Getting engaged..
Apr 25, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that it's cheaper just to smack yourself in the head with a hammer right?
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

It's also free to continue smacking yourself for, well, as long as you want.

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also free to continue smacking yourself for, well, as long as you want.

Which is a clearcut distinction between it and my wife!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize that it's cheaper just to smack yourself in the head with a hammer right?
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

x2

I'll put this simple
I pay child support, I dont want to pay alimony

jk jk Congratulations , I wish you guys the best

Aloha

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 48
That's a beautiful ring, I'm sure she'll love it. I liked the beach idea, the setting is more romantic if you choose the right spot and right time of day.
Let us know how it goes. good luck
cool.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #21 of 48
BEACH!!! Definitely the beach, man. Especially if it's "your thing" together. Talk about a great way to make frequent nice afternoons even nicer!

Besides, when she says yes, she's free to jump on you and roll through the grass. Can't do that in a restaurant. I think.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BEACH!!! Definitely the beach, man. Especially if it's "your thing" together. Talk about a great way to make frequent nice afternoons even nicer!

Besides, when she says yes, she's free to jump on you and roll through the grass. Can't do that in a restaurant. I think.

Nothing has stopped me from doing that..

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #23 of 48
Regardless of which you pick, I certainly agree that one should put some effort into making it a memorable moment. The honest truth is I never formally proposed to my wife. We had talked generally about it, and knew we would do it, but then we actually got married in a bit of a rush to start some immigration paperwork. Actually, I got her the ring after we were legally married....

So I can't say, "ah yes, I remember that night..." and I really kind of regret that.

Still don't stress the planning or anything too much, especially if it risks taking away from the moment. It looks like from what you've said you're taking the right approach though.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never formally proposed to my wife. We had talked generally about it, and knew we would do it, but then we actually got married in a bit of a rush to start some immigration paperwork. Actually, I got her the ring after we were legally married....

WHAT?! When the heck did that happen
blink.gif
blink.gif
Congrats Jason, this is the first I heard of the great news.

Clutz, that's a great ring. I remember my 3-month ring shopping odessey. After looking at countless stones, when I saw the ONE I knew I had to get it and had a custom setting made for it. Good luck with your pending proposal!

Apr 26, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #26 of 48
A good friend of mine proposed to his wife on a deck over a river. They were leaning against the rail when he got the ring out. He got kinda nervous, and accidentally dropped it into the river.

Except he had a second ring... the first was a gold plated CZ cheapie and he had planned this stunt. She thought it was hysterical and said "yes."

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 48
Nice Ring, very similar to my wifes. As for how, when to ask, do whatever feels right. Heck i proposed during an ad break when we were watching Rush Hour on tv. I had the ring, and just thought hhm why not. 5th anniversary this summer
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 48
Thanks for the congratulations and feedback everyone. After I first bought the ring, I felt super nervous about the whole proposition - but I'm feeling more settled down now about the whole deal.

viator: I think your reason for doing it at the beach is a good one, I hadn't considered that she might get uncomfortable at a restaurant. And the beach really is our thing - we don't go out to fancy restaurants much, but we do love to take our dog for walks to the beach.

I'm so excited about it. This is worse than having money in my bank account begging me to spend it on more headphones. I'm having a hard time not telling her the several stories I've got surrounding getting the ring for her - including nearly crashing the car (a little bit excited, driving a bit too fast around a corner on wet pavement - thank god for ABS breaks and brand new wet road tires!).

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do it on her birthday, that way you have one less date to remember/forget.

Actually, don't. If you give her the ring on her birthday, it's an outright gift that she never has to give back. If, however, you give it to her on some random, non-holiday day, it's a gift in contemplation of marriage, and on the off chance she breaks off the engagement, you can get the ring back. (Yes, I'm a lawyer.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back