Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Aug 30, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #11,671 of 13,800
I have the mu-metal shield installed in the Pulse Infinity (Original Chassis). Support ticket regarding firmware update was answered after 17 days. USB Control Panel 2V0 appears to solve the need for multiple reboots for audio playback.

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #11,673 of 13,800
I hate to bring this up, for clock shielding I would think a Faraday shield would be much more effective than a mu-metal.
Cannot see these Femto crystals emitting significant magnetic fields. The may stream RF.

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #11,674 of 13,800
I hate to bring this up, for clock shielding I would think a Faraday shield would be much more effective than a mu-metal.
Cannot see these Femto crystals emitting significant magnetic fields. The may stream RF.

I think it might be shielding the clocks from external magnetic fields, also I believe that it is soldered in place and this is probably to a ground plane so that it also acts as a Faraday cage. Obviously the shield in the video hadn't yet been secured.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #11,675 of 13,800
Correct on all points Nigel. When properly installed, the Mu Metal shield is (supposed to be) soldered down which bonds it to the ground plane and creates a Faraday cage. This shield helps to isolate the clocks from EMI/RFI generated within the DAC, as well as shield the DAC from any EMI radiation from the clock circuits.

Now I feel the need to check my Pulse X infinity V.2 for the presence of the shield. If absent, I hesitate to do anything about it, as my infinity sounds wonderful as is and is working quite reliably. Heck... I even hesitate to consider any firmware upgrades for fear of upsetting the balance and joining the ranks of misbehaving Pulse DACs.

J.P.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #11,676 of 13,800
Oh oh, shield missing here too!

btw, reassembling the unit was quite a job. Beside I had the wrong screwdriver (and now you can see someone worked on screws! :frowning2: ), the top panel won't fit easily, I had to slide it in and press to get the side screws fit.
Hope this unit will work for long time... can't imagine how long (and expensive) it would get to have it back :blink:

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #11,677 of 13,800
Ok found this on IGG:

=======================================================

Adrian Leung1 month ago

To all of those that actually have a pulse, it’d be interesting to know whether you guys have a mu-metal shield as promised. For those that don’t have the thing yet, might wanna consider it as $ spent to buy a lesson and move on.

ctdbfbwuykferx3xhgaq.jpg

Larry Ho
Campaigner​
1 month ago

Hi, Adrian We put Mu metal on all 2013 backers DAC and Infinity backers. We know your units missed these mu metal shield due to our production process error in the very beginning, please contact us and we will add it for you.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #11,680 of 13,800
How can they stick a QC passed sticker without checking such an obvious thing on the infinity (pretty much their top offering in the campaign) ... Crazy ...

I do think it sounds good if a little bit cold for the early bird price ... I am going to spring for a schiit multibit one day ...

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #11,681 of 13,800
I think it might be shielding the clocks from external magnetic fields, also I believe that it is soldered in place and this is probably to a ground plane so that it also acts as a Faraday cage. Obviously the shield in the video hadn't yet been secured.

At least in the vanilla Pulse, the shield is just clipped on the PCB, and I don't remember seeing metal traces that can touch and ground the shield.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #11,682 of 13,800
At least in the vanilla Pulse, the shield is just clipped on the PCB, and I don't remember seeing metal traces that can touch and ground the shield.

+1

Larry said it himself that the shield just clips onto the PCB.  There's no electrical grounding happening.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #11,683 of 13,800
How can they stick a QC passed sticker without checking such an obvious thing on the infinity (pretty much their top offering in the campaign) ... Crazy ...

I do think it sounds good if a little bit cold for the early bird price ... I am going to spring for a schiit multibit one day ...

+1  I was wondering EXACTLY the same thing myself.  How can these things pass QC.  

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #11,684 of 13,800
Oh oh, shield missing here too!

btw, reassembling the unit was quite a job. Beside I had the wrong screwdriver (and now you can see someone worked on screws!
frown.gif
), the top panel won't fit easily, I had to slide it in and press to get the side screws fit.
Hope this unit will work for long time... can't imagine how long (and expensive) it would get to have it back
blink.gif

Hmm...using a simple Philips screwdriver was all it took for me to take it apart/reassemble.  I believe you can loosen the side screws so that it takes the pressure off the plexiglass top so it comes off easily.  The metal cover is basically held in place by the screws on the back of the unit.  Not a single scratch to the screws themselves when I took it apart. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #11,685 of 13,800
  Ok found this on IGG:

=======================================================

Adrian Leung1 month ago

To all of those that actually have a pulse, it’d be interesting to know whether you guys have a mu-metal shield as promised. For those that don’t have the thing yet, might wanna consider it as $ spent to buy a lesson and move on.

ctdbfbwuykferx3xhgaq.jpg

Larry Ho
Campaigner​
1 month ago

Hi, Adrian We put Mu metal on all 2013 backers DAC and Infinity backers. We know your units missed these mu metal shield due to our production process error in the very beginning, please contact us and we will add it for you.

Mickey,

Thanks for re-posting this for me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back