Getting into HRAudio- ONN X series
Nov 23, 2015 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

M4RK

New Head-Fier
Hi, new member here.

I'm looking to get a high-res player on a budget. Will probably pull the trigger on a Sony A15, but also saw some new released ONN X5 and X6 on amazon.

Anybody know anything about the brand or those players?

I've always had Sony, I would just like to change for the sake of changing, but when the Sony is so good it's hard to justify.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I'm using Audio Technica IM70 and TMA1s. I have a hippo amp. Not sure if this changes anything in terms of impedance etc.

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 47
Welcome to Head-fi! Ok I have been looking at the ONN X5 myself and may buy one just as a test as it seems to pop up randomly in threads. I would at this price range also look at the XDuoo X3 or maybe a Fiio X3 as they seems to match up against each other listening to feedback. I have the XDuoo X3 myself and I am loving it but also always wanted an IBasso DX50 but cannot fault XDuoo as for the price they pack a punch. 
AAlso the Fiio X1 is in the price range of the XDuoo X3 and has a few more bells and whistles but feedback says the XDuoo X3 has better sound...too much choice so good luck!

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 47
Hi! Thanks for the reply. How does the XDuoo perform in terms of navigation and battery life? If you get an ONN pleas let us know how it goes!

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 47
Hi! Thanks for the reply. How does the XDuoo perform in terms of navigation and battery life? If you get an ONN pleas let us know how it goes!

The XDuoo X3 navigation is snappy and simple and the battery life about what it says on their homepage so around 8 hours. The bonus is that it can hold 2 SD cards up to 128 in each slot so 256gb in storage which if you have a big music collection it will suit you better. I keep looking at the ONN X5 and I want to test but I feel it may just be a waste of money me getting one. There does not seem to be much on the ONN X5 anywhere.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 47
I have been using XDuoo X2 for a couple of months before it decided to die. Meanwhile I ordered the ONN X5 that I received some days ago.
It has an internal memory of 8GB and supports micro SD card.
It does not come with earphone or iem.

The X5 screen is quite nice and is at least 4 times larger than the XDuoo X2 screen and definition is good for the price. It can record, but I haven't tested this functionality. Good point, it can play FM radio.

The Good:
It plays FLAC files, and many other formats. I confirm that it can play FLAC 24bits/192KHz files.
The sound is good. I paired it with Zircon Rock IEM and this is a very good budget pair. I bet you won't currently find a cheaper high res combo: X5+Zircons. I can't compare with the X2 sound coz my X2 is dead already, but from memory I think it is just as good.
Volume can get to very high level with the Zircons, max is 32 and at 22 I can't go higher. I need to take the time to test different IEM and headphones and report back.
It is supposed to be able to play from SD card up to 32GB, but I have reformatted a 64GB SD card to FAT32 and it can read files from the SD card.
I like the size and quality is better than the X2. Ano finish is flawless.

The Bad:
I had problems reading from the SD card before I upgraded the firmware. If you don't know or don't care upgrading the firmware, better not buy the X5 coz you will end of having a player with only 8GB of usable space.
The interface could be better, but personally I find it better than the XDuoo X2 interface. .. but the X2 interface is the worse in the whole world.
To play a file from the SD card you have to go to menu, then explore, then SD card, then choose the file... It does NOT organize the files from SD card into Artist, Albums, Genres etc... I think that it does so only for the files on the 8GB memory.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 47
I nearly got one but something does not sit right with me, it does not look like it has enough buttons to navigate efficiently and now you mentioned the poor firmware at the start it seems silly for me to even think about this device. The XDuoo X3 appears far superior and I already have one so gonna leave this one. Check out this thread it may help too

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782912/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 47
I nearly got one but something does not sit right with me, it does not look like it has enough buttons to navigate efficiently and now you mentioned the poor firmware at the start it seems silly for me to even think about this device. The XDuoo X3 appears far superior and I already have one so gonna leave this one. Check out this thread it may help too

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782912/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player

You can buy ONN X5 for test and sell out after that, I think it's will not be so hard to sell the player
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Fashion-ONN-X5-Professional-Lossless-music-MP3-HIFI-Music-Player-with-TFT-Screen-Support/32465349872.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.2.babTzo&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_8 60$
P.S. In this review author much prefer ONN x5 between xDuoo x2 - http://gagadget.com/18239-kratkij-obzor-portativnogo-audiopleera-onn-x5/

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 47

The Bad:
I had problems reading from the SD card before I upgraded the firmware. If you don't know or don't care upgrading the firmware, better not buy the X5 coz you will end of having a player with only 8GB of usable space.

Can you please post the link to the latest ONN X5 firmware when you get a chance. Mine doesn't read the SD card. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 47
@tsetse7 after you upgrade player firmware , have you sync the music in your sd card to the playlist yet ? Can you play the music normally? Sr my english is not good .

Hello kythu,
I am not sure if I understand your questions correctly, but I am afraid that i have not been able to create a playlist, new or old firmware.

But I think you want to know it it organizes the files by artist, albums, genre etc... well it does update something that it calls "medialib" for the files from the internal memory, but NOT with files on the sd card.

The player does not even resume playing the same file when you turnoff/turn on if the last file was from the sd card. I hope that the next firmware update will allow update of medialib and resume play from sd card.

The instructions for installing the firmware is not very clear, they must be using some kind of crappy translation service from chinese to english.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 47
  May I ask how did you manage to upgrade the firmware, because there are no instructions, an only the baidu program comes up after I downloaded the file?

Thanks four your help!

Its a zip file that you need to unzip. In the unzip folder you will find instructions in a file called "-)+(X5 upgrade instruction.doc" 
rolleyes.gif

The chinglish instructions are hard to read.Just pretend you are trying to read an ancient language 
tongue.gif

Basically you have to install a driver, then run the exe FactoryTool.exe assuming that you are using Windows... else no luck it won't work on OSX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back