Getting a good seal on IEMs
Aug 31, 2007 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LepakVT

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new into the world of IEMS ... I just got a pair of super.fi 3 studio as my "walk to class" listening solution.

I've been switching out and testing the included tips and I've found the small tips and the double flange are best for me. But how much sound should be getting isolated when using these? I was under the impression that there would be a good deal of isolation with IEMs but when wearing these with music on at comfortable volumes, I can hear a decent amount of outside noise. A lot of it is cut out though, but I would like even more isolation. I'm thinking I'm just wearing them wrong or something. I followed the little instructions for putting it in, but I still think I should be getting a better seal. What should I do to block out more sound?

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Try the "FS" or flip-side mod (described on a Super.fi 5Pro thread). That easy mod worked well for me when I owned the Super.fi 5Pro, providing a better seal IMHO. A little saliva goes a long way, too! : )

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 9
you could try shaving down the foamies with an exacto knife.

I had some super-fi 5pros for 6 months and never was able to get good seal/isolation due to the large barrel on them. Shure, Ety, Westone universals all isolate better.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 9
I could get a good seal with the middle size single flange tips (super.fi 5Pro). Didn't get good isolation with these though. Got great isolation with the foam and a good seal. But I use them at work and the foam is too much work to take in and out. The foam by far gives the best isolation from my experience with them.

My final soluation was the Ear Plug Super store custom ear mold tips for these IEMs. I've got a good fit and isolation on the left ear and I'm remaking the mold for the right ear to try and get it a bit tighter (they do this free of charge a few times except for the shipping of stuff back to them if you don't get a good fit the first time). If I can get the right ear to fit as good as the left, I'll be a happy camper.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 9
I just tried the flipside mod and it does make a nice difference! i just started knocking on my desk really loudly and couldn't even hear it but I accidentally woke my roommate up from a nap whoops. thanks for the help

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LepakVT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried the flipside mod and it does make a nice difference! i just started knocking on my desk really loudly and couldn't even hear it but I accidentally woke my roommate up from a nap whoops. thanks for the help

You'll get better isolation with foam tips as well.

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Just as a guideline, if you wiggle your ears and the seal in your ear breaks, they are not sealed enough. Particularly with super fi's, I find twisting them into place helps once they are in the ear canal. Just rock forward once, and then rock back into place, and you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back