"Genre-Specific" Headphones?
Apr 28, 2009 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
I have been browsing Head-Fi for a while and wondering this. I seem to have read some conflicting opinions. There is the opinion that an "accurate" headphone can play any genre without trouble. Then there is the opinion that ones needs multiple headphones because "genre-specific" headphones exist. I am just getting into the headphone game and my tastes are hugely varied (from folk to electronic and jazz to metal... anything and everything) so I am wondering if I need multiple headphones to enjoy my music?

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 16
IMO, no... One headphone should be enough; an 'accurate' phone should be able to play ALL types of genres. I think the issue,more or less, comes into play with the way music is mastered\mixed, some people tend to use the phones, amps..etc. as 'tone controls'.

Ideally, your setup should play nicely with each other and give you exactly what's in the track.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 16
You can go either way with this. There are several excellent all-around headphones; I'd recommend buying one of those as a first headphone.

The problem is that you'll eventually get curious about other headphones. You'll probably end up with a few and find yourself swapping based on what you're listening to. That's fun, but pick something that does well with everything for your first pair.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been browsing Head-Fi for a while and wondering this. I seem to have read some conflicting opinions. There is the opinion that an "accurate" headphone can play any genre without trouble. Then there is the opinion that ones needs multiple headphones because "genre-specific" headphones exist. I am just getting into the headphone game and my tastes are hugely varied (from folk to electronic and jazz to metal... anything and everything) so I am wondering if I need multiple headphones to enjoy my music?

We can do this by example...I've always used one for everything.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 16
Different headphones have certain strengths. Before I got the AKG 701s I never listened to Female Jazz Vocalist but they sound so good with this headphone it has become one of my favorite genre's. But Rock and Roll sounds pretty aenemic with 701 so my Grado SR-125 or Denon D7000 see alot more use with that genre. It does seem to me like the D7000 is a better all around can than my Grado or Akg headphones.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 16
haha.... thanks. I have the AD700s and am enjoying all my genres the moment but you are right about reading head-fi. Head-fi made me question wether I need some more cans for my hip-hop and electronic stuff because the Ad700s are "Bass-shy". This place corrupts me lol... I never thought of the bass on my headphones until I read this and now it's really bugging me.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 16
What I'm facing now is having too many headphones that excel in only specific areas and wondering if I would enjoy music better with just one really good headphone that brings the level up a few notches all around.

Despite what some people here think, I think neutral headphones that are very true to the source will play any genre with a large amount of success.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite what some people here think, I think neutral headphones that are very true to the source will play any genre with a large amount of success.

High five ^_^

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha.... thanks. I have the AD700s and am enjoying all my genres the moment but you are right about reading head-fi. Head-fi made me question wether I need some more cans for my hip-hop and electronic stuff because the Ad700s are "Bass-shy". This place corrupts me lol... I never thought of the bass on my headphones until I read this and now it's really bugging me.

Take most of what you read here with a grain of salt. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. Many here are never satisfied, and will try to have you believe you can't be either. But if you enjoy what you hear and let that be enough, you'll be richer than the people with innumerable gear who still pine for more.

May 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 16
I would map out your listening percentage mixes:

- audio vs. movies vs. gaming
- within audio e.g., folk 20%, electronic 30%, jazz 25%, metal 15%, other 10%

You can also factor in your audio collection in the calculation mix. From there, search the forums to narrow down the best-of-breed cans for each genre. If you're looking for hip hop, electronic cans, popular cans include SA5000s, D5000s, and DT880s. I have the DT880s and they are great for hip hop and electronic music. They are 'accurate' and scale well with other music genres.

May 3, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 16
My 325i Goldies are good at playing everything.
My Senn HD650s are good at playing everything.
It's all subjective. I feel my 650s are better than my Grados at classical music, but that certainly doesn't make the Grados bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back