Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Apr 14, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #11,116 of 13,800
  Value Question

How much should a Geek Pulse SFi be worth now, considering that it's very limited since it was an Indiegogo device only?

Thanks

I don't know, aren't they all Indiegogo only? The only ones that made it on to Amazon were just pulled from IGG backers XD

About your question, that's a tough one. You can take a look at the Infinity ones that have been constantly for sale this past year, then you're looking at less than that.

I like my unit, it's pretty looking in the V2 chassis and I've got a matching LPS4, which has an extra DC outlet for my Regen. It'll do good in the office and when I pair it with an outboard amp it's a great unit (as I recently tested it this way and scared myself with no music because I stupidly had the preamp volume too low :p). If it ever comes to a time that I'm replacing it, I wouldn't sell it. You'd never get back near what it's worth or what it's sound quality is, so you might as well keep it for a second/third/fourth system or give it to a family member/friend. Unless you unit is buggy, but then you're in a different boat.

Resale is NOT good on the LH products. This was even the case with the first GeekOut units. I got my GO1K for the limited, early backer only, non-retail $225 (or whatever), but then just after receiving it I saw them in the For Sale section for like $185-200. Now things have went down hill since then for LH Labs' rep and resale isn't good at all. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #11,117 of 13,800
Last year I bought a used xfi/Lps v1 together for around 900. I believe now is even cheaper. I am happy with the performance. But I believe LH lab company reputation has taken a big hit affecting resale value.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #11,118 of 13,800
My Pulse SFi has been in the sale forum for weeks, and I am only asking $420 for it, still, not one party interested. I believe the MRSP was $2400...lol. Shame, because it really sounds very good
As previously said LH Lab marketing campaign has been a success...
beyersmile.png

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #11,120 of 13,800
  My Pulse SFi has been in the sale forum for weeks, and I am only asking $420 for it, still, not one party interested. I believe the MRSP was $2400...lol. Shame, because it really sounds very good
As previously said LH Lab marketing campaign has been a success...
beyersmile.png

I have an SFi as well, never thought of selling it cause of the same reason haha

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #11,121 of 13,800
My present Geek Pulse Infinity runs with Android on my smartphone either natively (without special app) upto 24/192 or with Apps w/ built in USB driver like UAPP/Oknyo HF (current using Neutron).

Past months was (and still) looking for a media server/player and found this baby:

HiMedia Q10 Pro

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP068.php
http://www.himediatech.com/q10pro.html

Thoughts??

Was torn in between with this little monster...Its 6x more expensive BUT its a PC. More freedom, compatibility, JRiver, Foobar etc.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m900/

And it has the same width as the Geek Pulse 1.0

Ideas??

You could also try a Raspberry Pi3 or Odroid  with the Archphile distribution. Costs less, is very small and definitely works

.http://archphile.org/ 

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #11,122 of 13,800
And now they are coming up with the Revive USB power. Wow I guess they ddint get the memo....LH please stop making new stuff up and complete your delivery of the multiple products that you promised such as Wave and analog products. Sorry but not contributing anymore...

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #11,123 of 13,800
Or you could look at it as this is there attempt to gain more money to complete the projects that they are running low on funding. You can't keep your people on payroll forever without any new revenue and as far as I can figure they aren't selling the crowdfunding stuff all that well.
So while the Revive, their sound bar/sub and their Tesla audio systems are extra projects hopefully they allow them to keep the doors open longer to fulfill the indiegogo items.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #11,124 of 13,800
My present Geek Pulse Infinity runs with Android on my smartphone either natively (without special app) upto 24/192 or with Apps w/ built in USB driver like UAPP/Oknyo HF (current using Neutron).

Past months was (and still) looking for a media server/player and found this baby:

HiMedia Q10 Pro

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP068.php
http://www.himediatech.com/q10pro.html

Thoughts??

Was torn in between with this little monster...Its 6x more expensive BUT its a PC. More freedom, compatibility, JRiver, Foobar etc.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m900/

And it has the same width as the Geek Pulse 1.0

Ideas??

Never thought about buying the JRiver Id? It's a simple solution for someone who does not want to get into building your own server. A plus is it's quite inexpensive even with their 2 TB option.

Here is how it looks like :

Here is the link for buying it (including specs): http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id#Ordering

As for the Revive, Larry has been working on it for quite some time so not sure all of the edginess with them being able to work on other stuff, granted they tend to stretch themselves thin but like the famous saying: life goes on. As far they are concerned, the business goes on and frankly we should wish them well otherwise how else are we going to get what we paid for and what they promised?

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #11,126 of 13,800
You're free to order or not but this device has already been deployed in the wild, I have one of the first units and to be honest, it works so well that it's now permanently attached to my system so if you're not buying, you're only going to be sorry you did not get it. Mind you you can go for a Regen which is cheaper but the specs are not quite the same so not sure you can compare due to one being battery operated and the other not. I have not tried the Regen so I can't comment on it but what I can tell you, I played my DAC without the Revive and with it and can only say that I wish Larry would have added this circuitry in any devices requiring USB, it makes such a distinctive difference that it's scary and being naturally curious, I opened up the unit to see what the hell in there makes anything connected to it sound so good. I can only conclude that the signal is re-generated and re-clocked by the time it gets to the USB out (you get two by the way so you can connect two DACs if you chose too) it's clean like a wisttle. Kudo Larry, great device to complement the line. My only complain, why the hell have you not added it to the DAC in the first place and save anyone grief and money?

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #11,127 of 13,800
You're free to order or not but this device has already been deployed in the wild, I have one of the first units and to be honest, it works so well that it's now permanently attached to my system so if you're not buying, you're only going to be sorry you did not get it. Mind you you can go for a Regen which is cheaper but the specs are not quite the same so not sure you can compare due to one being battery operated and the other not. I have not tried the Regen so I can't comment on it but what I can tell you, I played my DAC without the Revive and with it and can only say that I wish Larry would have added this circuitry in any devices requiring USB, it makes such a distinctive difference that it's scary and being naturally curious, I opened up the unit to see what the hell in there makes anything connected to it sound so good. I can only conclude that the signal is re-generated and re-clocked by the time it gets to the USB out (you get two by the way so you can connect two DACs if you chose too) it's clean like a wisttle. Kudo Larry, great device to complement the line. My only complain, why the hell have you not added it to the DAC in the first place and save anyone grief and money?

I agree that it definitely makes a difference.  Increased detail, quieter background and better localization of instruments and voice on the stage.  IMHO, it just a bit better than REGEN with the increase in detail and transient response.  The REGEN is great but the Revive just seems a little bit better.  It's also nice that it's portable and can be run on battery when you're away from home.

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #11,129 of 13,800
hey germay I see you got your revive.  coupla questions.. what's the purpose of the second usb output port?  and what's the optimal type of wall wart to charge the battery?  must be 5v 1 amp?  or can it charge faster with say an ipad charger 5v 2.4amp?  and how long does the battery last?  I'm not planning on getting another lps unless I really need to

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #11,130 of 13,800
The Revive has two separate USB output ports configured in a One in - Two Out, therefore you can plug up to two DACS from the same PC USB source.
As far as charging is concerned, mine is plugged to a Diamond USB 3.0 super speed controller (active USB bus) and the power comes out of a wallwart rated 5V, 4A pretty sure it does not consume the full 4A. 
I can easily charge the Revive with an iPad power adapter rated 10W (anything at least equal or better will charge it relatively fast). Not sure how long the battery last since I keep it plugged permanently and not using it in a portable way.

As far the LPS being needed, the USB connection would be a big help, in my case the 5 Volt power from the PC and/or Controller is actually not being used. I instead use a LHLabs LightSpeed 2.0 split cable with the 5 Volt connected to my Toroidal isolation power conditioner which will be replaced by the LPS USB 5 volt output when I eventually get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back