Getting into vinyl, what albums should I get?
Mar 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 29
If you digitally record records, do you still have that vinyl sound on the digital recording or is it cleaned up?

Might be a silly question but it's something I've been wanting to do - get some vinyl and rip it digitally so I can carry it any where.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 29
you'll still get clicks, pops, and other surface noise

now the noise can be cleaned up using various software filters which can do an excellent job without hurting the music itself but it's best to start with a record that is as clean as you can possibly get it to minimize those noises

everything i own that i only have on vinyl gets recorded onto my computer... same goes for cassettes

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to junk stores, thrift shops, secondhand stores, garage sales, estate sales, used record shops, and anywhere else that sells used vinyl.

Buy anything that catches your eye and isn't trashed.

The bes part of vinyl is music discovery, no question. Most vinyl is well-recorded, so check for scratches and damage, then buy. You're going to find all sorts of music you never knew existed and you never knew you'd love. Enjoy the journey!

x2 on that!

But if I had to make a suggestion, it would be anything by Nirvana. They sound great on vinyl and the new remasters can't be beat.... Don't have to get the colored vinyl either, the black is just fine.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #20 of 29
Getz/Gilberto

I usually listen to metal but when I heard this on a Rega rig, I was completly amazed.

I bought it on CD since my vinyl rig is far from amazing and regreted it. You must listen to this on vinyl. It should be easy to get.

May 1, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #21 of 29
The Pixies - Doolittle

I just picked it up today, and the quality of the current pressing it outstanding. Hearing this album on vinyl is giving me a new appreciation for it, I think.

May 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #22 of 29
Let's see…easy to get?

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

Derek and The Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Oliver Nelson - Blues And The Abstract Truth

Just about any Sony/Columbia Miles Davis

May 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #24 of 29
A couple of tips from someone with way too many records... Buy records you have never heard before. Don't pay more than five bucks a disk. Shop at swap meets for records. If sound quality matters to you, buy records manufactured before the oil crisis in the late 70s. Tell your friends and family that you are collecting records. They will unload their collections on you for free.

May 11, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #25 of 29

If you digitally record records, do you still have that vinyl sound on the digital recording or is it cleaned up?

Digital noise reduction is what ruins the sound of records, not the fact that it's on cd. Declickers work well if you set them correctly. Broadband noise reduction ruins music unless it is applied dynamically with a light touch. Always save a lossless copy of your raw transfer before noise reduction, so you can go back and redo things that start to bother you over time.

May 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 29

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin, absolutely. The remastering for cd sucks, especially on the first couple of albums. Pink Floyd, no. I've had a half dozen different releases of that, even the handmade box version, and the most recent remaster for SACD sounds as good as the best on vinyl... Better in fact because there is no surface noise in the quiet parts.

May 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
The Stooges - Raw Power has a much better Vinyl mix

Some years ago I remember playing the CD using an old receiver with a bouncing LED equalizer display. It was pretty astonishing…every single level was maxed out with absolutely no let up. It kinda looked like the receiver was screaming for mercy. Can't remember any other album doing that.

May 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #29 of 29
Any Steely Dan...and also Al Stewert had some amazing sounding productions. They may not fit your taste but the sound is what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back