Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 31, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #11,701 of 13,800

Looks like no mu metal on my Xfi. Initial order on 31 Oct 2013.
Not sure if there is any noticeable difference in sound quality, but, still, What ?!

Could try reaching out to Larry to see if he might ship you one. Probably easier that shipping your unit all the way back. Cheers

Sep 1, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #11,704 of 13,800

DoP only upto DSD128
Native upto DSD256.

Have chassis v1. Geek Pulse displays the last bit rate when playing DSD256 in native mode using the 2V0 firmware.

But no complaints here. The SQ is just so good to. my ears.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #11,705 of 13,800
I doubt we will see any missing my-metal shields. I would prefer a copper or brass. Then real grounding, soldered to backplane.
With the stamped steel chassis the clock circuitry should be magnetically shielded. RFI may be high inside.

Panelhead you definitely need to reach out to these guys and get what is rightfully yours.  The original spdif out goal was switched to this shield and we should hold them to this.  

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #11,706 of 13,800
True. My main point is that it should be there. Part of me thinks that i should hold them to their promises (although shipping back and forth is a hassle. Most of me says f#ckall, get a new DAC from a reliable and honest manufacturer.

Chrome Robot, you should contact these guys and get this thing done properly.  I can't sell these things because nobody will buy them so I'm not going to let them go until they fix them to spec.  That is unless they close up shop and disappear which is a real risk of crowdfunding.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #11,708 of 13,800
I am not sure how to proceed here. Opening the chassis voids warrenty. Do you think they will ship shields out to owners of Infinity 2.0 that did not have the mu-metal box installed?

Larry said he would do it.  I've already made it pretty damn clear I don't care about the BS claim about warranty/opening the case.  It's just a few damn screws.  I honestly had a bad feeling about these guys and unfortunately I was right.  I really don't give a damn about the excuses either since I find it pretty difficult to understand how this can be missed.  All the units should have it because they're still not done shipping to backers.

Suggestions from backers to pay some bloody attention to QC has fallen on deaf ears.  If people at LH cared about QC, they'd be able to find problems/faults with these things pretty easily.  These aren't niche/corner case problems but straight up faults/problems under normal usage.  

LH Labs, if anyone there reads this, try getting your house in order for once and try testing and producing something that works.  From my experience, everything you guys cough up is faulty.  That includes cables etcetc.  

A DAC should be stone cold solid.  Period.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #11,710 of 13,800
An LH rep replied my ticket a few days ago regarding my Pulse won't adjust the volume, and I told him the issue seemed to be fixed after power-cycles because my computer suddenly won't recognize the Pulse and the Mu-shield in my Pulse is missing. He seems to be helpful and said we will receive the shield, even though he wasn't clear how to do that. My best and most reasonable guess would be that LH send the shield to us and we open the Pulse, take down the PCB and clip on the shield ourselves. Still waiting for his further instructions. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #11,711 of 13,800
  An LH rep replied my ticket a few days ago regarding my Pulse won't adjust the volume, and I told him the issue seemed to be fixed after power-cycles because my computer suddenly won't recognize the Pulse and the Mu-shield in my Pulse is missing. He seems to be helpful and said we will receive the shield, even though he wasn't clear how to do that. My best and most reasonable guess would be that LH send the shield to us and we open the Pulse, take down the PCB and clip on the shield ourselves. Still waiting for his further instructions. 

Thank you! Let us know the process.
  BTW, mine did that once. Before I updated the firmware. I would show the volume was changing but it was not. Cycled power to computer and dac a couple of times to reset. Only did this one time.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #11,712 of 13,800
So, I got a very fast reply to my ticket, asking about the missing shield and my random pops and clicks. Not a mention about having it, but I got the firmware to update, plus a not that I might have lost warranty...

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #11,714 of 13,800
So, I got a very fast reply to my ticket, asking about the missing shield and my random pops and clicks. Not a mention about having it, but I got the firmware to update, plus a not that I might have lost warranty...

Is that the firmware for the matrix display or for the Infinity?  If the latter, which of these did you get?

1.  GEEK_PULSE_2V0_GPX_INF.bin
2.  GEEK_PULSE_2V0_GPX_INF_D1.bin

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #11,715 of 13,800
Is this firmware only available for the Pulse Infinity? Would love my XFI to sing the same way :)

For now, Geek Pulse Infinity... And it's still not official.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back