Getting First Pair of Nice Headphones - ES7? Denon1001?
Oct 6, 2008 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ExtendeD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I think I'm going to skip the cheap headphone and get myself something a little nicer. Portability is important for me, so I've narrowed it down to these two. I listen to rock, some electronic and hip-hop. I was about to pick up the K81, but I couldn't find any use. I recently noticed the ES7 which look really great. This will probably be my only headphones for a long time. Which one should I buy? Oh, and are the ES7 worth the extra $45? I will be using this with my iPod touch and the FiiO e5 when it comes out.

I have to head off to classes now. Thanks for all the help.

Edit- Title change. Seeing as how one sided things got with my original choices, I've changed my two candidates to the Denon D1001's for around $80 and ES7's for $115. I still listen to the same genres of music, and some portability would be nice, but not necessary. If I ever took these outside, they would likely be used in long study sessions.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 14
That's a no brainer: ES7
K81 doesn't even come close to ES7.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 14
Haha, didn't realize it would be so one sided. Thanks for the replies all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither. Buy the Denon D1001s. Can't say how they'll stack up to the ES7s but they beat the pants off the AKGs. For the type of music you listen to they're the bomb.

SoundStage! All In Your Head

Ah yes, I looked at those earlier. In a previous thread I was told that they were not very portable and don't isolate very well. Although I'm sure they sound great, I'm not sure if they would serve my needs.

Thoughts? Thanks so much.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erm, the ES7s don't isolate well either, actually. So...go one step higher? HD-25 1 IIs.

Man, I wish. Thanks for the help but I can't (shouldn't) stretch my budget. I think I've had a little change of heart. I've ordered the hot SoundMagic PL-30 for my portable needs. How about I just get the Denon's and call it a day? I'll probably just use them for multiple hours while studying.

Thanks.

Edit- After a quick search on the Denon's, I've been seeing a lot of talk about recabling. I'm not a real DIY guy, but I have a buddy who is. Is it worth it?

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 14
The Denons sound great but:

A: They're not exactly portable.
and
B: They didn't play nice with the Fiio E3, IMO.

Though the Denons will sound very good straight from an iPod, they do benefit from good amplification. The Fiio E3 boosts the bass where it's not needed in the Denons.

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 14
I own both ES7's and D1001's. And use both. As another poster said, the D1001's don't travel well, and the ES7's do. The ES7's look slick; if you wear D1001's in public people will laugh (at me, anyway).

For rock and hip-hop, the D1001 will give a better, wider sound, but a little less punch than the ES7. I have carefully A/B'd these. For long listening sessions, D1001 for sure. For a quick 10 minutes on the treadmill before doing (old man) weights, where I have to get my tired flabby body kick-started, ES7 for sure, with Fiddy at high volume.

These are the two best inexpensive closed cans on the market, no doubt about that.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both ES7's and D1001's. And use both. As another poster said, the D1001's don't travel well, and the ES7's do. The ES7's look slick; if you wear D1001's in public people will laugh (at me, anyway).

For rock and hip-hop, the D1001 will give a better, wider sound, but a little less punch than the ES7. I have carefully A/B'd these. For long listening sessions, D1001 for sure. For a quick 10 minutes on the treadmill before doing (old man) weights, where I have to get my tired flabby body kick-started, ES7 for sure, with Fiddy at high volume.

These are the two best inexpensive closed cans on the market, no doubt about that.

Haha, thanks for the great, humorous comparison! Very informational, it was exactly what I needed to hear.

Thanks to everyone who helped! Have a wonderful week.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 14
Devil's advocate here: You might consider the Creative Aurvana Live.

Not because it's 'cheaper' than the Denon 1001, but because during my side-by-side audition, I found the CAL to have a slightly punchier bass response compared to the Foster OEM equiv-spec D1001. Both sounded great un-amped from my iPod Touch 2G... my FiiO was not needed. I'm definitely a 'mid-fi' kind of guy, so no recabling required for plenty of great SQ on-the-go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back