Get me over the hump: Senn HD650s or Beyer DT-880s?!?!
Apr 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #46 of 55
This thread has helped me on my quest for the "right one". still it's a tough decision.

like what's already been said, let us know what you think.
580smile.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #47 of 55
quick reminder bump for the thread starter
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep us informed how you like them. BTW, they sound awfully thin out of the box. Severest case of burn-in sound improvement I ever experienced. Mine needed ~200h continuous fire to open up.

I just got mine in and only heard one song through them. I gotta aggree with you on how they sound out of the box. I'll be posting a new thread in a few hours after I got a chance to hear a few more songs to let you and everyone else know my thoughts on the 880's.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jondl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just keep in mind that the HD650s need a strong amp to really shine. This isn't my own observation since i'm still saving up for them but from what i've read in these forums. If you were to go the HD650 route, just make sure you're willing to spend a little more on an amp purchase as well.

Were about in SJ? Maybe we can have a mini meet sometime.. You can try out the 650 balanced..

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #50 of 55
Hey, all... Mine arrived on Tuesday. I had houseguests immediately afterwards, so I haven't had the time to really explore their sound. My initial impressions were that they were crystal-clear but a tad lacking in the low-end initially... BUT after even 24 hours of burn-in, there was a significant improvement. Also, the bass is FASTER and TIGHTER and very present - just not as resonant as what I have grown used to on my Senns.

The modest time I've since spent with them has been incredible. They're exceptionally comfortable and solidly built. But the sound is just so PURE. I did a little A/B comparison with my 595s, and I have to say it was money well spent. I am sure those who have the 650s or the 701s are just as happy - but for $219!?! I am ecstatic.

Thanks to everyone who helped me make the right decision here. I'd make it again in a heartbeat.

Best,

Jason (Swede)

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #51 of 55
Congrats Jason.

I also find that my 880 is very clean and PURE as you put it. With very good quality recordings they are amazing. With crappy recordings they are relentless.

Enjoy.

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #52 of 55
Yeah, G.D., I have to agree with you... I'm noticing things I haven't heard in many song before, but shuddering at anything less than 340kbps in my iPod - and even those aren't as pleasing as the lossless files. But AIFF and Apple Lossless tracks are just a joy to listen to.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #54 of 55
That's what I figured would happen if I also got the 650s. I mean, these are the top cans in each product line. I suppose you could develop a preference for one over the other, but it seems unlikely you could deride either as sounding "bad." I had a great listening session last night and am continuing the burn-in process to see how it affects them.

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #55 of 55
Hera are three points of both of the headphones. These came to my mind first:

HD650
-rich, full unfatiguing sound
-bass is deep and there's lots of it
-has lots of potential (meaning that it will evolve dramatically when you upgrade the rest of your rig)

DT880
-will give you every little detail on recording
-wiiiiide soundstage
-tight and fast bass (though the amount of it isn't that great)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back