Geshelli j2
Nov 26, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #76 of 212
Yes, best of luck
Mmm. Maybe something to do with the relatively low output power. I ordered mine for 4 vrms. Did you try different op amps... do they send you the stock OPA1656 as well, when you order the Sparkos? I ordered the stock op amps.

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #77 of 212
I was so disappointed with the sound coming from 4499 with sparkos ops that i didn’t even bother trying different power supplies. Returning it this week, and it’s not to speak down on Geshelli, awesome company and i love what they represent, but the j2 just wasn’t for me, i like some heft to my music and while the j2 presented the music impressively, it started to sound rather boring, quickly. To each his own i suppose.
The 4493 is so much better having both I regret for spending the extra for the 4499.
IMHO

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #78 of 212
The 4493 is so much better having both I regret for spending the extra for the 4499.
IMHO
…”so much better” in your system, paired with your amp into your headphones, let us not forget. I have the 4493, and am happy with it in my system. But based on descriptions I have read, the 4499 might synergize well with a brighter amp or headphones that could use a little taming.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #79 of 212
Anyone using a linear power supply (or any type of upgraded PS with the J2?

I've been using a linear PS with the J2 and now J2S with perfect results. I use a linear PS in place of wall warts for any sensitive digital device (e.g. DACs, streamers, etc.) by default. The one I use appears virtually identical to the one provided in the Ali Express link previously, except the model I bought sports an r-core transformer and voltage display for the same price: 50W Linear PS

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #80 of 212
I happened across this discussion via Google while searching for comments concerning the J2S with AKM 4499EX and Sparkos SS3602, having received my upgraded unit in early September. Granted, I realize this is a headphones oriented board and I've not yet performed a full review using my head gear, but what I noticed immediately on my home audio system is greatly improved imaging and soundstage with improved dynamics. As compared to the AKM 4493 and TI op amp configuration, the soundstage depth is particularly generous with instruments better defined in space. I did notice that the new configuration has me reaching to make level adjustments far more often. I'm not sure if that is a factor of the new AKM's different (current based) architecture or the Sparkos op amps. In any case, my assessment is this was well worth the money. Perhaps it is the flatter presentation of the AKM 4493/TI that is perceived as "weight" by some headphones users. This doesn't appeal to me because I want greater spatial dimension (e.g. "holographic sound") at my listening position, so we may be venturing into personal subjectivity territory. What I have available here in the way of head gear is a MassDrop 6XX/xDuoo TA-26 (NOS tubes) and an AKG k712/Rupert Neve Designs RNHP setups that provide significantly different soundscapes (in addition to the differences headphones bring in general), so I'll give those a thorough listen and see if my impressions differ when the upgraded J2S is used in that capacity.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #81 of 212
…”so much better” in your system, paired with your amp into your headphones, let us not forget. I have the 4493, and am happy with it in my system. But based on descriptions I have read, the 4499 might synergize well with a brighter amp or headphones that could use a little taming.
So true and that's why my 4499 is paired with the E2 for exactly that reason a most excellent point 👉

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #82 of 212
Yeah, I must admit, I find it hard to imagine a lack of 'weight'.
TDF's review made it sound as though weight was exactly what the 4499 possessed more of in contrast to the 4493. More of a lower mids emphasis... male vocals over female vocals, I believe it was.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #83 of 212
Yeah, I must admit, I find it hard to imagine a lack of 'weight'.
TDF's review made it sound as though weight was exactly what the 4499 possessed more of in contrast to the 4493. More of a lower mids emphasis... male vocals over female vocals, I believe it was.
I actually agree with the lack of weight but that’s only in comparison to the dac I was listening to before my 4499. For me lack of weight is in comparison to the dac I was listening to before the 4499. For example, with my tv and gaming I had the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 and that had much more weight. Both the 2/64 and 4499 are fantastic for sure but to my ears the 2/64 has much more weight. To me the 4499 is all about a ton of clarity and space, especially with sparkos opamps in it. Not a lot of flavor like the 2/64 but a lot of clarity and space. The “lack of weight” to me is lack of flavor and for tv and gaming for me that is ideal. I want to hear the film and gaming and my speakers only. For music I like the 2/64. I like the extra weight for that.

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #84 of 212
I actually agree with the lack of weight but that’s only in comparison to the dac I was listening to before my 4499. For me lack of weight is in comparison to the dac I was listening to before the 4499. For example, with my tv and gaming I had the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 and that had much more weight. Both the 2/64 and 4499 are fantastic for sure but to my ears the 2/64 has much more weight. To me the 4499 is all about a ton of clarity and space, especially with sparkos opamps in it. Not a lot of flavor like the 2/64 but a lot of clarity and space. The “lack of weight” to me is lack of flavor and for tv and gaming for me that is ideal. I want to hear the film and gaming and my speakers only. For music I like the 2/64. I like the extra weight for that.
Well spoken

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #85 of 212
Aha. Thank you. I'm still trying to imagine. Is it a lack of emphasis in the bass?

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #86 of 212
Or a lack of, uh... 'immediacy' ... 'presence'.

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #87 of 212
Or a lack of, uh... 'immediacy' ... 'presence'.
I don’t feel like it had a lack of presence or immediacy but I get what you mean here. To me, in my specific tv/movies/gaming two channel system, the J24499 w/sparkos op amps sounds amazing and disappears within the synergy of the set up. When I put the Bifrost 2/64 in it still sounds amazing just adds a sprinkling of immediacy and presence in. It does not disappear into the synergy, I always know I’m listening to the Bifrost 2/64. It’s still incredible, it’s just not my personal ideal. So the Geshelli does not lack anything, I absolutely love it, to me is ideal for that specific system and the Bifrost 2/64 is also crazy good but can be a bit much in that particular set up. That said, when I put them both in my headphone system it’s the opposite. The extra flavor of the Bifrost 2/64, the extra immediacy and presence is ideal. It fu&king incredible. Don’t forget though, I’m talking about my specific systems. The headphones, the speakers, the amps, and the music sources also create the presence and immediacy. So for me…in two channel my J2 4499 with sparkos opamps is absolutely fantastic. In a headphone setup I prefer the Bifrost 2/64. Both sound amazing in both systems.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #88 of 212
Sounds like my Element DAC II+.
I think I'll like it. I don't need any 'special sauce' from a DAC in this chain; only that it be very capable and spacious.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #89 of 212
Sounds like my Element DAC II+.
I think I'll like it. I don't need any 'special sauce' from a DAC in this chain; only that it be very capable and spacious.
Preference is key, i like when technical capability meets flavor, i like to think of clean as something needed for an audio engineer, but as the listener, i like some warmth, some coziness added to my listening session. Furthermore, my amp is what I like to consider warm enough, yet it was not able to pull any sort of body from the j2 4499

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #90 of 212
Preference is key, i like when technical capability meets flavor, i like to think of clean as something needed for an audio engineer, but as the listener, i like some warmth, some coziness added to my listening session. Furthermore, my amp is what I like to consider warm enough, yet it was not able to pull any sort of body from the j2 4499
If I really find it lacks body... I'm rolling Bursons into the output stage. That sounds like a problem for v5i-d's or V6 Vivids.
But my first choice, my plan at the moment, is to put some MUSES03 in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back