Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 1, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #12,331 of 13,800
The quick answer:
NO. Go buy other stuff and be happy.

Longer answer:
Buy a $500 DAC (DENAFRIPS Ares, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, etc.) and a $500 amp (MANY amps here, solid state or tube) and be a MUCH HAPPIER person. Leave LH Labs and all their schiit to use poor souls to deal with. And if the time comes that you want to move or upgrade, at least you'll be able to resell your equipment and not take such a hit on the journey to the next stage, unlike all of us. The X Infinity has a nice DAC section, but without the LPS4, I wouldn't bother at all. And 3 years later, there are MUCH better DACs around for $500 (DENAFRIPS Ares, Schiit Bifrost Multibit) that easily compete with or beat the X Infinity. The amp in the Infinity is just a packaged bundle, I've been wanting to buy a dedicated amp and bypass mine ever since I got it. 

Move on, and prosper. 

Very well said my friend

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #12,332 of 13,800
I hate to say it, but I agree with the above​ opinion. I have a Pulse X∞ 2.0 and love it. It sounds great and I have no desire to sell it. However... Given the opportunity to buy one today for $1000 or even my campaign cost which was a little less, I would pass. I am sure that there are other similarly excellent DACs selling for this or significantly less. Lately, I have been reading about the Schiit Jotunheim and would probably buy that as my headphone amp. There are also a number of amps , including good tube amps, in a similar price class. Likewise, I am tempted to check out the Schiit multibit DACs. I don't know if they are better or worse than the Pulse, but they are readily available, most are cheaper, and all are resellable for a small loss. Who knows what you could get for your used LH Labs products next week. That, and I am still not entirely comfortable with the possible reliability of the Pulse. While mine has been entirely trouble free (only one driver issue experienced) the number of reports of failures, slow repairs and repeated failures are unsettling.

J.P.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #12,334 of 13,800
Ironically, I'm about to put my X-Infinity and LPS (240v) up for sale, though I think I'm being realistic with the price @ £500. I'm flabbergasted there are still people who are yet to receive their Pulse...let alone all the other LH gear many people are in for. Terrible situation, created by either a highly incompetent, extremely greedy, or plain crooked company (or all three!)

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #12,335 of 13,800
Ironically, I'm about to put my X-Infinity and LPS (240v) up for sale, though I think I'm being realistic with the price @ £500. I'm flabbergasted there are still people who are yet to receive their Pulse...let alone all the other LH gear many people are in for. Terrible situation, created by either a highly incompetent, extremely greedy, or plain crooked company (or all three!)
I'm not making excuses,but maybe it got to deep for them. I see he's still working.Extra slow process...

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #12,336 of 13,800
I've always ran my infinity via XLR to my studio monitors, but I wanted to compare with my Mojo so I tested it on SE, and for some reason holds a much more defined image. Is my balanced out defective? That shouldn't be the case if the balanced has to be converted to single ended right?

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #12,338 of 13,800
Good news at long last - this to all remaining Infinity backers, including a couple of upgrades.

Dear Pulse Backers,
Two good updates here. And we are very happy to share that with you.
(1) The remaining Infinity version of Pulse DAC PCB Assembly is almost done. Sorry that it is 2 weeks late than our original schedule. But we are seeing it coming soon. And we will start the full speed test
(2) All chassis and other components are the double check in house. So after PCBA, we will assemble the chassis and rest of the stuff. 
(3) We really appreciate your patience. So all the new ship out units will include the latest ZERO acoustic noise capacitors on headphone analog output stage. Also we include the enhance precision MELF resistors in analog path too which definitely will make your Infinity better. 
(4) We continue the best effort to make your Pulse DAC sound even better. After we complete the firmware update for Vi DAC. We expect to have the newer version of firmware on May. Which include the new algorithm for digital filter/modes (we call it version 2.0)
Final words, if you haven't updated your shipping address. Please do so in next two weeks and till now we still have around 1% of "wrong shipping address" especially on international ship outs. We truly hope we could let the long waiting backers get the units without any unnecessary delays.
We commit to continue support all Pulse DAC units to make it sound at its best! 
Thank you

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #12,339 of 13,800
I stumbled on this story from 2014. The conclusions made seem laughingly tragic at this point. I'm sure the author regrets writing this now, especially since he invested in a Geek Pulse himself, based on his own conclusions.
http://thehighfidelityreport.com/death-of-a-salesman-lh-geek-out-campaigns/

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #12,340 of 13,800
I stumbled on this story from 2014. The conclusions made seem laughingly tragic at this point. I'm sure the author regrets writing this now, especially since he invested in a Geek Pulse himself, based on his own conclusions.

Staggeringly unfulfilled prediction. The sad thing is that it could have all been true if LH didn't poop in the punch bowl the way they did...repeatedly...

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #12,341 of 13,800
RMA Product In Technician's Queue since 61 days 15 hours, PLUS the month that it took to get in the tech's queue. Not to mention this is the second time being repaired because they sent the unit back to me broken. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #12,342 of 13,800

Staggeringly unfulfilled prediction. The sad thing is that it could have all been true if LH didn't poop in the punch bowl the way they did...repeatedly...

I have to agree oneguy, LH were destined for greatness and Larry Ho & Gavin Pish turned a fairytale into a nightmare, I hope they rise from their ashes for the sake of fellow backers.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #12,343 of 13,800
I have to agree oneguy, LH were destined for greatness and Larry Ho & Gavin Pish turned a fairytale into a nightmare, I hope they rise from their ashes for the sake of fellow backers.

I never understood why they went from selling generally low cost/high quality products that were a few hundred $'s at most, to almost overnight selling 4 and 5 digit priced DAC's, and abandoning their lower cost customer base. I understand expanding into higher priced models, but they basically dumped their market base for high end, high dollar equipment.
Sure, they found an audience of people willing to pay a relatively low price for a DAC that bloats into multiple versions to meet the crowds never ending wish lists and selling them for the cost of materials at best, if not a loss. Then the few products that actually transitioned to a production product, the costs were stratospheric and do not sell well. Even worse, the majority of these crowd sourced products suffered from so much feature bloat that they still have not been produced, and will be overpriced and a generation or two old as far as their specs, hardware, and feature set if they ever do get made.
Worse yet, one of the two company leaders posts an article on their website that not only defends this method of product development, he also raves about how he prefers this method and that crowd sourcing assures that customers get the product they want. Sure, the ones who paid a relatively small price for a product that will end up costing 3x more when or if it moves to retail production may have been happy, but even they have grown tired of the long wait for products that suffer from terminal feature additions that drag out development into a multi-year slog with the company content to keep burning through their free cash loan that has become a make-work program for their engineering team.
This was a good idea that failed to put boundaries on what can realistically be added to the features list while still developing a product than can be produced in a one year development cycle, and can move into production without nosebleed level prices and outdated tech. As it stands, they seem to have killed a company that has practically no products to sell at this point, and customers who are so pissed that they are on the verge of taking legal action. It is like a formula for driving a company into oblivion.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #12,344 of 13,800
  Good news at long last - this to all remaining Infinity backers, including a couple of upgrades.

Dear Pulse Backers,
Two good updates here. And we are very happy to share that with you.
(1) The remaining Infinity version of Pulse DAC PCB Assembly is almost done. Sorry that it is 2 weeks late than our original schedule. But we are seeing it coming soon. And we will start the full speed test
(2) All chassis and other components are the double check in house. So after PCBA, we will assemble the chassis and rest of the stuff. 
(3) We really appreciate your patience. So all the new ship out units will include the latest ZERO acoustic noise capacitors on headphone analog output stage. Also we include the enhance precision MELF resistors in analog path too which definitely will make your Infinity better. 
(4) We continue the best effort to make your Pulse DAC sound even better. After we complete the firmware update for Vi DAC. We expect to have the newer version of firmware on May. Which include the new algorithm for digital filter/modes (we call it version 2.0)
Final words, if you haven't updated your shipping address. Please do so in next two weeks and till now we still have around 1% of "wrong shipping address" especially on international ship outs. We truly hope we could let the long waiting backers get the units without any unnecessary delays.
We commit to continue support all Pulse DAC units to make it sound at its best! 
Thank you

Last update said there was 200 units to go, so does this answer the question of "when will my unit ship"?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back