Getting into electrostats
Nov 14, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Troymadison,
K701 vs 3050? What does the akg do that the stats don't???

I can't ever be consistent with the K701! At first I liked it, then I hated it and now I love it! I think that the problem with me and the stats was that I had expected something completely different. I really expected to be wow'd by their clarity and speed. They did have clarity and speed but IT WASN'T IMPRESSIVE. They did remind me of the good old K1000 in some ways but they tend to be rather dull sounding. The stats sound very similar to my AKG K601 and MDR-F1 in all or most categories. If I owned one of those headphones, it didn't make sense to keep a couple of expensive stat rigs around the house. The biggest problem I had with the SR-303 is that it completely sucked the enjoyment out of music for me. ESP950 was clearly better but sounded too similar too the two above headphones that I couldn't justify keeping them. The K701s I like even better than the K601 since they provide more extended highs. They give you a really nice soundstage that I've missed with my Quarts. The BASS is definitively less in quantity than the ESP950 and K601 but I still love its presentation. The mids are not as sweet as the K501 but I would say they are more neutral. The K501 mids remind me of the SR-303's mids in some ways. But I still vastly prefer the K501 in almost every way compared to the SR-303. Anyway, that speed and clarity I seek out only exist in three headphone brands thus far: AKG, Quarts and Denon.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #48 of 60
hmm ok. I'll soon see if I can agree with you with my upcoming stats
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #52 of 60
I do agree with the SR-303 sucking the life out of music, actually. Although to be perfectly accurate, it sucks the life out of some music, but not all. There are quite a few records in my collection that sounded fantastic with the SR-404, which is basically the same as the 303.

However, you simply cannot judge all 'stats after having heard one 'stat. It's like judging all dynamics after having heard only one. 'Stats are just as different, and it's wrong to lump them all into one big sonic signature. Some stats squeeze the life out of music, but some 'stats also put the life back into the music - and some will do either one or the other, depending on the system, like the O2 Mk1.

'Stats are more picky when it comes to associated components in general, so they require more system matching. But when you've got it right, it's pretty much absolute magic.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your avatar is creeping me out.
ph34r.gif

Ive seen that avatar before a long time ago, now even duggeh is using it
biggrin.gif
Awesome avatar McCoy Turner using stax

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the 3050 and ESP950 system. I sold both and never looked back.

..and now you "just" have a K701 and D5000... He

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome avatar McCoy Tyner using stax

The best use the best. I beat Duggeh to it by about 5 minutes, so I think he reverted to his neo avatar.

He surely deserves it more than me, but I am stubborn
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree with the SR-303 sucking the life out of music, actually. Although to be perfectly accurate, it sucks the life out of some music, but not all. There are quite a few records in my collection that sounded fantastic with the SR-404, which is basically the same as the 303.

However, you simply cannot judge all 'stats after having heard one 'stat. It's like judging all dynamics after having heard only one. 'Stats are just as different, and it's wrong to lump them all into one big sonic signature. Some stats squeeze the life out of music, but some 'stats also put the life back into the music - and some will do either one or the other, depending on the system, like the O2 Mk1.

'Stats are more picky when it comes to associated components in general, so they require more system matching. But when you've got it right, it's pretty much absolute magic.

I agree with this! Please give stats a chance. The only problem I see is that the stats I have are very unforgiving. If it's a bad recording, then I can hear all the imperfections. I tried to watch TV with my stats, and for some shows, it was amazing; for others, it was duller than listening to AM radio. Your mileage may vary, but I think stats produce the most realistic jazz and classical music out there.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best use the best. I beat Duggeh to it by about 5 minutes, so I think he reverted to his neo avatar.

He surely deserves it more than me, but I am stubborn
smily_headphones1.gif

I also saw someone else use this a few months back. Forgot who it was
biggrin.gif
I was tempted to use it also. aaahhh my morrissey avatar is fine

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #59 of 60
^ Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Make sure you keep us posted when you have hooked it up and spent some time listening to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back