General comment on 5.1/7.1 vs. stereo regarding headphones for gaming.
Aug 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kraychik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it comes to audio positioning, everybody's ears are the same. Everything you just is meaningless with respect to audio positioning when using stereo headphones. Stereo headphones CANNOT produce the effect of something being in front or in the rear. It's not an issue of opinion. It doesn't matter who you are, if you close your eyes and I talk to you, you can tell where I am. Stereo headphones CANNOT produce this effect. All they can produce is left and right and distance from left or right. I guess you're drinking the kool-aid, as well.

Explain to me how I have been able to tell when an enemy is coming up behind me in games for so long then? Maybe it is just luck?

lol what a joke.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

I'm listening to my DT770s right now, actually. You are a perfect example of the type of person I am warning speculative buyers about. If you think that two speakers (stereo headphones) can somehow blend sounds together to create the illusion of audio positioning, you simply do not understand the anatomy of the ear and how our brains interpret audio signals in terms of position. And yes, I've listened to the haircut audio illusion with my headphones, and the only effect you can hear is left and right and distance (based on intensity of volume) with respect to left and right. You CANNOT discern between front and back with stereo headphones: period.

EDIT: Way to fail on understanding how our brains intepret audio information from our ears.

Umm..ever listen to pink floyd's dark side of the moon on headphones? Yes you certainly can get front and back WITH STEREO!

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #33 of 45
Headphone users who promote them as good as a multi-channel home theatre are kidding themselves. Much the same as those who don't have a center speaker and set it to disabled because they believe it's better that way.

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Umm..ever listen to pink floyd's dark side of the moon on headphones? Yes you certainly can get front and back WITH STEREO!

Indeed, in MJ's trhiller song i can clearly hear the footsteps behind me when the song starts... And when he starts singing his voice is in front of me.

So yeah, front and back is quite possible with HPs..

Aug 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone users who promote them as good as a multi-channel home theatre are kidding themselves. Much the same as those who don't have a center speaker and set it to disabled because they believe it's better that way.

Nobody's claiming that. We're saying a stereo headphone is capable of producing a more convincing surround sound experience than a 5.1 headphone in which the OP was arguing the reverse is true instead.

However, I suspect that with the SVS Realiser and a subwoofer, headphone can certainly come very very close if not equal to it.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #36 of 45
Bi aural recordings prove your theory wrong.. & if movies were made for headphones, many people would be ditching their 5.1 THS, regardless of cost.. 5.1 SS can't touch a good bi aural recording for realism.. It plays with your mind.. I heard a blow dryer in my left ear, & my left ear felt hot!! When a bag was put over 'my head' during a bi aural recording, I actually gasped for air, & felt my stomach clinch. No 5.1 system can duplicate these physical feelings.. But headphones can.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bi aural recordings prove your theory wrong.. & if movies were made for headphones, many people would be ditching their 5.1 THS, regardless of cost.. 5.1 SS can't touch a good bi aural recording for realism.. It plays with your mind.. I heard a blow dryer in my left ear, & my left ear felt hot!! When a bag was put over 'my head' during a bi aural recording, I actually gasped for air, & felt my stomach clinch. No 5.1 system can duplicate these physical feelings.. But headphones can.

Oh snap, I never thought about that.

Yeah, it's true, 5.1 does the far stuff well, but it can't do the close-to-head stuff the way headphones can.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh snap, I never thought about that.

Yeah, it's true, 5.1 does the far stuff well, but it can't do the close-to-head stuff the way headphones can.

Imagine COD recorded bi aurally.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #39 of 45
tl;dr - I use sometimes some true multi speaker headphones for gaming - its better than 2 channel for spotting the crap behind you when trying to get the BOOM HEADSHOT! I think its more the coding than the speakers - sending discrete signals instead of relying on some software mixer to do it

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

I'm listening to my DT770s right now, actually. You are a perfect example of the type of person I am warning speculative buyers about. If you think that two speakers (stereo headphones) can somehow blend sounds together to create the illusion of audio positioning, you simply do not understand the anatomy of the ear and how our brains interpret audio signals in terms of position. And yes, I've listened to the haircut audio illusion with my headphones, and the only effect you can hear is left and right and distance (based on intensity of volume) with respect to left and right. You CANNOT discern between front and back with stereo headphones: period.

EDIT: Way to fail on understanding how our brains intepret audio information from our ears.

This is stupid. You get the effect best with IEM's, where the drivers are closest to your inner ear. The binaural recording works with headphones where there is little to no cross feed. They sound plain terrible with speakers and worse with surround sound setups. Way to fail on understanding how binaural recordings are made.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is stupid. You get the effect best with IEM's, where the drivers are closest to your inner ear. The binaural recording works with headphones where there is little to no cross feed. They sound plain terrible with speakers and worse with surround sound setups. Way to fail on understanding how binaural recordings are made.

That may not be entirely true given that it works extremely well with the K1000. In fact, virtual barber shop never sounded better IMO.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may not be entirely true given that it works extremely well with the K1000. In fact, virtual barber shop never sounded better IMO.

I mean, think about it. You put two tiny microphones inside the ears of a dummy head. Then you record the music using those two. The recorded sound already has crossfeed taken into account. Adding more just muddies the effect. Theoretically, you'd get the most out of using one of those ridiculous Etymotic hearing testing in-ears.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, think about it. You put two tiny microphones inside the ears of a dummy head. Then you record the music using those two. The recorded sound already has crossfeed taken into account. Adding more just muddies the effect. Theoretically, you'd get the most out of using one of those ridiculous Etymotic hearing testing in-ears.

I don't hear anything muddy. I don't understand the technical knowledge of such things, I'm only going by what I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back