Gentle Giant Appreciation Thread
Mar 8, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Acquiring the taste was the second album I bought in my life (Mr Fantasy by Traffic was the first).
GG was the first live gig I went to.

You can find On reflection on Amazon.co.uk

Good call - I'm going to pick it up there.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Acquiring the taste was the second album I bought in my life (Mr Fantasy by Traffic was the first).
GG was the first live gig I went to.

"The second album I ever bought!" --Only funny if you saw "Shaun of the Dead".
icon10.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Code:

Code:
[left]"The second album I ever bought!" --Only funny if you saw "Shaun of the Dead".[/left]

Sorry, I did not get it. What it has to do with "Shawn of the dead"?

I was just kidding around: In the movie "Shaun of the Dead" there is a funny line in which somewone throws a record at an advancing zombie, and the hero complains "Hey, that's the second album I ever bought!". The line recurs a couple of other times in the movie.

Just havin' fun...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic

Does that mean On Reflection won't be released in the U.S.? According to CD Universe, my copy is still backordered, not cancelled.

I'd prefer to wait . . . unless it's gonna be another six months.
blink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Does that mean On Reflection won't be released in the U.S.? According to CD Universe, my copy is still backordered, not cancelled.

A bit confused about this CD: I did a deep search on the web and the only place mentioning it is Amazon.co.uk (and CD Universe, who says non available).
Amazon.co.uk says 4 to 6 weeks, price £22.99; it also says "import". But import from where???

Anyway I'll order it ASAP and hope to get it, but not too sure that this CD even exist. Even the official website of GG does not mention it!
confused.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
A bit confused about this CD: I did a deep search on the web and the only place mentioning it is Amazon.co.uk (and CD Universe, who says non available).
Amazon.co.uk says 4 to 6 weeks, price £22.99; it also says "import". But import from where???

Anyway I'll order it ASAP and hope to get it, but not too sure that this CD even exist. Even the official website of GG does not mention it!
confused.gif

It is confusing - I did the same thing (ordered from Amazon UK just to see what happens). For those living in the US - the price is 19 pounds plus postage (they discount the VAT for non-Europe buyers).

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic

confused.gif

I just pinged the GG webmaster - He doesn't know what is going on either. He is trying to find out from the record label DRT.

Meanwhile I'll let you know if it shows up from Amazon/uk.

It's funny in a way: GG albums always seem to be affected by distribution isues. "In a Glass House" was arguably the most successful import-only LP in US history.

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #57 of 63
Lots of things happening on the GG remasters front:

1. As well-documented here, DRT Entertainment (Derek Shulman's label), has re-released In a Glass House, Free Hand, Power & the Glory, Playing the Fool, Interview, The Missing Piece and Giant for a Day. Supposedly an anthology is coming (see above) but time will tell. Also, the word is that DRT had trouble obtaining rights to the first four GG albums.

2. Three Friends has recently been reissued on Universal Japan. I have heard some not-so-good things about the remastering - It is apparently very bad.

3. Acquiring the Taste has been reissued on the Repetoire label - I have heard it and it is wonderful.* They are supposedly close to obtaining rights to reissue Octopus and Three Friends, which would be great if the quality could be maintained.

4. There have been other re-releases on the Vertigo label, but they are now OOP. Edge of Twilight (a great early albums anthology) is still available on Amazon used.

* If you pick up the Repetoire Acquiring the Taste, make sure you are getting this one and not the Vertigo edition. The Repetoire is limited to 3000 copies.

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Honestly, I actually like civilian as well.. it has that certain new wave flavor which can get on my nerves, and the production is decidedly in this mode as well (which sucks compared to what I consider to be the excellent production of albums like Freehand (but not in a glass house which has 'odd' production as far as SQ and balance is concerned; although following with the theme, this may have been on purpose).

I've come to think that "Civilian" is better than I originally gave it credit for - I revised my survey and moved up a notch.

May 26, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #59 of 63
Thought this might be useful for those not into vinyl:

Best CD versions of GG albums, in my opinion:

Gentle Giant and Acquiring the Taste: Repetoire (German reissue label, available on Amazon (be careful what you select, especially if you are using a reseller - they have been known to list their product in the wrong Amazon listing). ATT on Repetoire is even better than any vinyl version I have heard - don't miss it;
Three Friends: No good CD version, although Repetoire is supposedly making one. The vinyl version RULES;
Octopus: Japanese OBI reissue - expensive (GREAT NEWS! Repetoire is supposedly releasing a reissue in the next few weeks);
In a Glass House: A tie between the DRT and Alucard issues - each has fans - the DRT is a little brighter and up-to-date sounding in terms of remastering style;
The Power and the Glory: DRT;
Free Hand: DRT;
Interview: DRT (make sure you get the stereo version - this was accidentally remastered in mono for the first pressing);
Playing the Fool: DRT
The Missing Piece: DRT
Giant for a Day: DRT
Civilian: No good CD version.

In every case except ATT, vinyl still outperforms CD for the GG catalog. I have very high hopes fo the Repetoire Octopus.

Just my opinion of course...

May 28, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #60 of 63
Have there been any vinyl GG reissues?? Just curious, thinking of trying them out. If available, I'd just grab an LP, but if not it seems one of the (presumably) CD comps people seem to think highly of would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back