getting into the IEM world... need some advice
Feb 4, 2006 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

okay_player

100+ Head-Fier
I'm ready to try some IEMs. I live in the downtown core of Toronto, and I can no longer stand the traffic drowning out the tunes from KSC75. I've done some research here, dug up some old threads, and read all kinds of reviews, but I still feel like I need some guidance.

The main things I'm looking for are:
-comfort
-ease of insertion
-accurate SQ

I do like a decent amount of bass, and am happy with the KSC75's low-end output when I'm in a quiet environment, so something along those lines in an IEM is what I'm looking for.

Not wanting to blow a lot of money, I've narrowed it down to the following:
Shure E2C
Sony EX51

From what I understand, the Sony's are far easier to insert, and much more comfortable than the Shures, but don't isolate as well and are far lass accurate. However they are more stealthy which is a nice bonus, and I've read they have more bass.

The Shures, however, are sonically superior, isolate much better, and come with a 2 year warranty, but are about 70$ more expensive. I'm also worried they may be too accurate as the files on my 5th gen Ipod are generally in the 192VBR range.

Which direction do you think I should go? I'll be using these everyday on my 15 minute walk to work, as well as frequent rides on public transit.

Sorry to make another 'which IEM should I buy?' thread, but you guys really are the best resource out there.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 23
Don't rule out the Super.Fi 3s, fairly flat response, but respond well to an EQ. Super easy to insert and very comfortable. Same price as the Shure, but IMO much better sound quality. Replaceable cord is nice if you are hard on your headphones.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 23
ER6i's are great. Easily drive an ipod, bass is decent, very easily put in, amazing isolation, very balanced. When I have them in I foreget they are there. They're really great phones and can be had for $75 used here in the forum.

Feb 4, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 23
Mayonnaise! oh, that's not listed as a choice either. In that case. I'd recommend getting the best phone you can afford. Especially if you hang out here, you'll always be driven to the best.

Feb 4, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
easily drive an ipod

shouldnt it be the other way around?

on topic, i have e2cs, and they fit my needs perfectly. As long as you use the right tips for your ears and get a good seal, they're great 'phones. They stay in your ear very securely, isolation works very well as long as you get a good seal. I tried the foamies, but i really do not like them. They're very rough on my ears during insurtion, and they don't fit comfortably either. I use the medium soft flex tips, and they're much more easier to insert and much more comfortable (the black tips, not the clear ones, those are TERRIBLE)

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by okay_player
The main things I'm looking for are:
-comfort
-ease of insertion
-accurate SQ

If you're looking for "accurate SQ" I do not think that these IEM are what you're looking for IMO. Both have exaggerated low ends to my ears. If you're looking for accuracy something like ER-4s would be more suitable. Both these phones will sound fine with your current bit rate.

Feb 5, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by milamber
If you're looking for "accurate SQ" I do not think that these IEM are what you're looking for IMO. Both have exaggerated low ends to my ears. If you're looking for accuracy something like ER-4s would be more suitable. Both these phones will sound fine with your current bit rate.

Yeah, I guess my criteria of 'bassy and accurate SQ' somewhat contradicts itself... but if it's possible for an IEM to be accurate in the mids and highs as well as have a slightly extended low end, I think this is what I would be looking for.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far... I'm considering the er6i's now, although they're a little pricy and maybe difficult to find in Canada. I was also under the impression that the etymotics are less bassy than others, but if they slide in real easy that might be a compromise I'm willing to make. I really need to research the 'how to insert an IEM' for various brands again.

I really want to avoid ordering internationally... I like the fact that Shure has its own canadian website/distributer.

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 23
A thing that you must consider is the fact that most low end consumer gear has a very jacked up bass response. My E5s, that are widely considered by the posters on this board to be on the bass heavy side, seem like they are at least somewhat bass shy compared to every low end headphone that I have tried. If you come from something like Koss the plug, the E5s will seem like a tinny headphone with a somewhat thin sound. And this headphone has been described like this: "Nuts about bass? These are the in-ear cans for you." The words accurate sound might have a different meaning for different people... The best way is probably if you could buy from a place with a good return policy and try them out yourself, and get used to the sound signature, and then pass your judgement. This allows you to get a better idea of what kind of sound you want out of them, and perhaps you reevelauate your idea of what really is accurate sound.

Feb 5, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 23
"The main things I'm looking for are:
-comfort
-ease of insertion
-accurate SQ"

Well, by those criteria, Sony's would do fine -- at least in comfort and ease of insertion. They would rank at or near the top in those two categories, but keep in mind that, as canal phones and not true IEMs, they would not measure up to IEMs in detail, accuracy, and isolation (and in turn, IEMs don't measure up to headphones, generally). But if you can get a good online price for the Sony's, they are fun and will help drown out traffic noise somewhat.

However, an IEM would isolate much better and move you up the Head-Fi ladder that much faster. Shure E2C's would have a lot of bass and would isolate; Etymotics ER-6i's are tiny and would isolate even better. Also consider the Superfi 3's and Westone UM 1's.

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 23
as long as the Shure e2c vs Super Fi3's vs Ety Er6i's dilemma is on the table, I'd like to throw in the Westoner UM1. Roughly in the pricerange of the others, and highly praised.

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
... and in turn, IEMs don't measure up to headphones, generally..

Note entirely sure I agree with that one. You're sacrificing sound-stage depth, true, but you're often gaining detail. Maybe you're right, but I'm not quite ready to agree...

I put in another vote for the ER-6i. Most people seem to think they're more comfortable than the 4 series. "Tiny" is often used to describe them... but I'd be willing to say that probably comes more from poor insertion technique than anything else. No ety's are going to be pounding out the bass -- but for reproduction honesty, I guess I think they're leading the pack.

-Angler
580smile.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 23
"You're sacrificing sound-stage depth, true, but you're often gaining detail."

Angler, I think you're right about detail. I just said that about headphones vs. IEMs so okay_player doesn't have unrealistic expectations based on the price of the IEMs.

And by "tiny" I mean small, not "tinny" as in overly bright. While some people do find the Etymotics overly bright, they take some getting used to (I find my ER-6's more comfortable with the foamies), and while very bright, whether they're overly bright is a matter of opinion. But I think the ER-6i's should be one of okay_player's finalists.

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
... And by "tiny" I mean small, not "tinny" as in overly bright...

That wasn't meant to refer to your post; "tiny" was a typo on my part. I meant "tinny." I don't think that any ety's are tinny, but I certainly agree that they are tiny.

I would certainly say that most IEMs can't stand as tall as flagship-level open cans, but I think that a lot of mid-range IEMs outperform similarly priced mid-range full cans. This is especially true when comparing IEMs to active noise canceling cans (*shudder*).

-Angler
580smile.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 23
Alright! Thanks again for all your input, everybody. As it stands I'm leaning towards the Westone UM1's, as their reviews seem to be consistently very good. They are regarded as comfortable, easy to insert, very balanced but with nice bass, and a solid build quality to boot. My only complaint is their clear appearance, but function is far more important than fashion, right? Right.

The ER6i's sound like a great value, but the filters and bright SQ aren't really my thing.

Funny how quickly I got steered away from my original 2 choices.

I'll continue to read and research over the next week... if my decision hasn't changed in that time, I think I'll pull the trigger.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back