Get MDR-1R mk2 or wait for NAD VISO HP50?
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

audionut117

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

As the thread title says, should I jump for the MDR 1R mk2 for $310AUD or wait for the NAD viso hp50 ($350AUD)which is going to be released in early December in Australia. 
I've heard great things about the NAD but my strong desire to move up in the audio world along with my already limited patience has been tested far too long and thus too much agony to bear 
biggrin.gif
. I've also been thinking of the AKG K545 but the lack of info on release means I give up.

From what I've been google translating japanese websites and also info from Sony Asia website, the mk2's are pretty much identical to the originals (same drivers)except for enlarged air vents at the back of the driver unit which apparently enhances bass response and some extra cables. I listen to mostly metal music. 

Any help appreciated.

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 13
I have waited a long time to decide, my patience ran out. I will order tomorrow the Nad Visio hp50 from amazon, somewhere where they will ship to Romania.

I own a pair of mdr zx700 and i sill think i did a great choice at that price range. The mdr1 R didn't impressed me so much, yes comfortable, yes around the ear (not like the momentum's) and if you have read in innerfidelity.com about the vents and the cable I think the mk2 will be more prone to generate noise. (my car-audio is a sony, an the cable to connect audio, stiffens as well in the colder times!)
also you can read the innerfidelity article about NAD VISIO...  usually is not wrong Tyll, so... there you go!

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 13
I wanted to buy the NAD viso HP50 from amazon as well. But it turns out they don't ship to Australia....  
frown.gif

I did read Tyll's review but the thing is is the NAD worth the extra money?

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 13
I haven't tried the NAD Viso HP50's but I know that addictedtoaudio.com.au sell them:

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/nad-viso-hp50-over-ear-premium-headphones

unfortunately because of the RRP NAD has charged, These are priced $50 more than if you were to get them from America. Iv'e strongly considered getting these but I can't really justify paying an extra $50 to get the HP50's EVEN if the sound quality is "better" but from what I've heard the sound signature is more on the neutral said than the MK2's but I prefer the warmer sound from the 1R's Iv'e tried when relaxing and chilling out within the period of time I had them .Get the HP50's if you really want to focus on the music but for enjoyable listening and watching movies I'll be getting the MK2's :)

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 13
+1 on the MK2's. I own the bluetooth version and I've read the wired sound even better. Extremely comfortable and great sound. Slightly laid back but plenty of detail for casual listening.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 13
How similar is the mk2 sound sig to the logitec ue 9000? I like the ue 9000 sound sig alot, but i want the comfort, lightness and battery life of the mk2...

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 13
take this with a pinch of salt because i heard ue900 for a moment ue900 seemed neutral to me and mdr 1r(mine's mdr 1rbt) 1rbt sounded more warm but ue900 sounded more defined based on my memory

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 13
  take this with a pinch of salt because i heard ue900 for a moment ue900 seemed neutral to me and mdr 1r(mine's mdr 1rbt) 1rbt sounded more warm but ue900 sounded more defined based on my memory

Mate, you meant the UE9000 right?

As for my 2 cents, I desired and extensively auditioned the 1R MK2, but got the HP50 instead.  Here are my findings:

BUILD - 1R > HP50 - Sony has designed a much more elegant, better looking can.  The 1R's swiveling earcups dont squeak and creak unlike the HP50s.  I also prefer the 1R's cable too, unlike the NADs' flat one, was surprised one day that the plate for my remote buttons got removed.  However, NAD has better port for the cable (both cups!) unlike the 1R's loose one.  Both are plastic though, so I doubt both are tough.  

COMFORT - 1R > HP50 - The 1R is the most comfortable headphone I have ever worn, very lightweight with soft earpads and headband.  My earlobes could touch the angled drivers though.  Their earcups swivel fuly to the front and bit to the back.  I find the NADs earpads are just as soft, but the earcups can only swivel back, making it less ergonomic for my head.  NADs clamping pressure is also high, due to freaky-looking headband, eventhough I have worn this for 3 months already.

ISOLATION - HP50 > 1R - The 1R has bass ports that make's these less ideal for noisy environments.  The NADs dont have any ports, and can cover my ears enough to seal sound in and out.

BASS - HP50 < 1R - 1R MK2 has improved mid bass to my ears, punchy as well, but sub bass is still rolled off.  NAD has excellent bass, which I think is the best in this price range.  It is punchy, hits way low, and is very controlled and not bloated.

MIDS - 1R > HP50 - I feel this is 1R's defining sound signature.  Mids are very pronounced and very smooth.  Female vocals sound sweetest here.  NADs however, has airy mids, just to comprehend its Room Feel feature.  They are still pronounced, but not as good as 1Rs

HIGHS - HP50 = 1R - I find both cans have equally good, warm highs.  Very mellow, relaxing and not piercing.

Soundstage - HP50 = 1R - 1R has good soundstage due to its angled earcups, but sounds kinda diffused,  NAD has utilized its Room Feel feature here very well here, making soundstage better than its closed can competitors, yet cannot match open cans

In conclusion, I like both cans.  I really enjoy my HP50 for keeps, yet I still wish I can get the 1R, so I can have both :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back