Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jun 10, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #11,401 of 13,800

I meant that the Intona does both galvanic isolation and reclocking at the same time, and there is no way to enable/disable one of those two functions.  So I am not able to pinpoint whether it is the isolation or the reclocking that gave rise to the pleasant effects I am experiencing.  Thus, I am unable to comment which is the more important feature.

I hope this clarifies.

From my experience, once you have established the connection, there will be no dropouts.  I am using the XFi and a short 30 cm cable after the Intona, if that helps.

Awesome, thank you. What is your version, standard or industry? Also, I am guessing your Intona is closer to the DAC. 

Where did you get such a small cable? I looked at the entire monoprice website but all they have is 1.5 feet.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #11,402 of 13,800

The only thing the Pulse, in any configuration, uses the power leg for is the handshake (to let the source of data being sent know it's present and available to receive data).  The Pulse does not use the USB +5V to power itself so the drop from 0.5V to 0.3V should not have an effect on it functioning properly.

Awesome, I am getting closer to Intona :D I just need one more push away from Regen and Revive hehe

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #11,403 of 13,800
  Awesome, I am getting closer to Intona :D I just need one more push away from Regen and Revive hehe

Do not pass on the REGEN or the Revive.  They are very good at what they do, especially for the price.  I have not had the Intona to try so I cannot comment on how it compares to the REGEN or Revive but I am very pleased with the improvement from both the REGEN and the Revive as I have both.

I do not think you would be disappointed with ANY of them.

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #11,404 of 13,800

Do not pass on the REGEN or the Revive.  They are very good at what they do, especially for the price.  I have not had the Intona to try so I cannot comment on how it compares to the REGEN or Revive but I am very pleased with the improvement from both the REGEN and the Revive as I have both.

I do not think you would be disappointed with ANY of them.

+1, and I would add both the iFi iUSB3.0, and the W4S Recovery to that list.

Those are the two I have, and each does it's job as advertised, improving the sound with every DAC and source I have excepting the Sonore microRendu, which seems better by itself due to it having the REGEN technology built-in, though I haven't yet tried it with every available DAC/cable combination on hand as yet.

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #11,405 of 13,800

The only thing the Pulse, in any configuration, uses the power leg for is the handshake (to let the source of data being sent know it's present and available to receive data).  The Pulse does not use the USB +5V to power itself so the drop from 0.5V to 0.3V should not have an effect on it functioning properly.

Theoretically, that is the case.

But I cannot get the PC to detect the Pulse when using a longer cable due to the weaker current.  The Pulse is only detected with a shorter cable.  So I assume it is due to the drop in current.  But once detected, there is stable connection throughout the entire use.

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #11,406 of 13,800

Awesome, thank you. What is your version, standard or industry? Also, I am guessing your Intona is closer to the DAC. 

Where did you get such a small cable? I looked at the entire monoprice website but all they have is 1.5 feet.

Mine is the standard version, and the Intona is closer to the DAC.

I found the cable at a local computer store in Singapore.  I am sure Curious makes short one, but I do not have their cables due to the shallow pockets of mine.  (A friend is making a short one for me right now.)

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #11,407 of 13,800

My Xfi doesn't have an issue with the drop in current.  I use a lightspeed 2G into the intona with the power leg drawing from an LPS4 (and a 1G going from the RPi to the LPS4 for the handshake), haven't tried any other configurations because it works so well.

Sorry to ask, but what is an RPi? I don't have 2G cable or the LPS. I am going to be extremely lucky if this Intona will work for me.

A Raspberry Pi.

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #11,408 of 13,800

I meant that the Intona does both galvanic isolation and reclocking at the same time, and there is no way to enable/disable one of those two functions.  So I am not able to pinpoint whether it is the isolation or the reclocking that gave rise to the pleasant effects I am experiencing.  Thus, I am unable to comment which is the more important feature.

I hope this clarifies.

From my experience, once you have established the connection, there will be no dropouts.  I am using the XFi and a short 30 cm cable after the Intona, if that helps.

Try Aliexpress, 

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #11,409 of 13,800
You may already know this but if not have you tried turning the volume knob? I don't say this to be a dick. My Pulse is muted on start up and requires me to change the displayed volume and then it's good to go. No minimum turn necessary as long as the volume changes atleast 0.5 dB

A lot of times when I turn on my Pulse I don't have sound. Windows sees the Pulse in sound settings but no sound is playing. I have to turn off and on the Pulse several times and/or change samplerate in order to make it work properly. Does anybody know why?

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #11,410 of 13,800
I backed a Pulse in Nov 2014. Given new ship dates over and over again, and is starting to worry. LHlabs can certainly just run away with our money.

I've created a simple survey to help us understand how widespread the problem is. Please kindly input your order dates, or if you have received it, your ship dates.

Survey on Pulse Ship Dates
 ​

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #11,412 of 13,800
  Lord Raven,

A link to a review of the Uptone Regen, www.audiostream.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen#LtWUaVlYt2oFJ6Pv.97

Great review, a lot of technical terms, I have to read it again sometime but the conclusion is, Regen improves the sound and it does not change character or anything. But what about Regen and Intona both in line to your DAC, is there a review on this combo? Thanks/LR

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #11,413 of 13,800

Great review, a lot of technical terms, I have to read it again sometime but the conclusion is, Regen improves the sound and it does not change character or anything. But what about Regen and Intona both in line to your DAC, is there a review on this combo? Thanks/LR

​I have never seen a review that combines the effect of LightSpeed Revive, Uptone Regen, and Intonia USB Hi-Speed Isolator. This is a experiment for Dr. Frankenstein's Sound Lab.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #11,414 of 13,800

I have the Regen and Intona.  I lose details if both are in the chain although some who have both decided to keep them.  I like mine open, transparent, has defined sound stage, and with clear instrument separation since I my setup is through desktop speakers (Adam A5X).  As such, I only kept the Intona.  My chain uses the SOtM PCIe USB out from the PC so that could have account for the difference.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #11,415 of 13,800
  I have the Regen and Intona.  I lose details if both are in the chain although some who have both decided to keep them.  I like mine open, transparent, has defined sound stage, and with clear instrument separation since I my setup is through desktop speakers (Adam A5X).  As such, I only kept the Intona.  My chain uses the SOtM PCIe USB out from the PC so that could have account for the difference.

So you preferred Intona over Regen? Top Quark :D 

Standard or Industrial? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back