Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Nov 3, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #11,927 of 13,800
OK ... got the Pulse X V2.0 firmware from this very forum. Thanks Leon! Surely, compared to dreadful LHLabs (direct) one, quite more efficient support going on here.

*** Forgot to mention. If any users of this DAC are interchanging the firmware files between themselves (on this forum or elsewhere), I would strongly recommend md5sum so that checksum is validated on the receiving end. Just precausion so that one is assured that file arrived intact and/or unmodified as crucially you don't want to mess up with corrupted firmware files! Extension .bin may have problem with some upload sites, so, zip variant is usually safer bet.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #11,931 of 13,800

I just got the new firmware via email. 11 days for them to respond. The file is the same one that you mention.

GEEK_PULSE_2V0_GPX_FI_D1.bin

I have an Infinity V1. I think it was called a Pulse X Infinity.

It would seem that, although perhaps not universally interchangeable, one firmware version is applicable to more than just a single model.

It depends on the model. The Infinity is much closer in spec to the XFi than the X.

If you have not already, double-check with them that that file is truly Infinity compatible.

I gave them the specifics of my unit... mode, l serial number... actually I sent ALL of the numbers on the label. The file name that  posted is what they sent me...
Will run checksum on it.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #11,932 of 13,800
Could I ask if anyone has the Geek Pulse Blue and if they tried it with any other DAC other than a LH Labs product.  I recently tried it with an Exogal Comet Plus.  I could get the Analog connections to work but not the digital out into the Comet.  Exogal thought it was possible LH Labs tweaked the bluetooth so it was optimized for their equipment.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #11,933 of 13,800
  Could I ask if anyone has the Geek Pulse Blue and if they tried it with any other DAC other than a LH Labs product.  I recently tried it with an Exogal Comet Plus.  I could get the Analog connections to work but not the digital out into the Comet.  Exogal thought it was possible LH Labs tweaked the bluetooth so it was optimized for their equipment.

It should be just 75 ohm SPDIF digital out and analog stereo out.  Digital works to a Pulse X Infinity but I haven't tried the analog outs.

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #11,934 of 13,800

If I remember correctly, the Pulse Blue out puts Digital Coax 192/24. If a external DAC maxes Digital Coax in put at 96/24 it cant play digital from Pulse Blue.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #11,937 of 13,800
Unfortunately it was not compatible with the Comet. I worked with the CEO of Exogal and could get it to recognize the digital output from the Pulse Blue.

Does it work with other DACs you have?  If no, put in a ticket.

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #11,938 of 13,800
After spending a weekend with the Geek Pulse X-Fi,

I am pretty impressed. In terms of sheer value it is hard to beat.

I think most people under estimate how hard it is to build a good piece of hardware, I also think this is where LH Labs fell short, it tried to do too much. If the unit was only simpler.

Other then the bugginess of the whole unit, the DAC part of the unit is wonderful implementation of the Sabre chip, having own other Sabre chips, I know people find some parts of it harsh. but LH Labs tuned all the harshness out, but it did cost them detail in the process. There is still plenty of detail but you lose maybe like 10% compared to other Sabre chips.

The understate aspect of this unit is the amp section. The amp sounded exactly the same as my pathos aurium with telefunken 60s ULM 6922 which is like a 2 grand set up.

In the end the amp and dac pairs very well together, and it is one of the biggest deals currently in the audio world. It was a pleasure to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back