GEEZ, teflon insulated cable extremely hard to strip, any trick?
Nov 15, 2005 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
I got some teflon insulated, silver plated copper stranded cable. (a lot of descriptions eh?)
icon10.gif

they are like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/50-ft-22-AWG-Sil...QQcmdZViewItem

I tried to strip them by my wire stripper. Goshhhhh. they are extremely hard to strip!!! 100 times harder than stripping the PVC insulated cable or any carnare/mogami/belden quad whatsoever. I tried my best to strip 1/8 inch for each time and finally got 1/2 inch stripped. And I find they are really stiff compare to normal 22AWG copper cable. Are they supposed to be so stiff? Is there any trick to strip them???
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 20
if it is the wire you linked to, I doubt the teflon insulation is the one giving you problems but rather the kapton insulation underneath.

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 20
Ideal T-Strippers... sometimes you can find these at Home Depot, etc. I have two.. one is for 22ga-30ga solid, the other does ~18ga-28ga or thereabouts both solid and stranded.

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 20
Kapton, isn't that the stuff that's soluble in salt water?

I use a cheapass $2 harbor freight stripper, and just tweak the adjustment until it cuts deep enough.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
Ideal T-Strippers...

Seconded. The only time I have trouble is when trying to strip a short segment (2 inches or less) so the amount of wire to grab onto is insufficient for the force of stripping. To cope in that situation, I grab one end of the wire in pliers and the other end with the wire strippers.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 20
I use the cheap ones that come in those bargain tool sets. You have to replace the screw that adjusts how deep it cuts with a bolt (so you can get a socket on it) and then replace the nut with a stand off. The edge of the stand off provides a straight area for the cutter to stop on. You'll have to move the stand off back and forth until it strips without nicking the wire. Once it's in place tighten it down with a socket on one end and a wrench on the other. It won't move after that and cuts clean everytime. I ususally keep all my wire between 24-26 awg so I never have to re-adjust it.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
Ideal T-Strippers...

Third, and I also have the problem with short pieces of wire that the stripper pulls all of the insulation off, but with normal lengths, it isnt a problem. I have thought about picking up a thermal stripper at times off ebay, but havnt done it yet.

Nov 15, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Are automatic wire strippers any good for teflon coated stranded wire?

The one I have is horrible with teflon.. stretches it instead of cutting it.

Nov 15, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 20
Nov 15, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 20
Nov 15, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
Only apparent difference is you have bent handles on yours. What I find works best (for me), is to put the wire in at the correct size, squeeze it down, and rotate it a bit, to cut the insulation all the way around a bit better, then pull it off.

that's exactly what I did and it works quite well on PVC but not teflon... they are extremely stiff and hard to pull the coating off...
frown.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 20
I found a Klein stripper at Home Depot that is made for smaller gauges (~18-28), and surprisingly, it was only about $12. Real nice pair.

Hrm... a $12 stripper with a nice pair? Oxymoron.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back