"Abacab"

Where's "Invisible Touch"!
frown.gif
wink.gif

Anybody know if the releases are 5.1?

Jan 12, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 6
Ahh, I love it! No need for Invisible Touch, I already have that on CD
wink.gif
Actually, total need for Invisible Touch, that would push the format on a scale close to Brothers in Arms.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a disc or two on that list you'd recommend?

Question not aimed at me, but I'll bite. None of the best Genesis albums are on that list of SACDs. For me the best ones are the Peter Gabriel-era albums: I'd recommend Foxtrot (which I currently count as my second favourite album ever) Nursery Cryme, Selling England By The Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and, from the late Phil Collins era, Genesis.

That said, And Then There Were Three (if synth-heavy) is pretty good, as are Trick of the Tail and (at a pinch) Abacab. The other two never made much impression on me.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 6
"Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering" are the only ones worth checking out on that list, in my opinion. But I'm not a fan of Genesis with Collins fronting the band. Steve Hackett was a huge part of the sound I liked, and by Wind and Wuthering, the "pop sound" was really starting to infect their music. Hackett left thereafter.

Apparently, the Gabriel releases are slated for 2008? "Foxtrot" and "Nursery Cryme" would be my picks from that era, though "Tresspass" and "Selling England by the Pound" are also excellent albums.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, I couldn't say it better than those above me.

If I was starting out with the Genesis SACD's. I would pick up "Trick of the tail" and "And Then There Were Three". If liked the former, go for "Wind and Wuthering". If the later, go for "Duke" and then "Abacab"

Be careful with the last three you're getting into undisputed synth cheese territory. I like to think of those two as the Rush lite interlude before the very MTV dance pop period to follow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Actually, total need for Invisible Touch, that would push the format on a scale close to Brothers in Arms.

I'm not going to lie. When I first hear "Land of Confusion" or "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" on SACD, that may indeed be the greatest moment of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back