Gentle Giant Appreciation Thread
Jan 17, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #31 of 63
I thought I was the only one who ever heard of Gentle Giant ...never met anyone who heard of them.
Bought Octopus when it first came out in the 70s and a few of their other albums .
A great band , but I really need to be in the mood . I always thought of it as my alternative to Pink Floyd .
Octopus is on my mp3 player still.

Jan 17, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #32 of 63
Any of you guys seen the computer game Azrael's Tear?

The music for the game was composed by two GG members, Kerry Minnear and Ray Shulman. Shulman also did the music for Privateer 2: The Darkening.

You can download the midi files for Azrael's Tear here. Beautiful music, worth a listen if you have a soundcard that can play midi files in good quality.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #33 of 63
It's amazing that one of the members, Derek Shulman I believe, later became a record exec and discovered Bon Jovi, among other popular rock/pop bands of the 80s/90s - none of which had any of the creativity or musicianship of GG - go figure!

And another member (not sure if it's the same guy, can't recall) produced the Sundays' first album and wrote a couple of very popular jingles for the likes of Nike and I think Chrysler or Ford, not sure.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #34 of 63
I think GG are great but what the heck were they thinking when they released giant for a day? It's not nearly as good as anything else they've done, it sounds like they were trying to capture a more mainstream audience but in reality they probably turned off their existing fans and didnt appeal to any new audience either.

Just my $0.02

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Agreed. Technically a bootleg, but what a bootleg!

Here's a fun, well-written article about GG from a recent Village Voice:

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/06...,71655,22.html

Thanks Doc! I enjoyed the Village Voice piece. So, is Octopus the lp for a neophyte to try first?

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #37 of 63
THANK YOU for this thread folks!
I had Glass Houses & Three Friends on Vinyl when they were originally released, but somehow had lost sight of this band over the years.
Great to be reminded of them and to once again hear their great music.
580smile.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
Thanks Doc! I enjoyed the Village Voice piece. So, is Octopus the lp for a neophyte to try first?

They are all great - Octopus would be a good 1st listen.

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #39 of 63
While on a hike today through the mountains where I live, I thought about this thread and decided to list a survey of the original twelve Gentle Giant albums, sorting them in descending order and giving my brief impressions. This is such great music that it deserves to keep finding new audiences, as it has done since it was first released (I would argue that there are many times more GG fans now then when the band was still together!).

With many of these records recently reissued on great remastered CDs, it’s a good time to survey the original catalog. Having said this, the casual GG fan might be better served by finding one of the two excellent compilations out there: Edge of Twilight (which is out of print and getting harder to find, but is worth seeking out for a great overview of the band’s earlier albums), and the new On Reflection, which I don’t think has yet been released as of this writing, but which promises to be a great set. But, this post is about the original albums, so here goes:

Essential – Go Out and Buy Them Now:

In a Glass House – The contrapunctal GG masterpiece – arguably the finest example of their craft. Famously never released in the US (it was deemed "too uncommercial" by the record company), this was an import-only hit for over thirty years until its 2005 re-release (in a fantastic remastering, by the way). From the jarring breaking-glass opening (turn down the headphones!), this is like nothing you have ever heard.

The Power and the Glory – The album which followed IaGH – this is the most consistent GG album, boasting sonics that sound like it was recorded yesterday. Lyrically, it’s their best – an exploration on the uses and misuses of political power that sound as fresh as today’s headlines.

Octopus – Probably the finest example of their early-period sound – this would be a fun first GG album to buy.

Next Wave of Purchases – Almost as Essential as the Ones Above

Free Hand – GG’s most successful release, it was commercial without compromising their contrapunctal sound.

Acquiring the Taste – Not at all commercial, this second GG release shows their sound maturing into the classic GG presentation.

Three Friends – Their most obvious concept album, this release tells the story of, yes, three friends. It’s GG's third album, and contains some wonderful moments.

Playing the Fool Live – One of the best live albums of the 70s, this captures GG in their live glory – it’s hard to believe what a talented, versatile band they were. A recent interview with lead singer Derek Shulman revealed that GG used sheet music – this album shows why it would have been impossible for the not to.

Third Round – Buy ‘em Later

Interview – A less successful follow up to Free Hand, Interview contains two or three of GG’s greatest songs, and sadly some filler. The beginning of the band’s decline, but still completely worth owning.

Giant for a Day – This one’s place on my list will surprise some people; many view it as GG’s worst record. I don’t mind it as long as one remembers what it is: A complete pop sellout. Worth a listen of you don’t expect it to sound anything like GG, it actually sounds more like REO Speedwagon (in their "tuna piano" era).

Gentle Giant – The first album, also unreleased in the U.S. (as far as I know). Some really solid stuff, but a blusier sound than the “main period” GG, and somewhat dated sonics.

Civilian – Their last album, showing the lack of direction the band had in its final hours. Different sound, but some catchy stuff and moments that hearken back to the good years.

For Completists Only

The Missing Piece – Some people like it, but it’s never done anything for me. One or two good songs but that's it.

Hope this helps!

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #40 of 63
Thanks for that Giant post, Doc!
600smile.gif

FYI -- The three-disc anthology, On Reflection (see post #23 by drarthurwells above), will be released on Tuesday, February 21, 2006.

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis[I
Octopus – Probably the finest example of their early-period sound – this would be a fun first GG album to buy.[/i]

Its additionally nice on vinyl cuz its die-cut to be the shape of an 'Octopus preserving jar'. Plus, a great listen.

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #42 of 63
Whoa, just found this thread...

which reminds me, I was listening to XTC's Apple Venus Wasp Star Part I, track I: River of Orchids and I was like... wait, this is a modern GG masterpiece! Well, with strings.

Honestly, I actually like civilian as well.. it has that certain new wave flavor which can get on my nerves, and the production is decidedly in this mode as well (which sucks compared to what I consider to be the excellent production of albums like Freehand (but not in a glass house which has 'odd' production as far as SQ and balance is concerned; although following with the theme, this may have been on purpose).

I really really like Power and the Glory and Octopus.

Feb 27, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Thanks for that Giant post, Doc!
600smile.gif

FYI -- The three-disc anthology, On Reflection (see post #23 by drarthurwells above), will be released on Tuesday, February 21, 2006.

Well, it still shows as "unavailable". Don't know why.
confused.gif

In the meantime, the DRT reissues really are fantastic...

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Well, it still shows as "unavailable". Don't know why.
confused.gif

Me neither, Doc. I pre-ordered On Reflection from cduniverse with a few other CDs, but when the shipping confirmation e-mail came, it said "Our supplier has run out of the item flagged as backorder." Now when I search cduniverse, amazon, and alldirect, On Reflection doesn't show up at all. Strange, indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back