Geek Wold Discussion
Aug 9, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #781 of 1,620
Except that my experience with the GK 10 has no resemblance to the iem Crinicle describes! I would never have bought it if I took his mini review seriously and it is my favorite budget iem now and I listen to it more than tribrids costing 7 or 800! Granted I upgraded the cable, tips and amped it but I try that with all my items and doing that with GK10 paid off in spades. I even bought a backup set for the future and friends immediately ordered a set after hearing mine. Makes me not trust the off the cuff short reviews by Crinicle which is a shame can I trust his rating chart now? I don’t know…..The GK 10 I have sounds lovely across all kinds of music also but just not on poorly recorded tracks where it exposes their flaws….still best 48$ I ever spent in this hobby!
One should judge basis what they hear and not basis some celebrity's impressions. He too is human and can have different views. Best way is to make a sound judgement by reading as many impressions and reviews one can, if they're unable to demo a set locally.

Glad that you are enjoying your set!

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #782 of 1,620
Except that my experience with the GK 10 has no resemblance to the iem Crinicle describes! I would never have bought it if I took his mini review seriously and it is my favorite budget iem now and I listen to it more than tribrids costing 7 or 800! Granted I upgraded the cable, tips and amped it but I try that with all my items and doing that with GK10 paid off in spades. I even bought a backup set for the future and friends immediately ordered a set after hearing mine. Makes me not trust the off the cuff short reviews by Crinicle which is a shame can I trust his rating chart now? I don’t know…..The GK 10 I have sounds lovely across all kinds of music also but just not on poorly recorded tracks where it exposes their flaws….still best 48$ I ever spent in this hobby!
:thumbsup:

You must be my invisible twin...

Cheers.

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #783 of 1,620
just got mine this morning in blue, just took it out of the box, plugged into my samsung s7 and stuffed em in my head and played some music and I'm pretty dang impressed. the first thing that stood out to me was the separation and also I was expecting bass when I followed the forum but... I didnt get much of that? I am finding the extension to be fairly good (coming from the ex800st) but I'm not really noticing any emphasis on bass at all really, maybe slightly on the subbass?
I played: George Benson - Affirmation live (woooow, v nice)
Cecile Corbel- Les Passengers Du vent and Mary
EW&F- September
A.R Rahman Jashn-E-Bahaaraa (this sounded great, the others did too but this one's very shimmery almost sharp)
Chinmayi- Titli (sharp but enjoyable)
Jay-z - Bam
BTS - Black swan
Sickick - spinner riddim (bass test tbh, not much but it's there and enough to enjoy it)
I'm excited to try these powered off my qudelix5k and I still need to mess around with other tips except the stock ones, these are literally first impressions right out of the box I guess, for the price I paid I'm very happy (sorry to feed into the hype)
Enjoy, 👍

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #784 of 1,620
:thumbsup:

You must be my invisible twin...

Cheers.
Ha! I take that as a compliment! Well we must both actually listen carefully to music and fool around with gear...im producing 2 live concerts this week
One with Fantuzzi...blues rock.. and one with Ashley Beach... New Orleans funk rock but I'm sure I'll still love my GK10s when I get home!!

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #785 of 1,620
Boy, the expected delivery time of 15 to 25 days is feeling mighty long right now.

As for reviews, I don't really see the point of blindly trusting reviewS, much less a single review (or reviewer). I'm honestly jealous of anyone who's found a reviewer whose tastes genuinely align with their own so well that they can just... Well, blindly trust them, I suppose. But crap gets really obnoxious the instant it becomes this "not to your (fav reviewer's) taste = incompetent" kinda thing, like there was some obvious absolute truth to enjoying music. It's especially annoying in a hobby like this where stuff gets real expensive real quick and, depending on your situation, you pretty much have to read reviews and impressions and make decisions based on them because auditioning stuff just isn't possible.

Personally I'm mostly just reading the review section of head-fi for whatever IEM or cans or amp or [Other] I'm interested in, trying to see what the common points between the reviews are and what most agree on and deciding based on that. And if I still have questions, I'll usually pop into one of these threads and just ask them.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #786 of 1,620
A.R Rahman Jashn-E-Bahaaraa (this sounded great, the others did too but this one's very shimmery almost sharp)
Chinmayi- Titli (sharp but enjoyable)
I think it's also because of how these are songs are mixed. Both have very sharp vocals and instrumentation. Both are good songs but I think there's some inherent sharpness to these songs especially with gear where treble has a bit of air and sparkle.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #787 of 1,620
Competence in acoustic design is very much personal and subjective for every individual. What I like he won't like and vice versa. So can I say his S class IEMs don't have competent acoustic design? Well, technically I should be able to. If you agree with his views, more power to you. But, in general I won't buy into his or anyone's views without checking mass impressions. Because there are bazillion things different in my and his gears+setups. So there's not even a 1% chance that both of us will hear exact same stuff from the same IEMs.

Exactly, he's no different than any other human being. And he too has his pet peeves with music like all of us, so what he says should be considered like anyone else's opinions.
What I said in regards to good acoustic design is irrelevant to crinacles opinions (I don't agree with some of his top picks either)

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #788 of 1,620
Have about 6 hours on my pair now. Out of the box the DDs were pretty messy. All uncontrolled mid-bass with bad sub bass roll off.
Left them for a few hours and come back to them. Has improved significantly.
Will let them burn in for a couple of days then have a play with tips.
The tuning is definitely very well done to get these differing components to gel.
I'm a believer in burn in and know better than to judge too early, so I'll keep my remaining thoughts to myself for now!

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #789 of 1,620
Crinacle’s out of the box impression is up.

it looks pretty similar with mine, but the measurements indicates it’s the “bad one”

Hopefully he spend enough time to reach

From

“Bloated bass with pretty nice piezo sparkling”

To

This final conclusion

But from my understanding Crinacle won’t spent much time (as he got loads of other IEMs / Cans coming in and waiting for assignments) for something did not hit his interest in the initial run. It appears bass bleed is impacting his view toward GK10.

@chen siyuan

Reviewers like Crinacle states clearly he does not believe burn-in effect is audible.

I posted measured burn-in effect from one of my old blog friend, as one of the guy who do hear changes.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/geek-wold-discussion-gk10.958787/post-16482707

I simply recommend just burn 5hours of each unit before you ship, the blurry bass could be solved by 5 hour initial run, vent hole issue is another thing though.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #790 of 1,620
Aug 9, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #791 of 1,620
Aug 9, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #792 of 1,620
Aug 9, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #793 of 1,620
My Geek arrived over the weekend. What cable are you guys using on it?

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #794 of 1,620
ok, thanks!
With CP360 it’s close to KBEAR lark’s bass floor
C4F6173C-123C-4FC3-8DF2-BF0AC5EADC8F.png

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #795 of 1,620
My Geek arrived over the weekend. What cable are you guys using on it?
I like PW Audio Copper 28 V2 for in need of bass, and KBEAR Limpid Pro for in need of further brighter AKG sky for strings instruments. But for the most of time stock cables works just fine.

I use with CP360 to have bass floor tamed to Ety level or Lark level, but that doesn’t mean the bass is thin, even at that lowest neutral line something unique about GK10 is that it does give the thump, meaty bass when prompted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back