a dedicated DAC/Amp? Headphones that require a DAC/Amp will usually sound better. If you decide on a hard to drive headphone and find that your PC gets you good volume levels that doesn't mean you don't need a DAC/Amp, take it from personal experience.

Sound signature - Do you like bass, how much? Do you want clear vocals or you don't care? Do you want detail and clarity and can your ears handle high treble/treble fatigue? Do you want a large soundstage to make it feel as if the audio is coming from all around you in your room? Do you want good imaging which allows you to separate instruments and helps with positioning? Do you want the headphone to be analytical or fun?

If you're going to be playing singe player games only then a fun headphone will be better.

If you're going to be playing online competitive games only then an analytical headphone will better.

If you're going to do both single player and competitive gaming then an all-rounder is what you want.

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 17
Let’s not overwhelm the guy :D. Anyways, take your time, enjoy the ride as it could get to be really expensive soon
Lol of course not. But if he provides us will all the necessary info then chances are he'll get something he loves the first time round so then things won't have to get so expensive later on.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 17
okay for the budget i was thinking about not too high, so not higher than 450 USD (keep in mind that where i live tech costs quite a bit more) just around that area.

open or closed, i have no idea (i do live by myself and the headphones are only for home use, i use cheap earplugs at work, so i dont mind the cable being non-removable)

i know the scarlett has an amp but idk if its any good, i dont mind spending a little on a DAC/Amp, but i dont know if its necessary.

now the hardest one yet.. ive only heard gaming branded headsets/headphones so im not completely sure, right now i use the kingston hyperx cloud II and i think they sound okay in terms of everything (and the price is and was great when i bought them). i have only heard a glimse of a AT m50x (or 40 idk), but only for less than a minute with a song i didn't even know.

i play all types of games, single player and competitive games as well.

I hope that helped a little on the missing information, hope that is enough otherwise im happy to respond.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 17
I've been looking around for about 2 months and I've come up with some good suggestions to what I could get, but I'm not completely sure yet ofc. Idk if it affects anything but i mostly game when using headphones, i do listen to music at the same time.

I've been looking at the AT2020 for the microphone (XLR version), and maybe the Scarlett 2i2 with it. Then I've looked at many headphones and can't come up with anything, i know i like some bass (but that is also the only I've ever heard from headphones other than cheap earplugs)

PS. I dont have a specific budget (ofc not too high price), and if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Is there a reason you chose the 2i2 over the Solo? They do the same thing except the 2i2 just has more instrument inputs. If you only run a microphone and a headphone, and maybe a guitar or other 1/4" input, then the Solo is the better pick for the price

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 17
Is there a reason you chose the 2i2 over the Solo? They do the same thing except the 2i2 just has more instrument inputs. If you only run a microphone and a headphone, and maybe a guitar or other 1/4" input, then the Solo is the better pick for the price

i didn't have anything other than i thought it would sound better if i played with a guitar (idk if that matters in any way), and i always just wanna be safe rather than being sorry :D

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 17
Since you're home alone and you said it's for home use then I recommend an open back. And since you'll be gaming competitively and single player then an all-rounder with a fun signature would be great.

Within your price range for headphones I'd suggest either the Philips Fidelio X2HR or the AKG K712 Pro with a Schiit Fulla 2.

For the K712 you can use the Schiit Fulla 2 which is a neat and cheap little DAC/Amp combo with pre-outs for a great price and it will power K712's easy. Then you could use the 2i2 with the AT2020 as your mic option.

For the X2 you can use the 2i2 alone since they really do not need an amp. This way you can have both your mic and headphones connected to the 2i2 making for an easier/tidier setup.

K712 is the better headphone but you will have to get an amp for it and the Schiit Fulla 2 is a great option.

It depends on what you want, ease of use and tidiness of the X2 + Mic with the 2i2 or you wanna spend extra to get the Fulla 2 with the K712 which will give you a superior sound on the headphones side of things.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Since you're home alone and you said it's for home use then I recommend an open back. And since you'll be gaming competitively and single player then an all-rounder with a fun signature would be great.

Within your price range for headphones I'd suggest either the Philips Fidelio X2HR or the AKG K712 Pro with a Schiit Fulla 2.

For the K712 you can use the Schiit Fulla 2 which is a neat and cheap little DAC/Amp combo with pre-outs for a great price and it will power K712's easy. Then you could use the 2i2 with the AT2020 as your mic option.

For the X2 you can use the 2i2 alone since they really do not need an amp. This way you can have both your mic and headphones connected to the 2i2 making for an easier/tidier setup.

K712 is the better headphone but you will have to get an amp for it and the Schiit Fulla 2 is a great option.

It depends on what you want, ease of use and tidiness of the X2 + Mic with the 2i2 or you wanna spend extra to get the Fulla 2 with the K712 which will give you a superior sound on the headphones side of things.

theres a few things that strike me

1. the X2 is actually about the same price
2. the Schiit is not really available (i found a german website that might ship it, gonna check)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back