Geez do I have to post this everywhere.
Mar 3, 2007 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ldj325

500+ Head-Fier
I posted the bulk of this on a thread that was largely politely comparing two different IEMs, albeit with a mild bit of bashing of the other IEM.

But then I saw this thread that I thought it was an even better thread for it: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227874 Then I realized it was probably good for a lot of threads in my ever so humble opinion. So here you go.

"Title: Everybody Knows Chocolate is Better Than Vanilla

But Strawberry is the best. And Rachael McAdams is the most beautiful woman, or lets see is it Anne Hathaway? Oh that's right, Rachael is cute and Anne is sultry.

Seems kind of silly, huh!

I am saying this for new folks mainly who may lurk about trying to determine the "best" headphone or amp or whatever gear. (This was me a few months ago, so I am not trying to be superior.) I appreciate these threads because I can eventually make out something about the sound signature of different gear. But I find that pronouncements of best, worse, better especially when comparing different house sounds or presentations are ultimately of little value because we all have different musical tastes (like in our individual taste in food, women, men, or whatever floats your boat).

My advice is to listen to the descriptions and yes the comparisons to get a sense of what the sound signatures are like. But ultimately its best to listen to something, even if you have to buy it first. And if you can listen to your two top choises first (or buy both) that is even better. These things can be returned for a restocking fee or sold without too much loss.

But the value judgments have to be based upon your taste. I happen to like the E500 (which I don't own) more than the ER-4P that I do own, so the 4Ps are being returned.

And one of the general principles that I have found is that at whatever pricepoint, there is no universally recognized best and that all gear has strenghts and weaknesses so that it ultimately comes down to a trade off.

When I hear words/descriptions especially comparing two pieces of gear like: Best, Worse, Killed, Blow Away, Over-rated, Underrated etc. that is my red flag that I am about to hear about someone's personal taste that may or may not have anything in common with my personal taste."

But it is kind of fun to stir up the pot every once in awhile--good for the circulation.

I vote for a sticky as this is the best and wisest post ever written..... ahem, by me.
wink.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
580smile.gif
/
600smile.gif
gs1000.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
3000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
lambda.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Thats why usually there are "IMO"s sprinkled throughout a review. If theres not, just add them yourself when reading it. If you throw away all the "better than"s then youre not left with much, a lot of the "better than"s are very useful.

But overall i do agree that too often opinions are treated as fact (although i still do this sometimes when i feel strongly).

Mar 3, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm confused about that post... Too many big words!!! What does it all mean??
blink.gif

Edit: Read it again, and now I get it!

This is sorta me... Maybe I should take this advice, and instead of asking which one is best, just buy one. In this case, I think I might just buy the Beresford 7510 Mk III, and forget about it. If it sucks, too bad. I'll return/sell it and buy my second choice, the Zhaolu 2.5A.

Thanks for this post! Kinda points things out more clearly than others.

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 7
There are specific differences between headphones, and also sources and amps, that can be compared and described as better or worse, larger or smaller, more or less, etc.

Attributes such as soundstage size, amount of details, sense of airyness, imaging precision, tonal balance, bass impact, bass tightness, etc. can be compared and one may be determined as "better" than the other. True, it's relative and preferences and "different ears" also play a part, but I believe there are some objective truths when comparing headphones and other audio gear.

For example, the SA5000 is detailed; it has more details than the Grado HF-1. The K701 has a large, wide soundstage, larger than the RS-1. The HD650 has some mid-bass emphasis, more than the K701. The RS-1 has treble energy, more than the A950LTD. People might perceive the relative degree as different, but I think these are some objective "facts" that can be accepted as general "truths."

Otherwise, this site would be mostly useless since "everybody hears differently." I believe there are some variations in our hearing, or perceived hearing, but I don't think we hear very differently. Again, a relative judgment. I believe there are more differences in our expectations, standards (such as "strong bass" vs. "enough bass") and ways of expressing what we hear with words than in our actual hearing.

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are specific differences between headphones, and also sources and amps, that can be compared and described as better or worse, larger or smaller, more or less, etc.

Attributes such as soundstage size, amount of details, sense of airyness, imaging precision, tonal balance, bass impact, bass tightness, etc. can be compared and one may be determined as "better" than the other. True, it's relative and preferences and "different ears" also play a part, but I believe there are some objective truths when comparing headphones and other audio gear.

For example, the SA5000 is detailed; it has more details than the Grado HF-1. The K701 has a large, wide soundstage, larger than the RS-1. The HD650 has some mid-bass emphasis, more than the K701. The RS-1 has treble energy, more than the A950LTD. People might perceive the relative degree as different, but I think these are some objective "facts" that can be accepted as general "truths."

Otherwise, this site would be mostly useless since "everybody hears differently." I believe there are some variations in our hearing, or perceived hearing, but I don't think we hear very differently. Again, a relative judgment. I believe there are more differences in our expectations, standards (such as "strong bass" vs. "enough bass") and ways of expressing what we hear with words than in our actual hearing.

It was not my intention to suggest that there are no differences between HPs or that it is impossible to describe those differences objectively. In fact most of your middle paragraphs are what I would call objective qualities.

And it would be too sweping a generalization to say that you can't make any global generalizations or value judgments. The Senn 650 or AKG701 is probably a better headphone than a KSC75 (unless you are using it in public or for exercise). But tell me if the 650 is a better HP than the 701 or that one "kills" the other? Yet that gets debated all the time by those who "should" know better.

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
152 posts and you just figured this all out? You are a legend.
wink.gif

Thank you for recognizing that. I couldn't agree more.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back