Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jun 8, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #11,371 of 13,800
Waiting for some neutral (users whom I believe to be neutral) reviews.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #11,372 of 13,800
I may not be whom you are looking but I like my Infinity and Blue even if I don't like LH Labs. The LPS4 has been somewhat troublesome. Finally, the Geek Out 720 and v2 have been pretty good although my v2 was dead on arrival and had to be RMAed thr first time I received it.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #11,373 of 13,800
I may not be whom you are looking but I like my Infinity and Blue even if I don't like LH Labs. The LPS4 has been somewhat troublesome. Finally, the Geek Out 720 and v2 have been pretty good although my v2 was dead on arrival and had to be RMAed thr first time I received it.

I didn't mean LH Labs. I  meant the Revive.

I had 1 x Vanilla Pulse, 3 x XFi, 3 x Infinity, 1 x Geek Out, 1 x Geek Out v2 Signature, 2 x LPS4, 5 x Lightspeed 2G, 2 x Lightspeed 10G (1 split, 1 normal), 3 x Lightspeed 1G. 

I still have coming 1 x Source, 1 x Station X, 2 x Wave XD, 1 x Dual Dac Wave, IEM-X, Geek HPA. 

So I have a fair bit of experience with their stuff. 

I've bought enough based on hype alone. I'll buy in future based on merit. I am fully aware LH Labs do make great sounding products despite the furore over the long time it takes for the crowd funded stuff to arrive. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #11,374 of 13,800
  Guys, what should I use with my SFi, do you guys recommend Uptone Regen, or something else? Is it really necessary? I heard about Intona, is it absolutely necessary to add 300 dollar equipment before your DAC?

I've used the Uptone REGEN and the LH Labs Revive.  Both offer improvement with better detail and resolution and more pinpoint localization of sound source (better soundstaging).

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #11,375 of 13,800

I've used the Uptone REGEN and the LH Labs Revive.  Both offer improvement with better detail and resolution and more pinpoint localization of sound source (better soundstaging).

Awesome, I am going to get it soon. What about people using two Regen units? Is that an overkill? And the Intona USB Isolator? Looks like computer audiophilia is very hard :D 

PS Then there are curious cables..

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #11,376 of 13,800
  Awesome, I am going to get it soon. What about people using two Regen units? Is that an overkill? And the Intona USB Isolator? Looks like computer audiophilia is very hard :D 

PS Then there are curious cables..

I have the basic Intona.  It did wonders for detail and imaging between a raspberry pi and my infinity.  Made up for all sins of the $35 streamer.  Haven't tried anything else, I went straight to the intona based on reviews and comparisons elsewhere.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #11,377 of 13,800

I have the basic Intona.  It did wonders for detail and imaging between a raspberry pi and my infinity.  Made up for all sins of the $35 streamer.  Haven't tried anything else, I went straight to the intona based on reviews and comparisons elsewhere.

The Intona is 300$ :D You actually bought Streamer? :)

I think I should start with Regen and work my way up to the top.. Thanks/LR

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #11,380 of 13,800

The intona also is a digital isolator whereas the regen just reclocks and cleans up the power.  You can see in the intona that the chips that provide the isolation are the only pieces that bridge the gap between the two parts of the PCB.

Intona does not re-clocks and cleans the power? That unit looks like made out of cheap plastic :D

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #11,382 of 13,800
I was about to get a regen but some people in Australia who owned regen had a shootout with the wyred4sound recovery and threw in the Intona. They also tried combos. 

In the end they said Intona alone sounded best. I read that another place too so I bought the Intona. Keep in mind this is just forum hearsay. You should try yourself if you have the chance. 

Curious about people's impression of the Revive. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #11,384 of 13,800
I think it was first and foremost a USB signal cleaner. It was only later people used it for audio. 

Their next iteration should seriously consider looks too. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #11,385 of 13,800
Intona does not re-clocks and cleans the power? That unit looks like made out of cheap plastic :D

The Intona achieves galvanic isolation, which is not done by Regen or Revive. Intona does do basic reclocking according to what I have read, but it is hard to say how good is that since one cannot isolate the effects of the reclocking from that of the isolation.

But the Intona does not clean up the power. In fact, it reduces the current from 500mA to 300mA and that may pose as a problem for some DACs that needs power to work or for the handshake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back