Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 18, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #11,147 of 13,800
Mine does that too but I believe it's just the startup process, I can hear the slight clicking sound going on but it just works fine once my source is applied. Doesn't yours work ok after that short delay? I'd be worried if it was not working on any inputs/outputs. Check every input/output if you can and conclude on its working status.

The inputs are working and everything else is fine, but I'm not sure it sounds fine. I think it sounds a bit odd now, but i'm not even sure. I think there's some distortion now. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #11,148 of 13,800
The inputs are working and everything else is fine, but I'm not sure it sounds fine. I think it sounds a bit odd now, but i'm not even sure. I think there's some distortion now. 

Raise a support ticket if you think it's gotten worst, they should be able to diagnose the problem or at least allow you to get it fixed but only if you think the sound quality has truly deteriorated. Good luck with finding a solution and let us know how you did.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #11,150 of 13,800
You've got that clicking sound now? I think it's bricked. If it's passing at all I don't think it's gonna be sounding right.

is it a common thing with it? It used to not do it, but it started after the adapter was accidentally unplugged, replugged while the power switch was on. I think it sounds fine though, looks like everything is working. 

Raise a support ticket if you think it's gotten worst, they should be able to diagnose the problem or at least allow you to get it fixed but only if you think the sound quality has truly deteriorated. Good luck with finding a solution and let us know how you did.

Have you always had that sound? I bought it off ebay so I'm not sure i'm covered by the warranty. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #11,152 of 13,800
  is it a common thing with it? It used to not do it, but it started after the adapter was accidentally unplugged, replugged while the power switch was on. I think it sounds fine though, looks like everything is working. 

I'm just yanking your chain a bit.

I'm surprised no one else has chimed in about the clicking sound, though. 

The sound is 10000% normal and a function of the Pulse. It's the relays for the 2 different sample rate clocks clicking upon start up. There are 2 sample rate groups, 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz and 48/96/192kHz. All of 1 set are derived from 1 clock and all of the other set are derived from 1 other clock. If you guys listened to different resolution music within the same playlist, say a 44.1kHz song and then a 192kHz hi-res song, you'd also hear a click. But a lot of times your software is set to 1 sampling frequency, so it up/down-samples all songs to that one, and thus the click never makes a sound once music starts. So, start up clicks, normal stuff and happens on a lot of gear. 

And just as the other poster said, the warranty is 100% non-transferable. I'm not sure what the warranty work is really like though, so it's worth opening a ticket if you're having issues and seeing what's up. It'd be your call whether you'd mention right from the get go that you're not the original owner or not. I believe in the early days of the Pulse Campaign the warranty was supposed to be transferable, but in the end it's 100% not, and that really annoyed a lot of backers because it sacks the resale value. There are many other things sacking the resale value too, unfortunately. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #11,153 of 13,800
All this talk about adding a USB filter, and buying a better power adapter, use balance cables, or adding another amp doesn't give me much confidence. This was supposed to be the end all, all in one, or that's how it was billed to me.

I've had the XFI for over a month, burning it in without powering off, and was hoping the sound would improve... but it's still underwhelming.

I can't quantify the sound, but to me it doesn't have any life or meaning. With every audio device before this, I would get lost in the music. Like at home, when I play any song, I'm listening for hours. I can't stand this thing for more than 30 minutes. I would literally put my headphone down and do work... at the office. Like real work! I guess the X-FI is great for the company I work for, but not for me.

All this wait, and to me it didn't deliver. If I can return it I would.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #11,154 of 13,800
  All this talk about adding a USB filter, and buying a better power adapter, use balance cables, or adding another amp doesn't give me much confidence. This was supposed to be the end all, all in one, or that's how it was billed to me.

I've had the XFI for over a month, burning it in without powering off, and was hoping the sound would improve... but it's still underwhelming.

I can't quantify the sound, but to me it doesn't have any life or meaning. With every audio device before this, I would get lost in the music. Like at home, when I play any song, I'm listening for hours. I can't stand this thing for more than 30 minutes. I would literally put my headphone down and do work... at the office. Like real work! I guess the X-FI is great for the company I work for, but not for me.

What kind of headphones are you using?

Which Headphone Gain mode?

Which Digital Mode?

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #11,155 of 13,800

What kind of headphones are you using?

Which Headphone Gain mode?

Which Digital Mode?

Dell Xeon Workstation, the USB cable (that came with the XFI) connected to the Geek Pulse XFI, out to the Hifiman HE500 with the stock headphone cable.
I don't want to buy extra things to improve the sound of something that should sound... good. Especially while at the office, I only have so much space. I also don't want to complicate things. I already get enough questions with the "big" headphone.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #11,156 of 13,800
  Dell Xeon Workstation, the USB cable (that came with the XFI) connected to the Geek Pulse XFI, out to the Hifiman HE500 with the stock headphone cable.
I don't want to buy extra things to improve the sound of something that should sound... good. Especially while at the office, I only have so much space. I also don't want to complicate things. I already get enough questions with the "big" headphone.

One answer out of 3, & I wasn't suggesting buying anything.

Those headphones shouldn't need a lot of power to drive them, so Low or Medium gain should be plenty.

Which Digital Mode are you using? I use FTM all the time, but to each their own. Changing the mode may change the sound enough for you to get it where you like it.

The version of the audio driver on your computer, or the port you are connecting your USB cable to could potentially play a role in the sound you are getting. Try connecting the cable to another port & power cycling the Pulse.

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #11,157 of 13,800

One answer out of 3, & I wasn't suggesting buying anything.

Those headphones shouldn't need a lot of power to drive them, so Low or Medium gain should be plenty.

Which Digital Mode are you using? I use FTM all the time, but to each their own. Changing the mode may change the sound enough for you to get it where you like it.

The version of the audio driver on your computer, or the port you are connecting your USB cable to could potentially play a role in the sound you are getting. Try connecting the cable to another port & power cycling the Pulse.

FTM did improve the sound. Thanks for that.
I'll play with it a little more tomorrow.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #11,158 of 13,800

FTM did improve the sound. Thanks for that.
I'll play with it a little more tomorrow.

I'm glad it helped.

The audio player and settings you are using could also have an effect on the sound.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #11,159 of 13,800
It is not just the Pulse that can benefit from one of the many USB cleaners/stabilizers/reclockers that are available. Seemingly every DAC, $100/$1000/$10000+ can be improved by these tweaks. In the world of audio there seems to be nothing that cannot be improved. Don't blame it in the Pulse... which does seem to have a better USB implementation than many or even most in its price class.

As far as sound: you have found out about the FTM and other filters, so that is a good start. Also, I suggest using the high gain mode for the headphone amp - at least I find it to be noticeably better than low or medium gain.

You mentioned leaving the power on and that is a good move too. During this time have you also had an active signal, music or some kind of sound playing, or just sitting idle when you are not listening to it? It is necessary to have an active signal for break in. Just sitting idle with the power on will do very little. It takes several hundred hours of active playback for the Pulse to approach its best. In my case it was at its worst from 1 through 50 hours or so and continued improving up to around 400 hours, after which I could no longer detect any changes. The Pulse has the most profound burn in changes that I have experienced in any piece of audio equipment.

While I have an infinity rather than the Xfi, I am sure that the differences are small and I find the Pulse X Infinity to be an excellent DAC.

J.P.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #11,160 of 13,800
I makes me wonder if you are trolling. The Pulse can't be that bad.

What other audio devices are you comparing it against?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back