Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Feb 26, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #10,921 of 13,800
Just to clarify the Geek Wave was not to be a DAP originally, remember it was going to be a phone DAC.  And later they changed it to a DAP without giving the people a chance for refund.   Also nobody ever mentioned crowd designing when they started the original campaign - It was later down the road that they started asking backer for opinions.  If I knew that they didnt have a finished concept I would have not contributed.  

It was the Geek Stream originally but pressure by backers led to the Wave since folks wanted a fully blown DAP.

The V2 is the replacement for the Stream so if you got the V2, it wouldn't affect you materially.

The Wave is built upon the guts of the Stream.I got the V2+ Infinity and waiting for the Wave.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #10,922 of 13,800
dsd256 is only working with the beta pulse firmware.  It's not a public beta.  didn't work with my vi dac.  To me it's not that big a deal, I only have one dsd256 test track.  All my dsd real music is dsd1 I think

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #10,923 of 13,800
I don't know anyone who wouldn't like to have gotten the LH Labs stuff ages ago. But, there has been no shortage of histrionics here and the other LH Labs threads. Screaming in anger! Has anyone gotten anything a day earlier because of it?

Bitching does the soul good... regardless.
Blow off some steam, get it out of ones system, go on down the road. Therapeutic, no doubt.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #10,925 of 13,800
"However, using profanity works best among those predisposed to your point of view.

If you’re trying to convince those who strongly disagree with you, bad language only reinforces their negative views, Stephens says. And that can cut your credibility.

Just make sure every other word you use isn’t a four-letter one. The cleaner your typical speech, the more effective a well-placed piece of profanity.

“A person who swears only occasionally commands more seriousness and respect when a swear word is used, versus the person who constantly swears,” says L.A.-based modern etiquette expert Maggie Oldham"

Clearly you never read the article...

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #10,926 of 13,800
  Can you screen grab your Options, Audio device, device settings and DSP & audio format? so I could help you better?

I use KS not ASIO.

About DSD256: Larry Ho said ALL Geek Pulses are DSD256 ready...

I think it requires a version of firmware that is still in beta.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #10,928 of 13,800
I think it requires a version of firmware that is still in beta.

Yep, you're right! Hardware is DSD256 ready... needs only a firmware upgrade to play.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #10,930 of 13,800
I do not have any DSD256 files. I can wait for firmware.
The dac has been a mixed bag. The purchasing and wait period was a big letdown. The Infinity product is tremendous. Great functionality and sound quality.
I have not heard the competition, but compared to what I have heard it is the best.
Buying one now at the current used prices would be a no brainer. Feel Larry will deliver over the long run.
The job shops used for subcontracting have killed many companies. I think LH Labs will find the right suppliers and get the little issues resolved.

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #10,931 of 13,800
The job shops used for subcontracting have killed many companies. I think LH Labs will find the right suppliers and get the little issues resolved.

Do you truly believe that subcontractors have been the major source of all the delays?

It may be expedient for LHL to continually point to production plant problems, dock strikes, etc.
These things seem to occur with regularity with them and offer convenient excuses for lack of proper internal management.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #10,932 of 13,800
Hi Geeks,

I get a clicking sound on some DSD64 albums, it's like music keeps playing but there I can hear tiny clicks which sound like there is something wrong with the recording.

I have recently updated my Windows driver to 3.26 and it did not help. My SFi is 1V5, Main is 2.0. What else can I do to enjoy these DSD64 albums with problem?

Are there any other SFi owners out there with this problem?

Thanks!
LR

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #10,933 of 13,800
No I do not think that suppliers are responsible for the delayed delivery. The method used of designing new products and marketing them prior to delivering products marketed a year earlier is the culprit for most of the logjam. You have to complete projects to prevent this from happening.
I think suppliers have been responsible for most of the small issues found in the delivered product. Whether USB problems, crosstalk on SPDIF inputs, intermittent distortion, or other squirrelly issues the board construction is the most likely cause. If it was a design flaw all would exhibit the problem.
A friend has the same board problems. Multi layer boards, surface mount construction, and high speed circuits are very intolerant of poor assembly. Batch to batch variations are common.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #10,934 of 13,800
And I would add that we are also partially to blame.

And time Larry asked us if we wanted this new shiny feature or that one, some percentage said yes...

And lhlabs added the feature... But also had to keep the old version too.

The feature matrix for the wave is just scary. I hope that they cull it down.

That being said there is also blame for lhlabs in this process, since adding a child if they want a bit more candy will inevitably result in them saying yes.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #10,935 of 13,800
  Hi Geeks,

I get a clicking sound on some DSD64 albums, it's like music keeps playing but there I can hear tiny clicks which sound like there is something wrong with the recording.

I have recently updated my Windows driver to 3.26 and it did not help. My SFi is 1V5, Main is 2.0. What else can I do to enjoy these DSD64 albums with problem?

Are there any other SFi owners out there with this problem?

Thanks!
LR

I have this problem with my Pulse SFi before, and it is not the Pulse's fault. The problem lies on USB streaming mode from your computer to the Pulse. When you plays DSD files, because of high load from CPU to stream DSD signal, it cause pops, clicks even drop outs if your ASIO buffer settings is wrong. So, you shouldd go  to Light Harmonic Control Panel > Buffer Settings, and test which options doesn't have the problems, and choose them. That kind of option depends on each computer, for my case it is Relaxed on USB Streaming mode with 2048 samples  Buffer size, and I  have no problems streaming DSD128 and DSD64.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back