Getting back into the headfi scene after 3+ years. Need help choosing new cans.
Oct 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wallboy

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm getting back into the headphone scene after 4+ years of enjoying my current cans. I need help choosing a new set of cans for around ~$300. I plan on purchasing and powering them with a Schiit Modi/Magni DAC/Amp Combo. Here is what I have owned in the past:

LTB 5.1 Headphones: Some cheap headphones before I knew anything about headphones.
Sennheiser HD485's: My first "real" set of cans when I just started learning more about headphones.
Beyer DT 770's (80 Ohm): After researching a lot and how I liked a lot of bass, these are what I got next. I also purchased my first amp for them which was a Pocket Amp (PA2V2).
AKG K701's: These are what I bought next and are what I currently have been using the most for the last 3-4 years, with the odd change to the DT 770's when I'm in my "basshead" mood.

The source for all these have been from my Omega Striker soundcard on my PC. I've always got electronic static noise from this, so is the reason why I'm stepping up to an external DAC. I do play video games, which many people recommend a sound card is probably better than an external DAC for this, but I've never used any of those "fancy" surround sound options, etc for my current games. 2 Channel has always been fine to me. But music is something a definitely listen to more of than video games.

So basically the K701's are what I use 90% of the time, with the odd change to the DT 770's for bass music. The music genre's I listen to are pretty wide, but I'd say EDM and Experimental Rock (Ratatat) make up a large majority of the stuff I listen to.

Being out of the headphone scene for so many years, I have no idea what to buy. I still like the bass output from my DT 770's, but if anything I'd prefer they had lower extension as they don't really play anything below 25Hz and don't have great detail or treble. The K701's on the other hand I love the clarity and detail of the high frequencies, but they have next to no impact in the bass department.

I know it's probably impossible to have the best of both world's for around ~$300, but can anyone recommend some cans I can research into that might suit me well?

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 5
I would recommend getting the DAC/Amp (Magni/modi) upgrade first and try your current headphones with the new DAC/Amp.
(Sell of the Striker 7.1 for a few dollars)
The Magni/modi might improve the audio quality of your current headphones (DT770/K701) enough that you may not have to spend cash for new headphones, at least for now.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 5
I guess another thing I forgot to mention is that the insulation on the cable on my K701's is splitting all over the place. Not sure if this happens to anyone else after a long time, though it might be my own fault and the cable has been twisting every time I set my headphones down. Tried just covering the splits with electrical tape, but that just causes the cable to split elsewhere in a few weeks. And I don't feel like spending money getting them re-cabled. So that was another reason I wanted to buy some new headphones.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Hmm - well, I throw out my 1.5 cents...

If I was going to spend $300 today and I wanted a wide frequency response for a variety of genres, I think I would go with the Mad Dogs:
https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Alpha-Pad-Fostex-T50RP-headphone

HOWEVER, they are fairly flat - the base is not hyped-up. I don't own them (wish I did) but I have listened to them, and my opinion was excellent clarity, good extension on both ends (but not over done) and smooth in the midrange. A very nice sounding, very comfortable and well-rounded 'phone.

YMMV

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 5
its time to dabble with the denon d2000...at least once in your headfi life..u gotta own it for a few years man!!!

ok...or go for the pro900..n fight the demons within.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back