General comment on 5.1/7.1 vs. stereo regarding headphones for gaming.
Aug 1, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

kraychik

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share some information with you all regarding 5.1/7.1 headphones when compared to stereo headphones in terms of positional audio performance. I am compelled to make this post in response to many posts from many people on many sites that claim that high-end stereo headphones are the best option for those persons looking for a set of cans to deliver exceptional positional audio when gaming. Anyone who states that stereo headphones deliver better positional audio performance than 5.1/7.1 headphones doesn't understand the process through which the human brain interprets audio information. Specifically, these people do not understand (or have chosen not to consider...) the anatomy of the human ear and how our bodies receive and process audio signals with respect to position. I unfortunately haven't yet had a chance to test out a quality pair of 5.1 or 7.1 cans for gaming, but assuming that they really do have an intelligent speaker setup within the cans themselves, they will absolutely deliver much more accurate audio positioning when it comes to gaming. Without going into details (I'm sure explanations and diagrams online regarding ear/brain anatomy will do a much better job of explaining the matter than I can in this thread), stereo headphones can only do two things, process left vs. right intensity. There is no front or back possibility, here. Stereo headphones absolutely cannot tell you if something is front-left or back-right, or anything like that. Only 5.1 or 7.1 headphones can give you that audio information. I'm unsure if 5.1 or 7.1 headphones can deliver up/down audio cues, though. I'd imagine they cannot.

Anyways, this is important information for those who are looking for headphones primarily for gaming. Don't drink the kool-aid that says high-end stereo headphones (which are the SHIZNIT for music, ya dig!) are superior for gaming. They are absolutely NOT.

It should be noted that I am talking about NON-USB 5.1/7.1 headphones, here, so that you can actually take advantage of your soundcard.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kraychik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?

Because the drivers are closed to ones ears you get increased detail which makes it easier to pick up footsteps etc.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way to fail on understanding how stereo headphones work.

Have YOU owned a quality pair of stereo headphones?

I'm listening to my DT770s right now, actually. You are a perfect example of the type of person I am warning speculative buyers about. If you think that two speakers (stereo headphones) can somehow blend sounds together to create the illusion of audio positioning, you simply do not understand the anatomy of the ear and how our brains interpret audio signals in terms of position. And yes, I've listened to the haircut audio illusion with my headphones, and the only effect you can hear is left and right and distance (based on intensity of volume) with respect to left and right. You CANNOT discern between front and back with stereo headphones: period.

EDIT: Way to fail on understanding how our brains intepret audio information from our ears.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the drivers are closed to ones ears you get increased detail which makes it easier to pick up footsteps etc.

I don't understand your first post... re-read it and you'll understand my confusion. What is it you're trying to tell me? :-\

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Wait, did you think I was comparing 5.1/7.1 headphones to 5.1/7.1 speaker setups? That's not what I was comparing...

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 45
interesting. people do have a tendency to just skim over posts and post their opinion, i've noticed...

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kraychik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, did you think I was comparing 5.1/7.1 headphones to 5.1/7.1 speaker setups? That's not what I was comparing...

No. I did not think that.

I understand your confusion at my first post. It has been edited accordingly.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

No. I did not think that.

I understand your confusion at my first post. It has been edited accordingly.

Ok cool, I understand. There's little doubt that the actual sound quality from a nice pair of stereo headphones isn't going to be matched by 5.1/7.1 gaming headphones. But again, I am only talking about positional audio and one's ability to accurately pinpoint in-game audio cues. Again, I've never been able to test out a nice set of 5.1/7.1 headphones (i.e. some of the Tritton headphones out there), but I'm sure their audio quality is decent/sharp enough to discern between different sounds as well as accurately hearing location.

All I'm trying to get at is that stereo headphones simply cannot provide any audio information aside from left vs. right and distance. So, forget about hearing anything with respect to front vs. rear with stereo headphones.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

I'm listening to my DT770s right now, actually. You are a perfect example of the type of person I am warning speculative buyers about. If you think that two speakers (stereo headphones) can somehow blend sounds together to create the illusion of audio positioning, you simply do not understand the anatomy of the ear and how our brains interpret audio signals in terms of position. And yes, I've listened to the haircut audio illusion with my headphones, and the only effect you can hear is left and right and distance (based on intensity of volume) with respect to left and right. You CANNOT discern between front and back with stereo headphones: period.

Everybodys ears are different. We all perceive sound differently. The equations used in dsp 5.1 are for the "average" ear. Its works great for some and not so great for others. Different cans also make a difference in this perceived staging of positions. For me, the dsp with my astro mixamp through any headphone Ive hooked up have been easy to discern where the sound is coming from front to back included. The cans will change how big the stage is, the dsp/amp will posistion the sounds appropriately 360 degrees on that stage. Also, you need to listen to the dsp/cans for a good few days for your brain to adjust to the dsp produced sound. Its not always apparent just trying it out for a couple of minutes. Just like the first time someone told you about how stereo headphones have a soundstage the first time you listened, it probably took you a while to perceive and realize what they were talking about, but it exists just as much as dsp suround sound through stero headphones.

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 45
explain to me how you can have 5.1 or 7.1 headphones. 4 drivers in 1 ear, 3 in the other? big one strapped to the back of your head? think about it. how can you fit 3 drivers in a single ear cup? 3 tiny drivers? great sound resolution and range they will give you.

you have just said you have never tested a pair, and you are now basicly spitting out the marketing crap you swallowed up. what about ultrasones S-Logic technology with their angled drivers?

and what about EAX effects, utilising the dopler effect and other psychoacustic effects to project and audable image? surely if they did nothing, they wouldnt be used so widely?

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 45
You only have two ears right? But they are able to perceive the surround sound of a 5.1 speaker setup right? Your ears are able to perceive the surround sound by the different volumes and different timings of the signals getting to your ears. If a computer is able to recreate the different timing and volume and output it through your stereo headphones, your brain wont know the difference between two channels and 5.1. All the sound from 5 speakers are 2 headphone drivers all have to hit and go down the same two ears, two canals, and be translated by the same two eardrums, and perceived by the same brain. The only flaw is the equation that is used to determine the dsp might not be best suited for the way it is going to channel into you ears. In which case you may not perceive the surround sound correctly. For others like me, it works beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back