Gettin' up to date for 2012 (best IEM for around $200)
Oct 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Funkmonkey

100+ Head-Fier
I've been out of the loop for a few years now while peacefully enjoying my q-Jays and a pair of Yuin PK-2s.  Both have been great for different applications, but now the time has come to get up to date.  I did a lot of research here on Head-fi before selecting either of those two phones, and have been fairly happy with both selections.  Eventually the q-Jays developed a short in the cable that caused one earpiece to drop in and out, by looping the cable over my ear this problem went away and didn't return for another couple of years.  They have held up exceptionally well considering the years of abuse they were subjected to...  not bad at all for a prototype!!!

For this new pair, I am seeking something with a bit deeper bass response.  The q-Jays bass is pretty good but I want more depth.  Not looking for any bloat, just DEEP, clean, and tight bass.  A neutral sound signature with a touch of warmth is my preference.  Due to my use at work, and my very high mobility this IEM will be used without an amp (for now).  (I am also going to upgrade my home rig with a full-size set of cans and an amp, but that will have to wait a little while)

So, three otions that I came up with:
1) a new pair of q-JAYS
2) HiFiMan RE262    (edited: used to say RE272 here but I was corn-fuzed, 262 is correct)
3) VSonic GR07

(I should also mention that Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Pro are on the radar.  The originals got very hot just after I got my q-Jays, and I have alway been curious about them.)

Anything else I should consider?
Which would you guys choose?

Monsters Coppers and Miles Davis are interesting as well.
as are Denon AH-C710

thanks in advance for your help...  (It is very hard to find the time to do the research that I would like to with a (almost) 2 year old running around demanding my attention for the few hours that I am home and not sleeping).

Cheers
-Funk

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 39
GR07 +2

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 39

Quote:
i have the GR07

GR07 +99999^999999^999999^99999

LOL  I guess you like 'em, huh.  
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 39
Welp. I guess I'm buying a GR07... I've been looking for something to replace my RE0s anyway, so the GR07 sounds like the best bet.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 39
I'd say GR07s too.  Also, looking at reviews and impressions of the RE272 and 262, it seems to me that the 262 would fit what you're looking for better, a touch of warmth - but this is just what I read.  The 272 is said to be rather cold and analytical.

Either way, my vote still goes to the GR07, seeing as how that's the only one on the list I've heard before.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 39
Consider the Sony EX600 as well. Can be had for less and most people think they're just as good as the GR07. Getting a bit lost in the shuffle of the GR07 hype.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 39

Quote:
GR07. I do not own them but I have heard many good things about them.

I hope you've at least heard them.

Neutral with a touch of warmth, bass extension... try the uber cheap Dunu Trident, which was a very neutral, open-sounding and wide-soundstage IEM with a fairly balanced frequency response tinged with a little warmth and extra bass.  If you don't want any additional bass at all, though, this may be already too bassy.

GR07, which is about 4x the price, is also a good pick for something more aggressive and in your face, with more detail and less bass. I think the Gr07 is a little overhyped, though, but hey it never hurt to go with the popular option, right?

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
I hope you've at least heard them.

Neutral with a touch of warmth, bass extension... try the uber cheap Dunu Trident, which was a very neutral, open-sounding and wide-soundstage IEM with a fairly balanced frequency response tinged with a little warmth and extra bass.  If you don't want any additional bass at all, though, this may be already too bassy.

GR07, which is about 4x the price, is also a good pick for something more aggressive and in your face, with more detail and less bass. I think the Gr07 is a little overhyped, though, but hey it never hurt to go with the popular option, right?

I dunno, the Tridents are a little bass-heavy if you ask me.  And it may actually be a bit of a downgrade coming from his q-JAYS...  The GR07 are a rather considerable upgrade over the Tridents though.  They're not perfect (I have problems with the signature, though I've never heard any better IEMs myself), but they're great for a >$200 choice.

Honestly though, the only reason why I haven't recommended anything else is because I haven't really heard anything else.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 39
GR07 would be my recommendation to esepcially based off what you want. They sound like they would fit you to a tee.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 39
GR07 might be the safest choice, but I'm shopping within the same price range as you and the new JVC FXT90's have certainly caught my eye.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563722/jvc-ha-fxt90-appreciation-thread-user-info-pricing-reviews-on-page-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back