Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 2, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #10,576 of 13,800
It would be useful if LHL notified users of these updates, or at least indicated the version number on those pages. I'd been blindly looking around the array of different bits and bobs there is.

That's been one of the main, of many, problems with LHL since the beginning. There's bits and bobs of information scattered all over the place. Then there's different info regarding the same topic from different LHL staff in different places. That's always been a challenge and prompted many of the "bring it all together in one place" threads over on the Geek Force V1 forums. 

Anyway, looks like I was SUPER lucky to have gotten my Infinity 2.0 when I did in October... I thought I was just finally part of the wave of units coming out, but not it's showing that I was just lucky to have gotten one of the few that made it out. Still crossing my fingers that my unit doesn't just crap out on me like the LPS4 did. Looking forward to getting that back next month some time.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #10,577 of 13,800
I saw a couple of weeks back that ifi-audio had released DC power plug range called iPower, which had lower noise levels than even the LPS/LPS4 (5uV i believe). The iPowers are supposed to have 1uV! Think i will be getting one and sell the LPS if i like it.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #10,579 of 13,800
I was looking at the iPower for my Geek Pulse as well and came across this new (not yet released) thing from iFi that's supposed to work with one's existing power supply and turn it into an iPower:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761310/ifi-audio-ipower-universal-ultra-low-noise-ac-dc-adapter/75#post_12129268

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #10,580 of 13,800
Happy New Year Guys!

I reacquired a Geek Pulse exactly one year later i sold the first one. My initial sound impression still hold, it has very good bass, lot of punch.

Enjoy the music!

Rgds
Alvin

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #10,581 of 13,800
Jan 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #10,582 of 13,800
Hey guys, anyone know how to get a more stable power through my desktop USB plugs? Sometimes when I plug out a front panel USB device, my pulse X get louder and clearer and overall better (it kind of resets in terms of sound). My pulse X is connected directly to my motherboard's back USB plugs, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #10,583 of 13,800
It seems that your computer has very poor USB power and no isolation between the USB ports. Two remedies come to mind.

1. Get a powered USB hub and only plug your accessories into that. You might also try plugging the Pulse into its own powered USB hub. One or both of those is likely to help, at least some. A powered hub, even a good one, is cheap enough to try, and a useful device to keep around your computer anyway.

2. If your budget is a bit greater, you might get a Schiit Wyrd ($99) or Uptone Audio USB Regen ($175). Ether of those would connect between the computer and DAC and isolate the DAC from the apparent computer nasties present in your USB ports in the computer. The powered hub mentioned in item 1 above would do much the same, but not nearly as well as these two devices.

J.P.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #10,585 of 13,800
Use the Reven with my Geek Out Special Edition, really like it Replaced my Vaunix powered hub.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #10,588 of 13,800
So, you are suggesting that he do nothing to try to correct the issues that he is experiencing?

J.P.

no the problem is corrected when i unplug devices from my front panel usb ports (USB webcam, External HDDs, etc. etc.). I usually only have my webcam plugged into my front panel. 
It seems that your computer has very poor USB power and no isolation between the USB ports. Two remedies come to mind.

1. Get a powered USB hub and only plug your accessories into that. You might also try plugging the Pulse into its own powered USB hub. One or both of those is likely to help, at least some. A powered hub, even a good one, is cheap enough to try, and a useful device to keep around your computer anyway.

2. If your budget is a bit greater, you might get a Schiit Wyrd ($99) or Uptone Audio USB Regen ($175). Ether of those would connect between the computer and DAC and isolate the DAC from the apparent computer nasties present in your USB ports in the computer. The powered hub mentioned in item 1 above would do much the same, but not nearly as well as these two devices.

J.P.

As I am currently out of town, I will try your solution when I get back and give an update. I still can't justify getting a 100 dollar powered usb hub though.

Anyone know if the amazon basic / anker (looking more at the anker) with  one would be good enough?

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #10,589 of 13,800
I don't have direct experience with any Anker hubs, but other products of theirs that I have bought have been very good. I would definitely prefer Anker over Amazon Basic.

[edit] I looked at Anker and most of their hubs are bus powered, which is what you do not want. Their AC powered hubs are more expensive. I did see one hub that I can recommend, as I have been using it for several years. I bought it because it has separate translators for each port which allows you to mix USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices without slowing down the USB 2.0 devices. Since it is an older product it is now dirt cheap too. It would make an excellent hub for your desktop accessories.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Hi-Speed-USB-4-Port-F5U234v1/dp/B000ERAOL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451927933&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+hub+belkin

J.P.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #10,590 of 13,800
I initiated a refund for the Infinity through amazon. It was fun while it lasted. Now I'm back waiting for my Pulse XFi to ship while listening to an ancient DAC. Talk about a tease. Talk about frustrating. This was my first and will be my last crowd funding. I'm contemplating buying the Schiit Ygg, and washing my hand from this experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back