Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #12,346 of 13,800
This update is vaguely interesting. I wonder if any of these upgrades will be made standard in production units? Probably so, because it makes no sense to develop these upgrades and source the parts for only a short production run.

As for the production and shipping information... nothing new here. How many times have they posted that the final batch is entering production and all backers will be shipped soon? I have lost count. It has been 16 MONTHS since I received my much delayed Pulse X∞, I am absolutely dumbfounded that the last 80, 100, 200, however many, have not long been in the backer's hands. I can only read this kind of delay as gross mismanagement. I hope that LH Labs lasts long enough to ship all crowdfunded products. In truth, I hope that they last at long enough to support all of these products through their warranty period, as LH Labs product reliability seems to be sub-par.

J.P.

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #12,348 of 13,800

Definitely not.

Don't forget they were stating only 87 Pulse units left to ship as long ago as summer 2016.

"We have been combing through the data, and our originally estimated numbers of remained wrong, the actually number is 197. " from the 1/13/17 update, seems strange that after 2 months they still don't know how long it will take.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #12,349 of 13,800
  "We have been combing through the data, and our originally estimated numbers of remained wrong, the actually number is 197. " from the 1/13/17 update, seems strange that after 2 months they still don't know how long it will take.

Yes beyond strange, I feel very badly for those still waiting for the Pulse, I received mine in mid-April 2015, nearly 2 years ago.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #12,351 of 13,800
November 2013 backer here.....still waiting. :frowning2:

No excuse 4 that - just plain f'd up!
Then crazy people like me got caught up in all the other offerings ... just a Wave, Source, Vi, IEMs, and over priced USB cable. Just. LOL. I narrowly escaped the power supply and definately knew better when the Amp came around. Nothing like spending money on a passion and then having to spend money again to actually enjoy the passion (by purchasing from reputable manufacturers of quality audio components).

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #12,352 of 13,800
This update is vaguely interesting. I wonder if any of these upgrades will be made standard in production units? Probably so...

I had to laugh when I read that... The thought has never crossed my mind that there will be a "regular production" run of anything coming out of LH Labs. Those guys are **** up and only running on fumes now. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #12,353 of 13,800
I never understood why they went from selling generally low cost/high quality products that were a few hundred $'s at most, to almost overnight selling 4 and 5 digit priced DAC's, and abandoning their lower cost customer base. I understand expanding into higher priced models, but they basically dumped their market base for high end, high dollar equipment.
Sure, they found an audience of people willing to pay a relatively low price for a DAC that bloats into multiple versions to meet the crowds never ending wish lists and selling them for the cost of materials at best, if not a loss. Then the few products that actually transitioned to a production product, the costs were stratospheric and do not sell well. Even worse, the majority of these crowd sourced products suffered from so much feature bloat that they still have not been produced, and will be overpriced and a generation or two old as far as their specs, hardware, and feature set if they ever do get made.
Worse yet, one of the two company leaders posts an article on their website that not only defends this method of product development, he also raves about how he prefers this method and that crowd sourcing assures that customers get the product they want. Sure, the ones who paid a relatively small price for a product that will end up costing 3x more when or if it moves to retail production may have been happy, but even they have grown tired of the long wait for products that suffer from terminal feature additions that drag out development into a multi-year slog with the company content to keep burning through their free cash loan that has become a make-work program for their engineering team.
This was a good idea that failed to put boundaries on what can realistically be added to the features list while still developing a product than can be produced in a one year development cycle, and can move into production without nosebleed level prices and outdated tech. As it stands, they seem to have killed a company that has practically no products to sell at this point, and customers who are so pissed that they are on the verge of taking legal action. It is like a formula for driving a company into oblivion.

Actually LH started out with selling the 5 digit Da Vinci DAC, not the other way around, but in context, I believe you are referring to the progression of selling the original Geek Out to the Vi Tube DAC.   I believe it was the crowd, us, that clamored for the better performing, more expensive, units.  We were basing our enthusiasm on the reviews and reputation earned from the Da Vinci DAC and what we heard, SQ wise, from the original Geek Out. 

Unfortunately, growing from a small to a large production output company was a lot harder than they imagined.  One could definitely say they were also enthusiastic about the growth potential but bit off more than they could chew.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #12,354 of 13,800
November 2013 backer here.....still waiting.
frown.gif

First campaign day backer here and still waiting.
Backed Pulse 29 October 2013.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #12,355 of 13,800

If 10 people asked them that question they would get 10 different answers and then 5 different excuses on why they made the "mistake".

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #12,356 of 13,800
I had to laugh when I read that... The thought has never crossed my mind that there will be a "regular production" run of anything coming out of LH Labs. Those guys are **** up and only running on fumes now. 

Agreed that "regular production" is a huge question, since they have yet to build enough to satisfy their crowdfunding backers from over three years ago even though the Pulse has been "shipping" for almost a year and a half. In the past year they appear to have shipped maybe a dozen Pulse Infinities.

One question that I have is just how many have actually been sold through Amazon. Somehow I suspect that they have sold more than the ?10 that they claim to have shipped to Amazon and requested return to help satisfy their crowdfunding backers. I am beginning to question the truth in any LH Labs statement almost as much as any statement from the current Emperor of the United States. LH Labs credibility is in the toilet and I don't see it improving any time soon - if ever.

J.P.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #12,357 of 13,800
The problems of LHLabs are:

• Tesla
  • Too much different products to deliver, with a lot of options, etc...
  • Unrealistic delivery dates...
  • Don't really care about their clients, from these campaigns, because we are always at the end of the chain for them...

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #12,358 of 13,800
I recently sold my Pulse x Infinity.  It was really good as a DAC, but I just can't really enjoy my music knowing that I have no where to go if it ever dies.

Got a CXN network player instead, jury is still out, but the CXN seems to be funner, but I would still say the Pulse is technically superior.  More balanced, better imaging, better staging.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #12,359 of 13,800
Does anyone remember what's the pulse infinity line out voltage for single ended? Thx

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #12,360 of 13,800
Line out RCA: 2Vrms max variable
Line out XLR: 4Vrms Max variable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back