German MAESTRO - Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #16 of 266
Quote:
I would like to know how the best open German Maestro's compare to Sennheiser HD600 series SQ wise, built quality at least seems a bit better?

No, it's probably worse.
The Beyer DT880 completelly destroys the GMP 400 here so I would think that's the case with the Sennies.
The "Cardamatic" GMPs still employ dated materials in construction.

SQ wise I can't comment about the Sennies...
Here's a comparison with the HD650 - http://reproductormp3.net/index.php?topic=15641.0

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 266
Quote:
Thank you Acix for your good wishes. I bought these hps with your suggestions too, your wonderful thread was incredibly helpful. I am 100 percent happy with the sound quality but cable drove me crazy. I hope we can find a nice solution for it. A detachable cable would solve most of my problems. Also I am willing to use something more special, something like what you can find in BTG Audio cables. I saw people are pretty happy about it. Problem is, BTG Audio is in the States, I am in Europe. I don't how can we manage it and how much it will cost to me. So first, I would like to discuss with Thomas and see what can be done and is it under warranty or not, then we can move to the next step.

About the open back Maestro's, for the moment I don't have any of them but in future when I solve my money problems I would like to purchase one. But just to looking at them and comparing what people say about their built quality, I would say Maestro's are probably more durable. SQ wise, no comment for the moment.

Thanks man! I never had any problem with the original cable, and I think is a good quality cable. I'm not sure if possible to make the 8.35 detachable, they're no made of hard plastic as the K70X, but maybe at the GM they'll find something for you.     

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #18 of 266
Actually that's my only hope too.. If there is no detachable cable mod I am afraid that it will happen again. I can post some photos here if you want to take a look? I think when I put it inside of my backpack, left earcup entered into the right one and right earcup's bottom part put stress onto the cable a lot :s It is really unfortunate because I do love these cans they are literally awesome I know I can't do with another one. For the moment, waiting for Thomas...

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #19 of 266
Quote:
Actually that's my only hope too.. If there is no detachable cable mod I am afraid that it will happen again. I can post some photos here if you want to take a look? I think when I put it inside of my backpack, left earcup entered into the right one and right earcup's bottom part put stress onto the cable a lot :s It is really unfortunate because I do love these cans they are literally awesome I know I can't do with another one. For the moment, waiting for Thomas...

Yes, please post the photos...I carry them around with me to all my DJ gigs and never had a problem with the cable. 

The cable is very secure to the cap,

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 266
Pictures are coming

As you can see; the very hard part, at the very beginning didn't bend at all, but cable couldn't take the stress and got broken.

In the future I will get an open back German-MAESTRO too most probably 400 or 435s. I am so happy with my own I hope Thomas will not make me sad and I will get what I want.

I don't have much hope for detachable cable, I will be more careful in the future that's ok. But if they can do the recabling with another cable (I will pay for the cable, all they have to do is recabling job) it is better for me.

I think this guy has some nice cables:

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609073&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

Midnight series seems wonderful for me. Problem is, he is in the States. I hope German-MAESTRO can use similar cables and everyone will be happy.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 266
Quote:
Pictures are coming

As you can see; the very hard part, at the very beginning didn't bend at all, but cable couldn't take the stress and got broken.

In the future I will get an open back German-MAESTRO too most probably 400 or 435s. I am so happy with my own I hope Thomas will not make me sad and I will get what I want.

I don't have much hope for detachable cable, I will be more careful in the future that's ok. But if they can do the recabling with another cable (I will pay for the cable, all they have to do is recabling job) it is better for me.

I think this guy has some nice cables:

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2609073&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

Midnight series seems wonderful for me. Problem is, he is in the States. I hope German-MAESTRO can use similar cables and everyone will be happy.

Okay, now I see what you mean... it's a easy fix. About the braided wire cable, I don't think GM ever used braided wire, but worth the try. Maximum you can provide them with the BTG Midnight cable.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #23 of 266
Yeah I guess it is easy to fix, not for me though. I suck at repairing and all.

About the cable, well, it doesn't have to be a BTG definetely. There should be awesome cable producers, makers in Germany too, they can use whichever the best for my need. Can you give me a suggestion about how should I explain it to them? This week I am gonna talk with Thomas and I want to be clean what I need exactly. Braided wire cable can be an enough explanation for them? I am also not very experienced about making these serious conversations, so an advice would be nice 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, do you think this damage will be covered by warranty or they can say it is a user mistake?

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 266
Okay guys, very good news for me and probably every German-MAESTRO customer.

Once again, yes, Thomas is a great guy. He told me that he would fix all the problems under warranty. Also if I can send them a custom cable, they will use it for recabling too.

So far, I was unhappy with the cable and recently, the headband got loosen up a bit. But without a questions sound quality was amazing so I wanted to keep my headphones with small changes. The cable is gonna be fine, the headband will be fixed. I will also order the oval pads for GMP 8.35D.

Great job German-MAESTRO. So far their customer service is the best compared to my previous experiences.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #25 of 266
I had in the past German Maestro GMP400,German Maestro GMP3.000 and now I have Mb Quart QP400. Actually I hate all of them.:) GMP400 and QP400 are too bright and I can't listen them at enough volume. It's just painful. Also they have small uncomfortable earpads and when these headphones on me something always touches my ears. GMP 8.300 are even more uncomfortable and something wrong with their mids.  
So I think it's better to get Akg K701 instead German Maestro Gmp400/435 and Beyerdynamic DT250 instead 8.300.
Maybe many years ago German Maestro/Mb Quart had great headphones (PMB500/1000/QP85) but now...

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #26 of 266
Quote:
I had in the past German Maestro GMP400,German Maestro GMP3.000 and now I have Mb Quart QP400. Actually I hate all of them.:) GMP400 and QP400 are too bright and I can't listen them at enough volume. It's just painful. Also they have small uncomfortable earpads and when these headphones on me something always touches my ears. GMP 8.300 are even more uncomfortable and something wrong with their mids.  
So I think it's better to get Akg K701 instead German Maestro Gmp400/435 and Beyerdynamic DT250 instead 8.300.
Maybe many years ago German Maestro/Mb Quart had great headphones (PMB500/1000/QP85) but now...

I would strongly recommend GMP 8.35D Monitor, appearantly more pleasing than 8.300. If you like neutral sounding give it a try. Acix is also very big fan of these cans 
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #27 of 266
Quote:

I had in the past the Mb Quart QP 250, and if the GMP400 are similar to the QP 250 sounds, I can see what you mean by, too bright. The GMP 8.35 D Monitor are completely different sound compare to the QP 250, and they're not bright by my definition.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #28 of 266
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 266
Quote:

This is exactly what the QP400 and QP805 sound like when underpowered.

I'd say their downside is that they are a demanding headphone, if anything.  SP-1 (QP450 PRO) sounds very flat out of the Bryston unit - I will admit it was cold out of the D100 alone.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #30 of 266
The GMP400 in it's current form is not at all bright like the QP400.
It has a relativelly neutral tonal balance in stock form.
The QP400 will probably sound more even out of a warmish and powerfull tube amp with high output impedance but will still be bright with it's stock perforated velour earpads.
The GMP has velour earpads without holes.
I still maintain that you are not going to get the best out of these headphones if you don't apply mods to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back