Geez Louis!! Wheel of Time Prequels
Oct 4, 2004 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Budley007

500+ Head-Fier
I just perused Robert Jordan's website and discovered a new book in "The Wheel of Time" saga. It's a prequel with 2 more promised.

In the interview he explained that he's trying to write the main story ending in 2 more books, but might end up writing 3. So the final total is 12-13 main story books and 3 prequels. I'll be retired by the time I read the last one. I've already read the series 3 times just to be up to speed for the last 2 books that came out.

I think it would be safe to say at this point it's an official hobby. Good reading folks. We'll have a big party at the rest home when this is all over.

Oct 4, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 14
Someone recommended the Wheel of Time series to me a few years ago. When the guy told me how many books there were, and how there was no real end in site, I thanked him for the recommendation and promply vowed to never read such a longwinded series. ^_^

I'll stick to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin...at least that one will probably end in six books.

Oct 4, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 14
The Belgariad series by David Eddings should have stopped at the original three- short and sweet. It feels like they've milked that teat dry since then.

Oct 4, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The Belgariad series by David Eddings should have stopped at the original three- short and sweet. It feels like they've milked that teat dry since then

I don't know... it's been about eight years since I finished all of the books, but I think had Eddings stopped at Magician's Gambit, the third book of the five book Belgariad, it would have left too many things unresolved. The second set of five, the Mallorean, may have been an attempt to milk the characters, but you did not need to read the additional cycle to enjoy the original cycle. Eddings did the same thing with his other books, the cycles, The Elenium and the Tamuli. I enjoyed those ones as much, if not more as the Garion stories, but similarly, he wrote a second cycle to further the use of the characters.

As far as Jordan goes, I do think that he has been milking as much as possible from the WOT. While I enjoy the books, the last few have been hit or miss. Some have been really boring. Instead of the some of the boring aspects of Aes Sedai politics that he spends a lot of time on, he could have easily gotten to the final battle and ended the series. Of course I will be there in line to get the next book when it comes out.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfense
I don't know... it's been about eight years since I finished all of the books, but I think had Eddings stopped at Magician's Gambit, the third book of the five book Belgariad, it would have left too many things unresolved. The second set of five, the Mallorean, may have been an attempt to milk the characters, but you did not need to read the additional cycle to enjoy the original cycle. Eddings did the same thing with his other books, the cycles, The Elenium and the Tamuli. I enjoyed those ones as much, if not more as the Garion stories, but similarly, he wrote a second cycle to further the use of the characters.

As far as Jordan goes, I do think that he has been milking as much as possible from the WOT. While I enjoy the books, the last few have been hit or miss. Some have been really boring. Instead of the some of the boring aspects of Aes Sedai politics that he spends a lot of time on, he could have easily gotten to the final battle and ended the series. Of course I will be there in line to get the next book when it comes out.
biggrin.gif

Were there five? Lol my memory fails me. I guess that's what I meant - the first story arc. Yep the Mallorean thing was just, ugh, I couldn't read it. The first 5 books would make for a great movie imho.

Oct 4, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
I just perused Robert Jordan's website and discovered a new book in "The Wheel of Time" saga. It's a prequel with 2 more promised.

I read the prequel which is actually out. It is kinda entertaining ("the story of Moira and Lan"), but not as zippy as the best books of the main series. I thought the last two of the main series were definitely less good than the first 8 or 10.

Strohmie, I'm getting really sick of waiting for the next Grrrr Martin book. I'm gonna forget so much that I'll have to reread the first three to get into the damn thing when it does come out....
rolleyes.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Strohmie, I'm getting really sick of waiting for the next Grrrr Martin book. I'm gonna forget so much that I'll have to reread the first three to get into the damn thing when it does come out....
rolleyes.gif

I did that this summer...went through the three books again in about two months. But considering that the book is still in the writing phase I might well lose much of it again.

Oct 4, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 14
I had to chuckle, all the series that were mentioned here have been read and reread by me in the past. My absolute favorite is the GRR Martin's series. I've read it three times as well.

Another series that I can mention that is slowely killing itself without an ending is Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" series. The last 2 books were "almost" not worth reading. Since you've already invested the time and money to the story, it's compulsory to continue.

I've never given up on a series that I really enjoyed, but it's becoming more of a possibility lately. Suspense can be cruel, and from an author's standpoint, it can be abused as well.

edited for info

Oct 5, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 14
I don't think I liked any Jordan WOT book more than the first one. It was all downhill from there :\

GRRMartin is unbelievably good, way beyond Jordan's prose and story telling IMO. I can't wait for the next book, but what kills me most is the long wait for the paperback. For convenience, I'd just much rather own paperbacks than hardcovers.

One series which has pretty frustrating prose but what I'm continuing to find to be really good story telling is the Sun Sword series by Michelle West. The story telling is really quite good but she really frustrates me with the idioms of her prose at times. At least it's not something that characters do like wring their skirts or something, that really ticked me off. I'm starting book 4 of her series and I think there's at least 3 more books out. Each tome is 700 to 800 pages, lots of good meat to chow down on.

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
IAnother series that I can mention that is slowely killing itself without an ending is David Edding's "The Sword of Truth" series. The last 2 books were "almost" not worth reading. Since you've already invested the time and money to the story, it's compulsory to continue.

I suspect you might mean Terry Goodkind's "Sword Of Truth" series. And I agree that the second to last one was pointless. It didnt even include the series primary characters until the last few pages. I've not read the latest one, but it is in the pile.

I also cant wait for George R.R. Martins next book, great writing.

JC

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 14
strohmie said:
Someone recommended the Wheel of Time series to me a few years ago. When the guy told me how many books there were, and how there was no real end in site, I thanked him for the recommendation and promply vowed to never read such a longwinded series. ^_^

Good choice, the first four, maybe five books were very promising, well done, good reading. After that, the entire saga has gotten out of hand, off track, and increasingly lost and pointless.
A Fantasy book club that I used to belong to held a night where the winners got prizes for identifying the longest number of pages in any of the latter books that went on without ANYTHING happening. There were any number of entries over 100 pages, and the winner was nearly 200 pages!

JC

Oct 5, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
I suspect you might mean Terry Goodkind's "Sword Of Truth" series. And I agree that the second to last one was pointless. It didnt even include the series primary characters until the last few pages. I've not read the latest one, but it is in the pile.

I also cant wait for George R.R. Martins next book, great writing.

JC

Doh! Yea....it's Goodkind...I had the first book sitting right in front of me and got the Eddings name stuck in my head. Thanks

standby for edit....done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back