Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread
Jun 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #91 of 272
  Indeed Germanium I got a question after the mod.

What is the purpose / advantage of having 12uf / 24uf for the bypass cap over the usual 0.1uf film cap?

The large bypasses came about through a lot of experimentation over the years. I found that .1 microfarad film bypasses seemed to help sweeten the very high audio frequencies but not much anywhere else. Doubling & tripling that resulted upper midrange glare which I reasoned was due to an increase in output in that area without the necessary body support from the frequencies below so I started trying larger & larger caps until I could get the necessary body & hence get a consistent sound signature through out the frequency range. It is for the reason of glare I believe most all manufacturers & modifiers shy away from the slightly larger caps & really never try to go beyond those early attempts as it does sound worse than either staying small or going whole hog like I did. About 5uf is enough to get a consistent sound signature but I reasoned that larger ones would give me improved dynamics & so it has. Having a consistent sound signature is as important as improving apparent resolution which these mods do as well especially noticeable in the greater clarity of background instruments & voices. All this without glare because the body is there  These sizes work great for small signal amps & DAC's but even larger ones are necessary to get these improvements out of power amps.

They work because the power supply is in the direct signal path & the benefits are identical to using film caps exclusively for coupling between stages & different components though I actually prefer to direct couple so there is no unneeded caps in the signal path. Even my power amps are full direct coupled even to ground from the negative feedback loop making the capable of amplifying all the way down to D.C..

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #92 of 272
I just wanted to tell you guys, I just got this in the mail and it does DTS Master Audio 5.1, but it also can do 2.0 PCM (which some people say is better than the 5.1).  If you are an Elton John fan and have the dough, I would highly recommend it.  It got the same treatment the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets have (which are normally over $100 each).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I48RA76/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not cheap, but the audio is almost better than the Pink Floyd 5.1 Blu-Rays I have.

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #93 of 272
Posted new pictures on original post

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #95 of 272
  Looks nice, should be paired with a B&W surround set..

Not much into surround & did not modify the surround section on mine. The speakers I have are better than most surround speaker sets & I have modified the amps in them for ultra high resolution & realism.

I've had a few people over to hear it & they told how much it seemed as if like being there live in a studio with the musicians, that includes one was actually a musician.

I can still hear surround type effects if recorded that way such as if recorded with a blumlien microphone setup which is crossed figure eight mikes. the effect incredible not only in the spread of the sound but in the preciseness of the imaging even when the sound go beyond the speakers.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #97 of 272
  I just wanted to tell you guys, I just got this in the mail and it does DTS Master Audio 5.1, but it also can do 2.0 PCM (which some people say is better than the 5.1).  If you are an Elton John fan and have the dough, I would highly recommend it.  It got the same treatment the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets have (which are normally over $100 each).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I48RA76/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not cheap, but the audio is almost better than the Pink Floyd 5.1 Blu-Rays I have.

Woah! you're over at OCN!

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #98 of 272
  I'm quite new to audio in general, but not electronics. I was wondering what amps you're using (blue and green) on the smd / dip 8 converters.

Those are listed in NCSUZOso's signature at the bottom of his post.2x ADA8597 & 4x ADA4627-1BRZ

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #100 of 272
This thread is starting to get shown on other forums
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing is you have people who are anti-modding (they exist on every forum) asking what in the hell is the point and I tried to give them a quick rundown.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1435931/zxr-op-amp-suggestions-needed-and-some-op-amp-general-questions/30#post_22623648

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #102 of 272
  What are anti modders doing on a modder forum? I never understood that.

Looking at that site I didn't so much get that they were so much anti modding but they didn't understand the reason for the large bypass caps as most people are taught that long leads are the bain of quiet amp operation. My tests have showed that noise is not a concern with these bypasses. What they don't take into account is that these caps are far superior to the original electrolytics even with their long leads to be able to shunt any extra noise to ground across a much broader frequency range. Plus they have much better audio performance.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #103 of 272
Hey man, I like what you have done. Enough said. You found a way to make something better. You found a legitimate mod... and nothing will hurt your card. Honestly, thank you for the information.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #104 of 272

Looking at that site I didn't so much get that they were so much anti modding but they didn't understand the reason for the large bypass caps as most people are taught that long leads are the bain of quiet amp operation. My tests have showed that noise is not a concern with these bypasses. What they don't take into account is that these caps are far superior to the original electrolytics even with their long leads to be able to shunt any extra noise to ground across a much broader frequency range. Plus they have much better audio performance.

They are a bunch of idiots, I mean not knowing that some capacitors don't come in every voltage... and they based the long lead on my pictures, lol.  It's not physically possible to fit those capacitors in a better position and not block soldering points.

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #105 of 272

They are a bunch of idiots, I mean not knowing that some capacitors don't come in every voltage... and they based the long lead on my pictures, lol.  It's not physically possible to fit those capacitors in a better position and not block soldering points.

Not idiots, just have to unlearn some things that they leaned elsewhere as there are different ways of doing things that can get as good if not better results than doing things the old accepted way of doing things. Every once in a while you have to try to think beyond the box, beyond what you are taught in school. Not every thing you learn in school is correct for all situations. This is particularly true in my profession. As a truck driver I leaned in school 2 different way to make a left hand turn onto a multi lane road. The CDL way & the safe way. The CDL way puts you at risk of hitting other drivers that might not figure quickly what you are doing & thus get into your blind spot. The safe way prevents them from getting into your blind spot at all. Even though the safe way is better the CDL way is what they want to see in any driver test for trucks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back