getting a replacement, which one? w3 vs um3xrc vs w4r
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

togiff

Head-Fier
alright I am looking for a quick answer. I got a broken w3 and they are replacing it today. I got the choice to pay for the replacement discounts from Westone since it's out of warranty. Here's what I got as options:

I could choose the Westone 3 again, but I kind of have decided against that because I want an upgrade and something built a little better. So they are also giving me the choice to buy the Westone UM3XRC and Westone 4R.

My concern here is that both the Westone UM3XRC and Westone 4 are have been reported to have lower bass output than the Westone 3. How much worse is it really? I like the style of the UM3XRC, but the Westone 4R with it's four drivers looks like a tempting buy. What would I be satisfied with? I kind of want the W4R but not if the sound is much worse than the UM3XRC or W3.. what are your impressions on this matter? What would you do?

price is no object here. cause there's pretty much no difference in price. the w3 is $86.50, the UM3XRC is $99, and the W4R is $112.50..

music is I listen mostly to modern pop and hip hop, top 40 stuff. lady gaga, david guetta, katy perry, etc. I got a collection of techno, dance, trance, etc. paul oakenfold, gate crashers, darude, afterhour power hour. rock like linkin park, etc. I don't think it matters much, the Westone 3's sounded great though.. and I couldn't hardly stand older Shure's with their lack of bass. The Super.Fi 5 Pro, and Westone 3 are my favorite headphones out of what I own. the Shure's aren't as enjoyable.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 9
The UM3x has top notch imaging and instruments separation with good punchy bass which is not much lower than W3 in power (difference is little) and has better midrange details than W3 and detailed highs. Westone 4 has wider soundstage than UM3x, W3 and almost same imaging capabilities as UM3x with good bass response, very detailed mids, highs. So you won't loose much bass with UM3x or W4 than W3 and increase more detailed mids, highs.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 9
w4r imo, widesoundstage, excellent instrument separation.

the source components will also effect the sound signature for the better depending on what you have.

imo the w4r setup i have is pretty mind blowing and ive owned the se535-ltd-j and the sound these w4r with the other equipment i have is phenomenal.

the w4r arent limited but limited by your source components along with whatever kind of audio quality tracks. i only use lossless its the best imo to get the most out of your music

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 9
yeah it sounds like there's no complaints about the W4R then. I ordered those, can't wait.

I use all lossless these days, too. flac, WMA lossless. I found with my Westone 3's that I could really hear the difference, pretty much all the high frequencies, the detail of the sound, you can really hear the flaws of AAC and every other lossy format out there. I got my W4R's coming.

hey, Moose, where did you get that nice silver cable for your Westone 4's btw? man that's what I want next. :p

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 9
i got the cable second hand off here. it was new. i paid 160 for it. its made by chris_himself on here from head phone lounge. the cable i got is pretty basicly as chris can put a array of ''add'' ons like facy splitters,sheething,ect......i kinda like the basic look though. this particular cable will set you back $225.00 the way it is with the oyiade right angle gold termination. the cable is made from neotech which is some of the tip top quality in cabling.

i really feel its worth it even at the price. to get the most out of your iem's straight out of the box i thought the w4r were good. but there is hiding ALOT of potential with these iem's 

depending on your source equipment and cables/lod ect these can really sound amazing

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 9
I've got all 3 and they are different. The 4r is probably the best all-rounder but the 3 has a distinct brassy warmth that the other 2 lack. It's more fun. Despite having all 3, I'd use the w3 more than the others, particularly for pop/rock/dance. Unless you're unhappy with the w3 sound and have tried the others, you might be best sticking with the w3. Ymmv.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 9
yeah I hope to god I do. I may swap them out if not.. the W3 were great, like nothing better I had ever used. but you know I don't trust the build quality, and hope that .. maybe they are just better. as long as there is bass on the W4R I will be happy, like if it's better than my old Shure SE530's. I will be the decider on if most people will be satisfied with the W4R if they really liked the W3. like cause those comments I read about that, that the W3 was "fun" and the W4 lacked the "fun" factor scared me. I read that in many other topics I think from you.

will let everyone know how this headphone sounds when I get it. maybe the added soundstage and clarity in other areas is worth the trade off. figures crossed that it still has at least some of the warmth of the W3, and which I think you're talking about.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 9
personally i find the bass impressive with the w4r. of course i am also using the alo audio rx mk2 and the algorhythm solo. those 2 combo's have been known to have alot of slam and impact in the bass section, also using the alo audio sxc solo cable combo and the pure silver cable. so ymmv depending on the equipment you use.

with the w4r the bass section seems to be very true to the track at hand, so if there isnt a emphasis on bass in the track the w4r isnt going to improvise bass where it doesnt belong. 

the w4r have alot to offer. and personally i do find them to be a ''fun'' iem but again taking into consideration the dac and amp combo/ cable i would hope it would add alot to the quality of sound. however to the defense of the w4r again they have hidden talents and its when you pair them with the right combo of dac/amp/cables then they really really shine.

out of the box i found them to be still very impressive. they are slightly harder to drive than the se535-ltd-j's i had, but the w4r they also seem more effortless, crisp,clean,clarity,wide,sparkle, words that come to mind when thinking of the w4r.

again though they dont emphasize on any one particular area. i feel when you add in a amp that emphasizes say bass you get bass, when you add in a amp that emphasizes on treble you get treble.......dont get me wrong im not saying that the w4r doesnt have bass or treble. what im saying is the frequencies seems to be all in line with eachother and not one overpowers the other.

ok im going on and on lol just giving you a idea lol.

i feel alot of people judge the w4r just based on its own. or maybe they are pairing it with just a ipod. thats not doing a 500.00 pair of iem's justice.  so judgements on frequencies and emphasis arent exactly being said with total conviction. imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back